Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

Math is....definetly not my thing. Well, so far, I guess that all we've done is theoretical/actual yield, a bunch of dimensional analyasis, stoiciometry (sp?) and energy stuff. Blegh.

Yeah. Now that I think about it, I have no idea why I'm even -considering- taking physics.

We've done... um... Stoichiometry, Dim. Analysis, Limited Reactants, Light (like... wavelengths and all that), Balancing Equations, Percent Yield, and now we're working in Thermochem, particularly with Hess's LAw

xD Yeah...

My school has a mandatory "Physical Science" class, which is like an intro to science class, so I've taken that freshman year, and this year I have to take bio. Afterwards though, I get to pick whatever I want.

Will, your school does the mandatory classes just like mine does. Physical Science freshman year, Bio sophomore year. I took Chem first semester this year, and am currently taking Physics. It's math, so I rather enjoy it. But I plan on taking AP Chem next year like you.

Well, Physics and chem are both year long, which means that I can't take them for each semester.

And most people if they plan on taking AP usually double up on Honors Physics and Chem and take AP senior year, but I want to take AP Chem and AP Bio, and I've heard two AP sciences a year is a pain, so I'm planning on just taking AP Chem and Honors Physics next year, then AP Bio senior year.

That's probably suicide right there (according to upperclassmen).

Most people at my school had to take either IPS (Intergrated Physical Science) or HIPS (Honors Intergrated Physical Science) but there's a small amount of us can skip that level and move straight to Honors Bio. And then on to Honors Chemistry and then we have our choice of Astronomy, Geology, AP Physics, AP Bio, AP Chem, Anatomy and so on and so forth.

I took the second route, simply because I can not do physics. <_<

I have no idea what AP's are ;p but try to figure out what you want to be when you're older.

When I was in High School, all I cared about was getting my diploma, so I didn't take biology and chemistry as classes. Now, in 'college' (it's slightly different in Holland) I have advanced biology and chemistry. And now I've got to work pretty hard to keep up...

So, conclusion of the day: Think ahead :graduated:

(although in high school, I never imagined that I'd want to be a dietitian)

We don't have anything like that in our school eh.gif, I am getting confused justing reading it. It is really simple here, you study the same thing that the whole 8th grade is studying in our school. Of course when you get to 9th grade you get to choose whether you prefer :-

-Commerce (as in Computer + Maths + Accounts + Business + Economy + a bunch of other subjects).

or

-Science (as in Biology + Chemistry + Physics + Maths + Computer + a bunch of other subjects).

Oow okay. And are APs required or do you take it just to look smart? :P

Umm well in high school here, you have 4 'difficulties'; vmbo, havo, vwo and gymnasium. I did 'havo', and after 3 years you get to choose what classes you want, but there are 4 different 'packs'; Health and science (with chemistry, physics and biology and I think maths), nature and science (chemistry, physics, maths), economy and society (economy, maths, stuff like that) and culture and society (economy, french/german, music/art/anything).

Okay those were pretty litterate translations.. but something like that. And I chose the last one, thinking I didn't want to specialize in health later on.

But, now I'm doing nutrition and dietetics so that's pretty much just chemistry and biology.

AP means advanced placement. It basically meas honors but in a fancy way...

No, APs are actually a level above honors. In fact, they're college level courses, and passing an AP course means that you won't have to take that course in college, whereas if you pass that course at an honors level, you still need to take it in college.

Whyy Livvy?! Why would you ever take four APs? I would probably end up shooting myself in the face. That, or have a major/never ending panic attack. Ugh. I've decided that next year, I'm probably gonna take AP Bio, AP US history, and Honors Spanish 4. And Honors English. Now that I type it all out, it seems like -a lot-.

I'm actually going for AP Bio, AP German, AP Gov, and AP Calc senior year. That's four APs too :P

Really depends on how well I do next year in APs though. I may or may not take AP Gov.

But yeah, honors classes are too easy for me. I'm actually kinda looking forward to the challenge :nerd:

Oow okay. And are APs required or do you take it just to look smart? :P

Umm well in high school here, you have 4 'difficulties'; vmbo, havo, vwo and gymnasium. I did 'havo', and after 3 years you get to choose what classes you want, but there are 4 different 'packs'; Health and science (with chemistry, physics and biology and I think maths), nature and science (chemistry, physics, maths), economy and society (economy, maths, stuff like that) and culture and society (economy, french/german, music/art/anything).

Okay those were pretty litterate translations.. but something like that. And I chose the last one, thinking I didn't want to specialize in health later on.

But, now I'm doing nutrition and dietetics so that's pretty much just chemistry and biology.

Is your Gymnasium the same as Germany's? It probably is, if not very similar.

@Will: Are your AP courses a semester or a year? AP Gov isn't too bad, and I'm taking it in a semester right now. Our school doesn't offer AP German or AP Calc though. At least, I don't think. We have Precalc AB and Precalc BC, and then Calc. I think. Well, there's the honors and academic versions as well, but no AP to my knowledge.

Haha. Wow. That really sounds like a lot of work. Are you taking any normal classes? And is this senior year? I thought senior year was the take-it-easy year... o_O

Well it kinda is, because usually you're accepted into a college by then. Just that if I can take AP courses now, I won't have to take the in college. Save some money in those cases.

Is your Gymnasium the same as Germany's? It probably is, if not very similar.

@Will: Are your AP courses a semester or a year? AP Gov isn't too bad, and I'm taking it in a semester right now. Our school doesn't offer AP German or AP Calc though. At least, I don't think. We have Precalc AB and Precalc BC, and then Calc. I think. Well, there's the honors and academic versions as well, but no AP to my knowledge.

Yeah we have those for Calc too, but I'm pretty sure it's AB (or BC, I dunno...) that counts as a college credit, and I was using AP as a term for any class that counts as a college credit.

We don't do block scheduling, so those classes would be year long. AP Gov would be year long too. I think it'd be interesting, because we'd be talking about world governments, and it's cool to see how other countries function.

Ohhhh. I got it. I always forget that taking an AP class actually has some other meaning than just looking good on your College Application.

We have Calc AB and BC here, instead of Precalc AB and BC. I'm pretty sure both Calc classes are AP. Ugh. Math.

Well it kinda is, because usually you're accepted into a college by then. Just that if I can take AP courses now, I won't have to take the in college. Save some money in those cases.

Yeah we have those for Calc too, but I'm pretty sure it's AB (or BC, I dunno...) that counts as a college credit, and I was using AP as a term for any class that counts as a college credit.

We don't do block scheduling, so those classes would be year long. AP Gov would be year long too. I think it'd be interesting, because we'd be talking about world governments, and it's cool to see how other countries function.

Oh, our AP Gov class is American Gov. Forgot to say that. :P Yeah, we don't have a world government class, I don't believe.

Well I'm pretty sure it's World Government. If not, then I'll just take AP US History, or AP World History. Whichever one Mr. Reynolds teaches (because Mr. Reynolds is the best teacher ever :P)