Pet Names

annikarose

As I was reading through the "Unpopular Pets" topic, I was suddenly struck with a burning desire to know how everyone feels about their pet's names.

I named my older pets sometime during a ten-year Harry Potter obsession, and named all my pets at that time after obscure characters that I found in the HP wiki. So, I have "MisadoraBarkwith", "MungoBonham", and "QuongPo", named after a conductor, a doctor, and a dragonologist. I like the third one, but the first two are so long and cumbersome. I can call my Zafara "Misa" for short, but I don't want to call my Aisha "Mungo"!

My newer pets are also named after characters from books, and I don't care about underscores, and have "Reepicheep___", "Klaus__Baudelaire", and "Lee__Scoresby". Sometimes the name association makes it hard for me when I want to change the customization or my conception of the character which is kind of annoying. Like if I made Klaus an oafish soldier guy pet it wouldn't make sense with his name, and now I'm realizing I've limited myself preemptively.

Then when I started using PC, I fell in love with four-letter names. I'm way too attached to my pets to trade them just to get names, but every time I see a count with four lovely four-letter named pets, something OCD in me rises to the surface.

Do you care? Not care?

I think names would be important to me if there weren't so many taken - it's difficult to think of creative ones so I don't care as much. :P

My uni, Naexaerra, is based on a horse from some of Tolkien's works. It was literally the only middle-earth horse-related name that was available.

My gnorbu, EmpreorKuzco... self explanatory? Teehee!

I also have two tonus that I got from the pound. I don't particularly like their names, but I'm not picky.

I like the nickname "Mungo", though - nothing wrong with that! ^_^

As a whole, yes, I care. I prefer having pets with pronounceable names without numbers and underscores. I don't see myself as some kind of "name perfectionist," though. I do have avehx, and sometimes I wish the "a" was capitalized. Usually, it doesn't bother me, and I've pretty much stopped noticing.

The people who obsess over names in the PC (Pound Chat) can kind of bug me. I've never really understood the huge appeal to the RW (Real Word) pets. People trade amazing pets for them, even Draiks and maybe a UC once in a while. Personally, I'd be more impressed by an expensively-painted pet than one that was just lucky during a name purge.

I just want them to be properly written names - all my pets have their first letter capitalised, most of the names I have come up with myself, the exceptions being Blooglet (part of KEEN 6), Eurastus (found in the pound) and Etherdust (also found in the pound). I also don't see the appeal of RW or RN for that matter, I think it's much more fun to come up with funky names. And I love sort of longer names so 3L and 4L don't really impress me :D I just like coming up with names, I am especially proud of Liophena and Blueponk :D

Forgot to add Abaisse, who was adopted from a lovely TDN member - a dream pet with a perfect name :D

My gnorbu, EmpreorKuzco... self explanatory? Teehee!

Love it! Never made that connection before, ha.

The people who obsess over names in the PC (Pound Chat) can kind of bug me. I've never really understood the huge appeal to the RW (Real Word) pets. People trade amazing pets for them, even Draiks and maybe a UC once in a while. Personally, I'd be more impressed by an expensively-painted pet than one that was just lucky during a name purge.

I've never gotten the RW thing either. 'No, thank you, I don't want to trade for a pet named Shoes.'

I would probably pay a lot for a name I really liked, but I'm not exactly sure what that would be yet

I think it's much more fun to come up with funky names.

Yeah I agree... also Eurastus is an awesome name.

I cannot have a pet with numbers or underscores, I can't have usernames or emails with that either! It's so stereotypically 'internet', so I try hard to keep names original and not gibberish (but I do understand that there are limited names out there)

Moorlough is from the song 'Moorlough Shore' by Caroline Lavelle. I fell in love with that song for years, and even my fictional artist/writer studio is called Moorlough Studios and have a tattoo/character/concept called Moorlough

Nimhue is from 'Merlin' the TV series. It's a beautiful name and that's the way I spelt it although I've been informed that's the wrong spelling. Oh well! (it's pronounced 'nim-hoo/oo/u-way' )

Xanthrax is from my wanting to give a character the name Xanthras as an elegant but Gothic name, but someone already has that name XD So I changed the S to X (essentially just naming the end syllable harder)

I love it when people have really well thought out names for their pets.

Two of my pets names came from a series of books by Katherine Kerr: Adraegyn and Maddynneo(the dd is pronounced as a th) I don't remember why I added the Neo on the end. I think I just came up with ZeroCinq... it doesn't mean anything. lol And I was lucky enough to adopt LillytheGrundo!

I'm far from being obsessive with names...

For instance, not all of them are capped - because they came from the pound, were created in a rush or I traded for them.

A few of my pets have underscores, and I think their name is cute. Kinda like people who have composed first name such as Marie-Ève...

However...

I have 2 French RW pets that I created. I was going for a certain theme (having a bunch of pets whois names would start with "Anti".)

I have 2 RN pets, took me forever to find rare names that weren't already in used.

The rest of my pets have creative names, that don't mean anything and are usually capped, without numbers.

I've always thought it was French... "Zero" is zero, and "Cinq" is five. But I guess that wasn't what you were aiming for.

No no it is french. LOL But the 05 doesn't stand for anything. I just thought the two words sounded cool together. :-)

I like most of my pets names.

Permanent pets:

Batty_Scare_Freak - I'm not big on this one, but I love this pet to bits. I just call her Batty. I've had her for years and years

Ataraxiaa - I just love the word and the meaning

Einhe - I got her from the pound but I LOVE the name. I pronounce it I-nah, like one in German

Aameera - this one is a real name, and one of my favourites. It's Arabic and means life

Daoise - this one is pronounced Dee-shah (kind of like Saoirse which is a pretty Irish name I love) I was given this pet, but I LOVE the name

LabbyZzzap - I'm not a fan of this name, but the pet means a lot to me (it was given to me by a very good friend)

PrincessClea - I made this one. I love the name Clea and I was going to paint her Royal. I ended up zapping her Pink and I couldn't be happier. She's my favourite pet to customise

Diegen - I swear this was a word in a German song I learned for a choir festival, but all translating sites and my German-English dictionary claims it is not. I have no idea what it means, but I love the name. Pronounced dee-gan

Raylyna - I made this one - not crazy over it, but I like it

Ursulez - I traded for this pet, but I think the name is great, especially for the Zombie Usul that she is

Zanier - I'm not a huge huge fan of real word names, but I think this one really fits for my little Ghost Usul, and I love the Z sound

Drazyn - this is also a special pet a friend gave me, and I love the name. I've never heard anything like it

Elliehah - I love the name, but not the spelling - I prefer Ellia

Tiasis - tee-ah-sis I traded for this pet, but I like the name a lot

EllaBeatrix - I LOVE both of these names. Actually, if I had a baby girl right now I'd name her Vivianna Beatrix Elodie Joy

Pets Up for Trade (sooner I get these gone the better - I want to freeze the account most of these are on so I can use the one EllaBeatrix is on)

anonynimity - no capital unfortunately - I traded for the pet, not sure where the name came from

Academia - I created this name, but I have no real attachment to it

IvoryGrace - I do like this name, just not the pet

Yekiav - I don't like this name at all, I got if from the pound

Zerousa - I sort of like this name, but I have no attachment to the pet itself

All in all, names mean quite a bit to me, but I the pet means more to me than the name.

I usually use names in this format: Realname_Realname. I like it because it gives you the opportunity to give your pet two beautiful names. I don't mind the underscore at all (However, I do find underscores silly when used like this _xxxx_ or this xxxx_)

I feel a bit undecided about the name of my pet Baby_Ayu_chan. She's an Island Elephante and I found the name beautiful and very fitting before Neopets 2.0. Now she hardly looks like a Baby anymore and it's all a bit awkward =/

I just want them to be properly written names - all my pets have their first letter capitalised

I agree. I like properly written names. I like the first letter of the name (or each name if a multi-name) to be capitalized and I like underscores to separate the names, to make it like a first name and last name instead of a jumbled mess. Just my preference BUT I have pets from the pound who do not have properly written names but nice names and some not so nice names. I guess my main thing is the pet itself you can alway nickname them.

