The Pound: should it truly be "fair game?"

GuardianAwesome

What I mean is if a situation like this happened:

You're going pound surfing, and you stumble across an amazing named and/or LE/restricted and/or rare-colored pet. You manage to catch it, and you're very happy with your luck.

Then you get a Neomail from a person who claims that they were doing a pound transfer, and that they cared about getting the pet very much. They'd really like to have it back. Even the other trader could try and verify this.

So, now what would you do?

First of all, I'd like to note that the situation never actually happened to me. I don't really know how I would react to it, though, and was curious what you guys thought. "Pound is fair game" can be a pretty harsh rule if you think about it, but on the other hand, if the owners truly cared, they would be patient and use the transfer option. That's what it's there for.

Any thoughts?

Finders Keepers , I always say

there's no proof that person actually owned the pet ... they might be just a sore loser 'cuz you got the pet before them ... but if they could provide proof .. then I might give it back ...

however , this is not a strict rule ... one time (before pound update) I got a mutant lenny in the pound .. i found the previous owner's name on his lookup ... so i neomailed her asking if she wanted him back ... and she was very nice about it - she said it's ok .. keep it ...

It's not a question. It is fair game. The point of transfers is to avoid losing your pet like this. They used to not have transfers. So yeah no excuses anymore.

I agree with this. If someone doesn't want to risk losing their pet, than they should wait until their account has the transfers. I see no issue with the fair game aspect of it. Granted, that's also what pushes me to wait until I have transfers available, instead of trying to be quick about it, which I find to be a good thing.

I've had it happen to me once. I found a nicely painted LE pet, I think it was a Kiko, and I received a NM about it. Even though I didn't have to, I returned it because it wasn't a huge deal to me, and if they thought it was enough to send me a message, whether it was really their pet or not, that was fine with me.

It's not a question. It is fair game. The point of transfers is to avoid losing your pet like this. They used to not have transfers. So yeah no excuses anymore.

Well placed! TNT wasn't too fond of people transferring pets to begin with! The rule was established to clear any sort of confusion. The fact that it still turns into an issue must boggle their minds. Plus, technically, you're teaching them a lesson in patience. If a pet was that valuable to you -- you'd wait. 4 weeks tops. Not a big deal.

I do agree with what people are saying, that it is completely fair to keep the pet if you got it first. However, if someone were to nm me about their pet, i would probably end up giving it back to them. :P

Yep, I see it as fair game. Of course it wouldn't be fun to lose a pet in the pound, but that's a risk you take with pound transferring. If someone can't wait 4 weeks maximum then it seems as though they really don't care about the pet to risk losing it in the pound. I've heard the excuse of losing a good trade because they ran out of transfers, but I've been in that situation before and decided to decline the trade because I wasn't going to risk the pet in the pound.

I agree that it's fair game, but I think in the theoretical situation offered, I'd probably give it back if they asked nicely and provided proof. But that's just because I can be nice. I don't think anyone should feel an obligation to give the pet back - patience and intelligence dictate that if you want a transfer, you should wait for the option to use a transfer. I agree with lilshadowdweller's point about TNT's pound update completely.

I agree with neoskulltula. People know the risks of a pound transfer or should by now.

However this has happened to me in the past. I impulsed a VWN painted Buzz from the pound, and later recieved a neomail from someone saying their account had been hacked and their pets pounded. I offered to give the pet back, but she asked could I wait a month and transfer him to her. At this point I only had one transfer a month so I said that I couldn't but I'd be more than happy to arrange a time for a pound transfer. She never got back to me so I sent her a neomail like two weeks later saying when I was pounding the pet, and that I hope she got him.

I wanted to help but she clearly didn't want the pet back that much so meh :/

Yes, I certainly think that if someone loses a pet like that, it is their fault. When you do a pound transfer, you know what the risks are, and if you make the choice to do that, instead of waiting, then that's the risk you run, and if you lose the pet, then it's your loss. However, I'd probably give the pet back. I know how attached I am to my pets :)

While I agree its fair game, I'd probably place the pet where it was intended to go depending on the level of its stats. If it was just a rare color and level 1, I'd probably tell them to leave me alone, lol. If it was high level with some impressive stats I might investigate more into the matter simply because of the time investment and np investment that goes into a pet like that. I definitely wouldn't bother over a name though.

This actually has happened to me before. I found a speckled lenny, (which happens to be my profile pic right now) from the pound, and the owner, a two year old account, proceded to call me some bad things, and was eventually frozen. A two year old account, frozen for a 40-50k paint job.

yikes - did they lend their friend without permission? :-S i hope you get your pet back! D;

Her kindness led to her getting a very well named darling pink koi that she adores. I've only been on this side of the fence, but I'm ever so thankful that the girl returned my snow pet :)

aww. ^_^ i once was pound transferring (and lost!) a vwn grey gnorbu, but the person was so nice about it that i ended up gifting it to him. being classy / polite is always the way to go imho, both irl and ol!

I agree. If you're too impatient to wait to use a transfer, it's fair if someone else happens to snap up your pet. However, I usually adopt WNs to zap and then adopt out, so if someone mails me about a pet I get from the pound, I'll repound/transfer because I don't have room for a lot of extra pets. If they cared enough to mail me about it, they obviously want it more than I do.

I've had it happen multiple times to me, where I lent out a pet and it got stolen. However, this was back before transfers existed. Now, there is absolutely no excuse.

Exceeeept...I read through some of the stories on here. Stolen accounts--yup, good excuse. Pet lent to someone else through transfer, and THAT person decides to do something stupid--yup, good excuse. For stolen accounts, the best advice I can give is to use a PIN, which does work in many cases, but it's not 100% foolproof. With the lending to someone else, that's hard, because you want to be a nice person, but some people just don't think things through. (Not talking about the nice person here; talking about the one who decided to lend out YOUR pet without your permission.)

I haven't tested this in a long time (seven years or so) but webpages used to stay the same even after you pound the pet and it's adopted. It didn't revert back to the default page for the pet. If you change something small--for example, when it says something like "I love #USERNAME very much" you could change #USERNAME to your actual username. This, at least, would be solid proof that you had the pet, and the person who stole your account probably wouldn't spot that. It may have changed over the years, though.

If that DOES work, that would be a good thing to do for all your pets. I'm going to go test it with the grarrl I adopted yesterday for BGC.

EDIT: Rats. That doesn't work. The site immediately reverts back to the default page.