Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

You could always have dived, rolled, gone under the bee, and ran the other way.

And there's always the option of running towards your friends so they have to flee with you. :P

I got my first bee sting last year. It's most ridiculous, the way that I got stung.

For a bit of background: I'm a botanist. I'm currently working on a project, doing plant surveys along high-voltage power lines. I'm outdoors, all summer, walking through forests and fields of raspberry bushes, tall grasses, and wildflowers. There are bees everywhere (and mosquitoes and blackflies).

One day, after coming home from work, I did my laundry, including my work clothes. When the wash cycle finished, I found a dead bumble bee in the bottom of the washing machine, missing it's stinger. I guess it had gotten caught in my clothes while I was working, then died in the wash. I hadn't been stung by it, so while I was hanging my clothes on the line, I kept checking everything to see if I could find the stinger. No luck.

A couple days later, I was grocery shopping and I felt this strange pain in my foot, near my little toe. It hurt to walk, like I had a blister on my toe or something. I thought that the pain would just go away after a couple of minutes, but it didn't. When I left the store, I took of my shoe and sock to check my foot, and my toe was very swollen. Then I remembered the dead bee in the washer. I had been stung by my sock!

Wow, what a way to get stung. XD I got stung by a wasp the other day while swimming. I was trying to kill it with a flyswatter, but it managed to slip off and land on my wrist.

I smell sabotage. :shiftyeyes_anim:

I thought that said cabbage. I was very amused and would also make that face.

I figured that my name would be something religous. On state tests, my name appears as "Christ" because Christopher is too long. I believe that when I see "Christ" on state tests instead of Christopher, it means that Jesus has blessed me. And then I do really well on those tests.

Haha, that's pretty sweet.

I fear water where you can't see bottom. But my actual fear is the CREATURES in the water where you can't see bottom.

I'm practically blind without my glasses on so I pretty much can't see the bottom even in the 3 foot clear ocean and yesterday I stepped on a crab, jellyfish, and giant clam shell.

I got my first bee sting last year. It's most ridiculous, the way that I got stung.

I had been stung by my sock!

Haha, sorry you got stung but that is hilarious.

XD. I remember when I was little, around 9 or 10, I was out walking in the woods. A bee happened to land on near my eyebrow. The exact place, I don't really remember :worried: I figured if I wouldn't move, or make any noises, the bee would simple fly away. Well... that didn't work! The flipping thing stung me, and it hurt like heck. This is the only time Ican remember being stung.

There is no way I could have stayed calm if a bee landed on me. I would freak and start swatting everywhere :P

I thought if I would have done that, then the bee would have stung me out of fear. :/ But it didn't help, and it stung me anyway.

Is it true that bees die when they sting you? I have always wondered that...

Yeah. I wasn't 100% sure, so I googled it. Article

It's sort of sad after you read that. :/

Aw, that is so sad! The only thing is that why would they sting you if they know that they are going to die? Why wouldnt they just fly away? Silly female honeybees...

Remember, they're workers. Regardless of weither they sting you or not, they will die within 2 weeks. When they try to sting you, it's because they see you as a threat to the hive, and more importantly, the queen bee. So they sting you so you can get away from the hive, and the bee sacrifices itself for the sake of bee-manity.

Such a tragic story indeed...

I had been stung by my sock!

That's crazy! It's pretty neat that you study botany though. Maybe I should study something that has field work involved... it's a good excuse to go places outside. Though I suppose some fieldwork is no fun at all.

I'm practically blind without my glasses on so I pretty much can't see the bottom even in the 3 foot clear ocean and yesterday I stepped on a crab, jellyfish, and giant clam shell.

Oh freaky! I love jellyfish in aquariums, but I think it would really freak me out if I saw one in the ocean where I was swimming. My boyfriend is afraid of dark water. Not being able to see the bottom freaks him out. This story would probably freak him out too (he's pretty blind without his glasses as well).

Is it true that bees die when they sting you? I have always wondered that...

Yep! I think when the stinger comes out, it pulls out some of their abdomen as well. I don't think they die right away... maybe a few hours later?

I've been stung by a bee once, so I'm not sure if I'm allergic or not. I was going rock climbing, so I wore a loose shirt. A bee got up my sleeve somehow and couldn't get back out, and voila! Bee sting! The stinger came out pretty easily though.

Remember, they're workers. Regardless of weither they sting you or not, they will die within 2 weeks. When they try to sting you, it's because they see you as a threat to the hive, and more importantly, the queen bee. So they sting you so you can get away from the hive, and the bee sacrifices itself for the sake of bee-manity.

Such a tragic story indeed...

That is so sad! Thanks for clarifying. Poor little bees. :(

Aw, that is so sad! The only thing is that why would they sting you if they know that they are going to die? Why wouldnt they just fly away? Silly female honeybees...

CAV the Marquarian Warrior beat me to it XD. It's the same as if a killer or something would break into a families house. The dad would probably fight the killer off, while the family escaped. Even if he knew he was going to die.

I see that happen all of the time in movies, especially war movies. I dont like war movies because they make me sad.

I hate animal killing movies. Like Marley and Me. That movie made me ball.

That movie was terrible! It was sad, but I just thought that it was a horrible movie. Ewwww what a waste of going to the movies.

I liked it. :/ I saw it at my house XD, so I didn't really spend any money.

Movies are the topic now? Yay! I went to the movies yesterday with mum and my friend Duckie. We saw a double feature at the drive-in theater: Prince of Persia (awesome action, no clue what happened) and Toy Story 3 (great movie). Have y'all seen them?