Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

EDIT: Nope, you just have to be 16 to get certain jobs. Child labor laws and suchlike.

Yeah, at 14, you can apply to be an assistant at a Day Care Center, or a bag boy at a supermarket.

What sort of job are you going for CAV?

Can Stacker at the local supermarket. b)

How exactly do you hug freedom from job pressure?

Very, very carefully. If you put too much pressure on it, you might just get that job pressure!

I should apply for a job.... *sigh* But I won't. I'll just hope for an awesome scholarship, or there's no way I'm paying for college.

EDIT: So I'm not the only one?? :O I was afraid I was abnormal for enjoying repetitive tasks.

That's the kind of work I don't mind doing. I'm actually a fan of repetitive tasks, probably why I like neopets so much :P

I want to do it because it would be easy. Just stack cans for a while. Get paid. Get out.

Labor laws say you can start working at 14, but you need to be 15 to handle food. That being said, most places won't hire 14-year-olds and usually want people who are at least 16 (so they're more mature or something). That's the case for Pennsylvania, at least, but I think it's probably the same nation-wide.

I should apply for a job.... *sigh* But I won't. I'll just hope for an awesome scholarship, or there's no way I'm paying for college.

Getting a job isn't really going to pay for college. Trust me, minimum wages after taxes is really low. I just work for a little extra spending money.

But knowing you, you're gonna get a scholarship :P

Labor laws say you can start working at 14, but you need to be 15 to handle food. That being said, most places won't hire 14-year-olds and usually want people who are at least 16 (so they're more mature or something). That's the case for Pennsylvania, at least, but I think it's probably the same nation-wide.

That law is nation-wide. I've seen requirements for fast food joints. And like I said, I would NEVER work for McDonalds.

Thank you, Will. I certainly hope I do. :D

And of course I don't expect minimum wage to pay for college. Goodness, after Econ class, I hardly expect anything to pay for anything anymore. 0_0 *has a very cynical Econ teacher* Incidentally, we're studying labor laws and suchlike this unit.

Thanks Bean. ^_^ Right now I'm not so worried about getting a scholarship as getting the scholarship I really need for the particular college I really really want to attend. They give out 4 of this scholarship each year, and it's full-ride. Meals, board, tuition, everything. And it totals to, oh, $180,000? :whistle:

Wow, that's not that many scholarships. Good luck!

Divya you'll probably get a scholarship too. 1400+ on the SATs Freshman year is pretty promising :laughingsmiley:

I doubt I could get a scholarship to JHU, which is my first choice right now. It's hard because my parents insist that I go to one of the nation's top colleges, and it's just unlikely that I'll get a scholarship to those. A full one, that is.

I wonder how much MIT would cost. That's where I want to go.

It's roughly 38k for the tuition, 11k for the room and board. Another 3k for books and personal expenses, and multiply that for 4 years, you're looking at $208,000 for your full 4 years.

Edit: Yeah, it's gonna be rough. And it's like good grades isn't exactly gonna cut it either. I wonder if getting into those colleges is even going to make financial sense for me.

Will, are your parents Ivy-League-only parents? I have a few friends whose parents do that too. I'm really glad mum is okay with me not going to an Ivy. I mean, I could - I've got the grades for it and stuff - but I don't want to. I've fallen in love with a little SC college called Furman University. :wub_anim: And it's close to Ivy status. Furman's chem department is fourth in the nation, after 3 Ivys.

EDIT: Johns-Hopkins? Excellent school! I really hope you can get enough of a scholarship to go. =]