Random Facts

Izzy ♥

(1) Ladies in sixteenth and seventeenth century England wore their wedding rings on their thumbs. (2) The word Bingo began back when players would ring "bing" a small bell when their numbers were winners. (3) The ruby-throated hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) has a heartbeat of about 615 beats per minute.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha i wouldn't even pay a cent to see a cow :laughingsmiley:

1)The average human body contains enough fat to make seven bars of soap (say yes to hygene!)

2)Until the 1960's men with long hair were not allowed to enter Disneyland. (maybe because they could get stuck on rides?)

3)Some asteroids have other asteroids orbiting them.

4)One percent of Greenland's population lives in a single apartment building! (one big happy family!)

1. Buckingham Palace has over six hundred rooms.

2. Every year, an igloo hotel is built in Sweden that has the capacity to sleep 100 people.

3. In Czechoslovakia, there is a church that has a chandelier made out of human bones.

4. Levan, which is located in Utah, got its name from "navel" which is levan spelt backwards. It was named this because it is in the center of Utah.

5. The American Airlines Center in Dallas has more toilets per capita than any other sports and entertainment venue in the country

6. The Mall of America, located in Bloomington, Minnesota is so big that it can hold 24,336 school buses.

7. The largest ketchup bottle in the world is a 170 feet tall and is located in Collinsville, Illinois, USA. It was built in 1949 by the W.E. Caldwell Company as a water tower.

8. The largest school in the world is City Montessori School in India and has over 25,000 students in grade levels ranging from kindergarten to college.

9. The only flying saucer launch pad in the world is located in St. Paul, Alberta, Canada.

10. The steepest street in the world is Baldwin Street located in Dunedin, New Zealand. It has an incline of 38%.

Woah interesting facts. Specially the ketchup one XD

1)Pearls melt in vinegar.

2)Bacteria that cause tooth decay, acne, tuberculosis, and leprosy can be cured with cashews. (LOL maybe thats why i didn't get any of that XD i eat too many cashews)

3)On some Caribbean islands, the oysters can climb trees. (first the rats, now the oysters!!)

4)In what country will you find the most Universities? India. (another fact about India)

5)Black bears are not always black. They can be brown, cinnamon, yellow, and sometimes white. (a white black bear!)

1. In medieval times, thunderstorms were believed by some to be the work of demons. So when it stormed, bell ringers would go up into the bell towers to ring the consecrated bells in an effort to stop the storm. This practice didn't always work out well for the bell ringer.

2. Trivia is the Roman goddess of sorcery, hounds and the crossroads.

3. Some people consider the $1 bill unlucky because there are so many 13's on it: 13 stars, 13 stripes, 13 steps, 13 arrows and even an olive branch with 13 leaves on it. Of course the $1 bill is unlucky - if it was lucky it would be a $100 bill.

1. In 1888, Hollywood was founded by Harvey and Daeida Wilcox, who named the city after their summer home in Chicago.

2. Close to 3 billion movie tickets are sold in India every year.

3. Barney, the famous dinosaur that entertains kids is from Dallas.

4. In 1960 there were 16,067 gambling slots in Nevada. By 1999, this number rose to 205,726 slots which would be one slot for every 10 people residing there.

5. In 1982, a high school student from Los Angeles, California unscrambled the Rubik's Cube in 22.95 seconds.

6. In Greece, the climate is so warm that many of the cinemas do not even have roofs.

7. The accent that Mike Myers used for the character Shrek came from the accent that his mother would use when she was telling him bedtime stories when he was a child.

8. There are six fictional characters that have stars on Hollywood's "Walk of Fame."

3. Barney, the famous dinosaur that entertains kids is from Dallas.

O___________________o

7. The accent that Mike Myers used for the character Shrek came from the accent that his mother would use when she was telling him bedtime stories when he was a child.

That's an actually useful random fact!

8. There are six fictional characters that have stars on Hollywood's "Walk of Fame."

xD That's actually pretty cute!

I'm pretty sure one of them is Mickey Mouse. Who doesn't love that guy?

Which brings me to another fact:

In 2003, Mickey Mouse came in at number 17 on VH1's 200 Greatest Pop Culture Icons list.

1)Why do puppies lick your face? They're instinctively looking for scraps of food (dogs want to eat us all!)