i hate unscores, and really dislike numbers in names now (yes this includes my username, but after all the effort i'm not shifting accounts :P)

i'm not fussed about the caplitalisation, and sometimes its intended that way, like my username here (its always tickles me when people capitalise my name, because thats not actually how i envision it :P)

i have one numbers and underscore pet, thats a pound pet though, and one underscore pet who has been with me for soo long i have learnt to overlook it. most i make up the names, either from words with meaning that i usually translate from another language and then tweak to make it sound how i want, or i make up a random syllable name thats sounds good to me, and has the sort of sound that i would associate with a created pets possible custom

e.g. Intalitraz is another random syllable name who was always intended to be my battle pet, annukii was always intended to be something cute :P

I do care about names, but a name doesn't necessarily have to be a RN or RW. Misspelled RN's or RW's can be cool to, and the same goes for made up names and words., I do like my petnames capitalized though, so all my pets' names are. I don't like numbers and underscores on pet names, I don't care about usernames. I only have one name with an underscore, and that is a gifted pet. :)

My pets:

Swempel the MSPP; I traded for him. He is the tough guy. b)

Gunnslinger the brown Draik; Hatched him myself. His name was created after the character I had in mind for him. He's my baby! ♥

Phooca the Nightsteed; Created him myself, also after a character I had in mind.

Mindgame, my labpet. Picked him/her up from the pound. Eventually he will be a krawk. :)

Centaureon the Dari Peo; Created her myself, got up with the name because my friends horse was called Centaur.

Darkbeauty_ the mara korbat; got her from a kind neopian. :)

Freyandi the red Korbat: Created him myself, but I dont know why XD

Yoannah the red Peo; Created her myself; she is named after me. :P (my middle name is Joanna)

Coruypt the MSPP: Traded for her. She is Swempel's girlfriend. :P

Illauss the Ty Jetsam; picked up from the pound because I liked the name, and zapped. :)

Phylyra the Robo Uni; Created and zapped. I think the name is pretty ^_^

Avemde the Dari Cy; Created and zapped, I love that name

Cameloth the red Uni; created him myself. he will be royal someday. I think his name is awesome!

Jackolyn the Jelly uni; Created and zapped, named after me (Jacqueline)

Teirella the skunk tonu; Picked up from the pound because I loved the name and zapped.

Arvanda and Farono the red poogles: Created 4 Poogles on Poogle day to try and zap. I gave 2 of my 4 Poogies to TDNFers because a poogle was their dreamie though. I really like their names too

I have pets with numbers, underscores, real words, and made up words xD

I honestly do not mind any of the names as long as I can give it a nickname. So if the pet's name is just all numbers, then I wouldn't take it.

I have one pet named pangy_05_pangy_ that I adopted from the pound and I just call her Pangy ^^

I have sabrignome who was my original pet, an Ixi I painted Halloween. I have rippet9 (was originally a chomby thats why I took her) I wanted a pirate chomby but then zapped her into a battle pet that eventually turned into a Peach Chia. I also have BluminMutant, who is an UC Tyrannian Blumaroo :) and VampireLenore which I picked up at the pound and then by some stroke of luck zapped into a Wraith Bruce a week later. Couldnt have gotten a much luckier zap with a name like that! I also have Edwiird the Mutant Gnorbu, he was a dream pet and I thought the name fit him well. What do you guys think of my pet's names?

I like my names to begin with a capital, have no underscores, and no numbers. Incidentally, that doesn't apply to my account as my main doesn't have a capital and includes an underscore, and my sides are exactly the same - only they include a number too!

I am mainly happy with the pet names I have, except one that I felt I named in a bit of a rush and wish I'd have picked something better, and two others that have the word Little at the beginning. Some of the names I choose are fairly long, but they're pronounceable, I think. I make the names up for the most part.

[Edit] I like the names you have, sabrignome! VampireLenore and Edwiird are my favourites. :)

Edited by CrazyBiscuit

I can kinda see the appeal of RW named pets, but only if they're easily adaptive to a personality. Like my Xweetok is called "Soft" and she'll one day be a plushie something! But I also have a pet called "Globe" that I haven't found a great personality for so will probably try to trade some day.

But generally I'm not that name-fussy. My favourite pet is called "iz9piper" (Iz for short) and while I'd change it if I could, I would never give Iz up D: Otherwise I like shorter names, that have some possible way of pronoucing them, and look like names rather than gibberish :P

I like RW/N names that are actually things you'd call someone or your pet or whatever. As someone said above, no, Shoes does not appeal to me as a name. I did see a brilliant pet called You, however. I wouldn't go crazy trying to trade for a name like that, however.

