Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

That makes 50% of the people with 9/11 in their siggy non-american.

Wait what? I'm non american???

Cav is the only american out of all the people with 9/11 in their siggy.

Not 9/11. I have the WTC. What's wrong with that?

9/11 was a terrorist attack on all of the world. Not just America and New York. Because people from 89 different countries died in the attack.

JB is showing respect. He doesn't need to be a part of America or NY to do that, now does he?

And if you don't want me to be the only American with a WTC siggy, then I can make one for you.

Neither of us is saying it's bad to show respect.

And thank you, but I'm very happy with my siggy. Never changed it, probably never will. Same goes for my name. So I'm stuck with lowercase livvy forever. :rolleyes_anim:

On Facebook today, the first 14 people on my News Feed had changed their statuses to something about 9/11.

Personally, I find it ridiculous. So many worse things have happened before, and yet, 9/11 is the only one that gets as much notoriety as it does.

Don't get me wrong. There are more terrible things that happened in US history. But 9/11 is the worst attack on US soil in history.

So no. Nothing happened that is worse than 9/11.

That's because it was on American soil. It brings it a bit close to home. Not many things of that nature happen in America. Also, the sheer thought of planes being flown into buildings is just ridiculous and was hard for a lot of us to comprehend when it happened.

It's one of those events where everyone who is old enough will remember exactly what they were doing when they first heard about it, like the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

EDIT: CAV, you ninja'd me with the whole American soil thing! haha. Guess we're on the same wavelength.

I dunno. I can't remember a Pearl Harbor day. And you won't ever see a signature with a "Battle of Gettysburg" in July.

And in case you're wondering, there were over 4 times the number of deaths in the Battle of Gettysburg than on 9/11, and 500 more people died on the attack at Pearl Harbor than on 9/11.

Edit: Yeah, but my point is they didn't bring up Pearl Harbor at its anniversary every year.

Pearl Harbor:

188 U.S. aircraft were destroyed, 2,402 personnel were killed

9/11:

The death toll of the attacks was 2,977, excluding the 19 hijackers. The overwhelming majority of casualties were civilians.

9/11 is the worst attack in American history. Battle of Gettysberg was a fight in the Civil War. 9/11 was an attack, that had NOTHING to do with any war.

We messed up in the Civil War by allowing the nation to tear apart. It was our fault.

We did nothing to the terrorists. We did nothing to cause them to attack us.

For people of my grandparents' generation, Pearl Harbor day (there is one by the way) is still poignant. My grandma has a birthday on that day, and she doesn't like to acknowledge that both are on the same day.

It's not necessarily the number of deaths; it's the horror of the act. It's not a normal war/battle when planes full of innocent people are commandeered in order to hit buildings that are also full of innocent people. (I suppose the Pentagon would be the exception since it's a government building, but I would still venture to call those innocent people.)

And for the record, I can see where all those facebook statuses would be a little ridiculous. However, I think it's important to never forget. That's why we study history - Gettysburg should have importance as well. It's still rather a big deal in PA.

9/11 is this generation's JFK assassination. No longer is it "Where were you when JFK died?" Now it's "Where were you when 9/11 happened?"

Me? I was at school. I was in third grade when it happened, and all the teachers had been told not to show the elementary kids, in case they knew someone who worked there. A lot of teachers didn't listen. Mine did. I didn't see the news programs, or hear the story that day; I only knew something was wrong, I could see it in the teachers' faces.

Three years later, on the way to school, I saw a magnet on the back of someone's car, mentioning 9/11. I asked mum "When are they going to stop talking about 9/11? It's been FOREVER." (Hey, I was like, maybe 12, three years was a quarter of my lifetime.) She looked at me seriously and answered "Probably never. Until something else happens."

Pearl Harbor:

9/11:

9/11 is the worst attack in American history. Battle of Gettysberg was a fight in the Civil War. 9/11 was an attack, that had NOTHING to do with any war.

We messed up in the Civil War by allowing the nation to tear apart. It was our fault.

We did nothing to the terrorists. We did nothing to cause them to attack us.

Unfortunately that number didn't include the number of civilian deaths, but the number's closer than I thought (I estimated the number of deaths in 9/11 x_x)

And actually, you could say we have done a lot. A lot of people actually hate us, believe it or not, because we think we're good enough to but into their problems. American influence can be seen all over the world, and there are a lot of people who don't want it there.

It's not necessarily the number of deaths; it's the horror of the act. It's not a normal war/battle when planes full of innocent people are commandeered in order to hit buildings that are also full of innocent people. (I suppose the Pentagon would be the exception since it's a government building, but I would still venture to call those innocent people.)

And it's more normal for bombs to be dropped on Japan, killing a quarter million innocent civilians and rendering the land practically uninhabitable and resulting in the death of cities? War's horrible. And sometimes I feel like this hype over 9/11 fuels this anti-Muslim mindset that grips most of America.

And for the record, I can see where all those facebook statuses would be a little ridiculous. However, I think it's important to never forget. That's why we study history - Gettysburg should have importance as well. It's still rather a big deal in PA.

Actually, it's not a big deal here in PA. It's just something we learned in history class as the turning point of the Civil War.

And I'm not saying we should forget. Just this thing every year is kinda ridiculous in my opinion.

And actually, you could say we have done a lot. A lot of people actually hate us, believe it or not, because we think we're good enough to but into their problems. American influence can be seen all over the world, and there are a lot of people who don't want it there.

I've been saying this to EVERYONE all the time! I'm glad to see that someone agrees with me on this!

We are the jerkwads of the world. And when I say it to someone, they disagree and yell at me.

However, we never did anything to the terrorists themselves. And according to what I've heard, the main reason the terrorists attacked is to scare America, and to make us weak. In other words: They just want corruption.

As for where I was: I was 4 years old and in Kidergarden. All of a sudden bells rang and I was told to get to the hallway and cover my head. After about an hour, we were sent home. When I got home, I saw my mother, grandmother, godfather, and my little brother (8 months old at the time) sitting around the TV. The smoke from the towers reached right in front of my kitchen window, and at one point, it got in because the window was open.

Haha it's so true though. And that's another reason why I disliked the whole reaction to the 9/11 incident. It was pretty much "How could anybody ever want to do this to us?!?" We are so arrogant <_<

And just because we didn't do anything personally to them doesn't mean they did it for no reason other than to scare us. They may have just hated how we happened to be in every issue all the time and how we basically controlled how international affairs worked around the world. They may have seen themselves as heroes trying to break the US dominance. Remember, nobody sees themselves as the bad guy.

Haha it's so true though. And that's another reason why I disliked the whole reaction to the 9/11 incident. It was pretty much "How could anybody ever want to do this to us?!?" We are so arrogant <_<

And just because we didn't do anything personally to them doesn't mean they did it for no reason other than to scare us. They may have just hated how we happened to be in every issue all the time and how we basically controlled how international affairs worked around the world. They may have seen themselves as heroes trying to break the US dominance. Remember, nobody sees themselves as the bad guy.

I don't know. I agree with how we meddle in everyone's business. But if you don't want us to be somewhere, tell us. Don't kill thousands of innocent lives that didn't do a DANG thing to you.

My mother's friend lost her mother in the attacks. Did she do anything to them? No. Did those firefighters did anything to them? No.

I don't want to get too serious about this 9/11 convo, as I'm a very un-opinionated person, but to add to the butting in part:

America_Has_Spoken_by_humon.jpg

Quite a few things in here that needs an explanation.

America loves to meddle in other countries affairs, despite knowing very little about the countries.

Not my words, as shown by the quotes box, but very true.