Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

Yup, because Celcius is based on water, whereas Fahrenheit was more randomly made (basically a guy decided to make a temperature scale where 0 was set as the coldest day of that year, and 100 the hottest day of that year).

Now does anybody know the freezing point in Kelvin? o_O

No looking it up now - that's cheating :P

Not to kill it, but we don't get snow here :(

In fact, is snow what it's hyped up to be? I've never seen real snow.

Snow is amazing! You get a whole day just to goof off and play in it. The next few days are AWFUL. Too much ice on the roads, muddy slush, and stupid traffic. It all slows down here :S it's so annoying afterward

Oh, don't try and walk on ice either :P That's not smart. Trust me :D

Here I am in the tropics while you guys are all talking about snow. :P I have been to a ski slope before when I was living in New Zealand though. It was pretty fun, although I was too young to actually ski then.

Yup, because Celcius is based on water, whereas Fahrenheit was more randomly made (basically a guy decided to make a temperature scale where 0 was set as the coldest day of that year, and 100 the hottest day of that year).

Really? If I recall correctly, Fahrenheit was actually based on the freezing and boiling points of alcohol. I could be wrong though. I'll look it up sometime.

Now does anybody know the freezing point in Kelvin? o_O

No looking it up now - that's cheating :P

Kelvin is a useful scientific scale, with the same increments as the Celsius scale, but shifted so that 0 lines up with absolute zero (i.e. the coldest you can get, with no heat energy at all). Absolute zero is approximately -273 degrees Celsius, and the freezing point of water is 273 Kelvin. :)

Fun fact: I once accidentally put down 237 on an exam. xD

Edit: Okay, the actual basis for the Fahrenheit scale is pretty amusing, at least to me. Wikipedia quote coming right up.

According to an article Fahrenheit wrote in 1724, he based his scale on two reference points of temperature. The zero point is determined by placing the thermometer in brine: he used a mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride, a salt. This is a frigorific mixture which automatically stabilizes its temperature at 0 °F. (A mixture of ice and water also stabilizes, either freezing or melting at 32 °F though Fahrenheit did not use this point in defining his temperature scale). The second point, 100 degrees, was the level of the liquid in the thermometer when held in the mouth or under the armpit of his wife — subsequent refinements. Fahrenheit noted that, using this scale, water boils at about 212 degrees.

Snow is cold and miserable and it gets in your boots and melts and makes your feet wet and cold.

Yes, but don't you guys have snow fights and stuff?

To clear things up, NZ does get snow, just not where I live.

When your a kid yeah you can do snowball fights and build forts and stuff...but when your an adult it's cold and miserable and you have to clean your car off and roads are treacherous and you have to scrape your windows and shovel the driveway and sidewalks and then transit takes forever and your waiting in the cold at -30 for the bloody bus to show up a half-hour late.

Hahahaha. Oh my gosh, am I ever getting a kick out of the snow conversation! I live in the Okanagan Valley, in BC, Canada. Right now, it's snowing outside. Again. And to be honest, I really don't mind! The Christmas decorations are up, and it just wouldn't be Christmas without snow!

I mean sure, the busses are slower, and so is most everyone else (at least, if they're not being entirely stupid, and driving like it's perfect weather, that is), but the world just looks so clean and fresh, and the air is so crisp and clean, and clear. It's actually warmer when it snows, because there are clouds. When there's no clouds it gets REALLY REALLY cold. We had temperatures of -32C here last week. Man that was cold.

I personally love the snow, as you might have surmised already. My cat, however, begs to differ! Hahahahaha.

When your a kid yeah you can do snowball fights and build forts and stuff...but when your an adult it's cold and miserable and you have to clean your car off and roads are treacherous and you have to scrape your windows and shovel the driveway and sidewalks and then transit takes forever and your waiting in the cold at -30 for the bloody bus to show up a half-hour late.

This is what I always tell everyone. It was fun when I was younger, but now I want to be warm, dry, and not worry about getting my car totaled because people don't understand how to drive on snow/ice.

I love really cold weather. Watching the snow from the comfort of my house it nice. Not really going out and playing in it.

I'll probably start hating it by next year, when I'm gonna be driving. I will miss not hating you, snow. :-(

I'm the same. I think snow is beautiful when I'm inside. But I don't like having to drive in it. It's really stressful. But then again, one of my favorite moments, is when it's snowing at night and it's so quite you can actually hear the snow hitting the ground. That's amazing to me.

And that is why snow PWNs Ryan. He has no experience in snow, and will become a popsicle when he does get in snow.

My husband lived in Florida nearly all his life, so he'd never seen snow before he moved to Colorado. And he loved it. (And still does.) The cold affects me more than it affects him.

Yes, I made the mistake of trying to go utside with only a long-sleeve shirt. After an hour I put on anothe shirt an a jacket.

Much better.

That was still one of the best trips of my life though. Would've been better without the dances, a few more heaters, and oh, I don't know, maybe about 20 more degrees but whatever. :P

Btw, THE SCRIPT IS RELEASING A NEW ALBUM. -jumps exctedly-

-is listening to For the First Time from the new album-

Lol, that's kinda awesome, Spritzie. xD

Ryan would never survive living in New York. There's not a lot of snow, but it's a lot of blazing, piercing cold that feels like daggers ripping into your face, engulfing you and any exposed part of your body freezing to the point that it's a cold flame dancing on your skin, burning you and leaving you frost bitten.

I want everyone to try and picture that in their mind. ^_^

Here I am in the tropics while you guys are all talking about snow. :P I have been to a ski slope before when I was living in New Zealand though. It was pretty fun, although I was too young to actually ski then.

Ah the un-snowy tropics. I like skiing. :yes:

I laughed so hard over the Wikipedia thing. :laughingsmiley: