An opinion on classes

LizyMarie

I am currently in the Web Development and Design program at my college. And almost done with only 5 classes left to go. A couple friends and family have told me though that maybe I should take a small leap and venture into a few classes before I graduate. (Because I get free money from the state and such while I'm going to school)

They said I should take a drawing class next semester and build on a skill I haven't worked on since I was younger.

At this point in time I am frustrated with my degree as it is, and bored with anything Programing/Coding.

I am going to end up taking next semester as a break and taking Tai-Chi and 2D Design. Maybe this will lower my stress levels. :)

I guess at this point I am just sort of ranting about my issue. Bleh >.>

A painting class might be fun too. (And you could end up decorating the walls of the place where you live with your paintings. xD)

I've done electives in many domain, including art history, communication, sociology, psychology, studio arts. :)

Taking a break is always good. If you have a pretty heavy-duty major that focuses mostly on one thing, you can really burn out. And web development? Yeah. That goes in that category.

(English, for example, doesn't fall in that category simply because there are so many different aspects to it. You CAN burn out on an English major, but there's much more variety in it.)

Sounds like the classes you've picked are good ones. I had to take some General Education requirements to graduate--my areas of study didn't fulfill them--and I took some great Arts/Humanities classes, as well as a fantastic class about witches throughout history. If you haven't finalized your choices, you might go on ratemyprofessors.com (I think that's the site) and look for top-rated professors and see what they're teaching.

I'd try something with practical applications to what you're currently studying. Additional art classes could help refer back to your design by showing your work, also, it could help make great portfolio pieces!

Also, if you're not paying, or paying very little for the class, why not take something fun? Besides, Drawing is definitely a skill that is used in design, so why not take something you like that can also help with your major.

I think taking a semester of fun classes sounds like a good idea, if you are almost finished another option is to do a study abroad or college exchange program that your school might offer. You can generally use the same money you are getting from your school and study somewhere else. Most colleges have study abroad program offices go and talk to them. It all depends on your school on what kinds of other cool classes you can take. If you enjoy reading a lit. class might be good or music class. I took a piano for non music majors while I was in college.

My job is very similar to a college recruiter/adviser and I generally tell my students that they should take 1 fun class every semester.