Like most other things, I tend to see gibberish names as a challenge. For example, I've finally settled on a name for my chocolate Ogrin, Usiq (meaning one). Obviously it's not his real name, but I did have the freedom to choose one of literally hundreds of names for him.

If a name is a word, I prefer capitalized first letters (but there's codes to change that on lookups etc) that could be pronounced, even if it takes a bit of effort. I'd take a made up name over, say, Dystynnyy.

I abhor names that have a specific colour or species in them. I just don't fell right zapping them something different then chucking them in the pound. I could see it working for a double agent or something, "Yes, of course I'm a Garrl, what are you talking about?"

"Sir, you are clearly a Jubjub."

"... Yes, well."

Also names with stuff like "OnlyhereforBGC" - way to create pound filler. There's so many pets for stuff like that floating around in the pound that it'd probably be quicker just to adopt.

Finally, I don't mind underscores at the end of names, or to separate first/surnames. I really dislike them just at the front for some reason.

I love all of my pets names. I've generally created all of my permanent pets. When creating, or trading, I don't go for numbers or underscores. I always capitalize the first letter. A couple of my original pets have 2 words together, like my Shoyru, SpritzieBlue, or my Kougra EmeraldMount. I don't do that anymore, generally, though I don't mind it.

Also, I don't mind non-real words or names. If it looks nice, that's what matters. (Like I made up a few of my pet names, like 2 of my Hissi's, Kaeixen and Komikae) I've also slightly changed spellings, like with my current lab pet Cataclyism.

I have done a species specific name, but it was for one of my permanent pets. It would be my Kau, Kautiousness.

Gotta say, Gunnslinger is an awesome name for a male pet! A lot of the other names people have mentioned creating in this thread are great names in my opinion. I tend to like longer names that have a nice sound to them and I prefer to have a single name (no last name) without numbers or underscores. There are definitely short names that are great too, but they're a bit more of a challenge to create.

Leurabelle was created because I like names that begin with 'L', I wanted something that sounded feminine, and I like flowers. I realize that fleur and leur are completely different words in French, but I wanted the name to start with an L and I thought Leurabelle sounded nice. :)

Fideifensor is a mash of Latin I found on wikipedia. 'Defendor of Faith' is the translation it was based off of. I wanted to create a pet that my husband could think of as his own without actually needing to create an account or play neopets, so he chose the species and we came up with the name together. :) So now I can tell him about how I've customized 'his pet' or how I'm putting 'his pet' into training.

Now I'm pretty fussy about names. I like them to be capitalised, numbers are a definite no and most of the time I don't like underscores. I don't mind if they're not real world names or words - just as long as they sound nice. I recently adopted a few pets from the pound and while the spellings aren't typical, I love the names - like Tohmora, Kirbyh and Chyera. While I was looking through the pound website, I saw a lot of species-specfic names like Kacheek345 - I hate those. I don't see the point of them when there are so many pets in the pound that could be used for avatars.

The only exceptions are the two pets I created when I first joined Neopets. Both have numbers and one isn't capitalised but I could never part with them. They have a sentimental value that means their names don't really matter.

My first account had terrible pet names, things like yurbie__yurb__neo and other ridiculous things with underscores and numbers and no capitalization. Now that I'm older I care a little bit more about these things. I need the first letter capitalized, no underscores, and no numbers. I like names that have to do with the actual pet name for some reason; here are some pets I've named in the past.

Shoykyke- An orange Shoyru

Turquoso- A mutant Yurble

Nymphadorus- A strawberry Gelert that I traded

Kogku- My ice kougra

Etzurai- Was an 8-bit Aisha- I also traded her.

Xephyrite- A blue Gelert that I named.

I also have Chonwip which I was traded- I'm not a HUGE fan of the name, but it's not bad. I was also traded Aqolien, my poogle- I like that name though :) I also have Clioa a blue Jetsam which I found in the pound. I also have CoolWater the Chomby- again I'm not a huge fan of the double capital, but I would like to make him Maraquan if given the chance and I think the name would fit.