2)A recent study at Harvard has shown that eating chocolate can actually help you live longer! (woah, if that's true then I'm going to live forever :laughingsmiley: )

3)In Singapore, it is illegal to sell or own chewing gum ( o_O no way. I can't live without gum!)

4)Worms reportedly taste like bacon. (i have never eaten worms yuck!)

1. In medieval times, thunderstorms were believed by some to be the work of demons. So when it stormed, bell ringers would go up into the bell towers to ring the consecrated bells in an effort to stop the storm. This practice didn't always work out well for the bell ringer.

It's thunder. *a firehose full of holy water goes everywhere* Be gone demons of the bad weather! Be gone!

I walked on the walk of fame once. Hehe. That sounds funny. But I did. Almost all of them I haven't even heard of before. But I remember there being a Pinnochio one I think, and a Donald Duck one, and a Pee Wee Herman star. But I remember seeing a whole bunch. It has got to be more than six.

Here's some more, sporting themed this time:

1. A squash ball moving at 150 kilometers per hour has the same impact of a .22 bullet.

2. Ellen Macarthur, yachtswoman, had a total of 891 naps in 94 days that were each 36 minutes long while on her Vendee Round the Globe yacht race.

3. In the 1930's, American track star Jesse Owens used to race against horses and dogs to earn a living.

4. Kite flying is a professional sport in Thailand.

5. Morihei Ueshiba, founder of Aikido, once pinned an opponent using only a single finger.

I will try to find out who the six fictional characters are too.

EDIT: Got it - Lassie, Rin Tin Tin, Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Woody Woodpecker and Snow White.

I love kite flying!

1)Most lipstick contains fish scales ( o_O)

2)Dolphins nap with one eye open. (like -_O)

3)Because heat expands the metal, the Eiffel Tower always leans away from the sun

4)Men are 6 times more likely to be struck by lightning than women. (watch out!)

5)Only female bees work. (slavery!!!)

(1) The female angler fish carries her little "lover" hanging to her tummy. (2) The American Pacific candle fish is so oily, they were tied to poles by American Indians, then set on fire to make torches. (3) The exclamation mark (!) is derived from the Greek word "lo" meaning: "I am surprised."

On July 30, 1945, after delivering components for the atomic bomb (named "Little Boy"), which would be dropped on Hiroshima a week later (August 6th), the USS Indianapolis was torpedoed and sunk by a Japanese submarine. Of the 1,196 men on board, approximately 300 went down with the ship. The remaining 900 men were left floating in shark-infested waters. Four days later the survivors were spotted, but only 316 men were still alive.

4)Men are 6 times more likely to be struck by lightning than women.

I like that one :yes:

1. On average, it is estimated that females injure themselves ten time more than males do while playing sports. ((Well that definately outweighs the lightning one. Oh well...))

2. The game of squash originated in the United Kingdom. It came about after a few boys, who were waiting for their turn to play racquets, knocked a ball around in a confined area adjoining the racquets court.

3. The sport Lacrosse was initially played by Native American Indians. They played the sport to prepare for war.

haha yea I've hurt so many times playing sports <_<. Men are just naturally sporty gifted XD

1)Leonardo da Vinci invented scissors. (no I did! JK! :graduated: )

2)Males sweat 40% more than females. (100% true! :S )

3)85% of us will eat Spam this year. (not me. Will you?)

4)Fifteen people are known to have been crushed to death tilting vending machines towards them in the hope of a free can of soda. (thirst is a killer!)

5)Chewing on gum while cutting onions can help a person from producing tears. (i have to try this)

85% of us will eat Spam this year. (not me. Will you?)

Does tinned ham count? I like that, but I can't say I've ever tried real spam...

1. The artist Vincent Van Gogh sliced part of his ear off in madness.

2. A language becomes extinct in this world every two weeks.

3. Caterpillar means "hairy cat" in Old French. (Thats one small cat!)

4. During his entire life, Vincent Van Gogh sold exactly one painting, Red Vineyard at Arles.

5. In 1983, a Japanese artist, Tadahiko Ogawa, made a copy of the Mona Lisa completely out of ordinary toast. (Right...)

out of ordinary toast? o_O. I'm going to do research XD.

EDIT: After long 2 minutes of research XD. I have found that it is in fact true. Here's the link of the masterpiece.

http://www.studiolo.org/Mona/MONA20.htm#20a

Source: You can also type the name of the artist on google and go to the wikipedia website, and click on the reference link XD