Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

I have no idea what you're trying to say.

On a random note, I just tried out OpenOffice.org and it's not bad, especially considering it's free.

It's a free office suite, almost as good as Microsoft Office. It's missing a feature here and there but so far I haven't found anything glaring.

And I still don't really get what you guys are talking about. XD

Why don't you have Microsoft Word Usemaster?

He prolly has XP Home edition, Home doesn't come with Microsoft Word.

I have XP Home, but I have an old program called Corel Wordperfect Suite 8 to compensate.

I have XP home, and I installed Microsoft Office on it, but recently I tried out OpenOffice and decided to switch (although I still left Microsoft Office on the computer so that my parents didn't go mad).

In the future if I need an office suite I'll just download OpenOffice instead of forking up more than US$100 for a Microsoft Office suite.

Well if you need a word processor, it's fine, although whether or not it's worth it depends on your internet connection - it's a hefty download, over 100MB.

Well the main reason I switched to OpenOffice is because it's open source. GO OPEN SOURCE!!!

Open source software is software whose source code is made available to the public. That means that it can be worked on by the community instead of employees. This in turn means that developers (like me!) who actually use the software can get involved in the project and fiddle around with things, improving it and adding their own stuff which they actually find useful, instead of everything being done by a big company which THINKS it knows what its users want, but actually doesn't.

Nope - it refers to projects like Firefox, OpenOffice and Ubuntu Linux, where most of the actual making of the program is done by volunteer developers from around the world.