Hello, world!

Tynach

Hello, world! I'm Tynach, I've been on Neopets since I was a kid...

I joined on here, because the Neoboards are heavily restrictive and I figured joining a fan site would give me a little more freedom to talk. I generally don't mind the restrictions on Neopets, except for one little detail...

I'm currently starting to become a web programmer, and I've been working on a website that's inspired by my time here on Neopets, and I wanted to get people's input on it. No, it is not another virtual pet site.

I spent most of my days on Neopets roleplaying on the Neoboards, and I enjoyed making and joining all sorts of roleplays... Most particularly science fiction (which is, sadly, rather rare). Back in the day, the RP boards would go by so quickly, that you could NEVER keep your board up on the first page - you had to keep posting and bumping it to even be seen. There was no search function, and of course... There's that silly character limit on all the posts, which is HORRIBLE for roleplaying. Combine that last one with the time limit between a user's posts, and it just gets ridiculous.

Many people set up pet pages where they had their character descriptions, or entire roleplay descriptions. Some people put that info on their lookups. People wanted to have images up of their roleplay character, and had to go to websites like photobucket or whatever to host them.

And then, people started to 'outsource'. I don't know how many accounts were frozen for outside links from this, but I know a LOT of people made accounts on the free forum websites, setting them up JUST for their roleplays. Sure they got iced because of this, but roleplaying was made a LOT easier.

However, none of these forum systems in existence are built FOR roleplaying. You can't make a web page about your character(s). You can't create pages to describe your roleplay, or roleplay Universe. And since some/many of these roleplay forums were dedicated to a SINGLE roleplay, it seemed rather pointless to have an entire forum engine power only one board.

So, since I've learned PHP and MySQL... I've decided I had enough of this. I'm in the process of creating a brand new roleplaying website, from scratch. It has character management, roleplay management, roleplay Universe management, and so on. It will be made BY roleplayers, FOR roleplayers. I'm making it use a tagging system similar to that of 'booru' sites, for quick indexing and searching through roleplays, characters, and Universes... So you can find a roleplay that you like. It will allow for creators of roleplays to have limited mod privileges for their roleplays - they can restrict the roleplay to only let certain users join in, they can hide their roleplays, and I think I'll let them even delete/edit other user's posts. It will allow uploading images for characters, so that you don't have to rely on other websites (image size will be restricted, I think - I find it stupid to restrict on height/width, so it'll be a limit in the actual filesize). It will also have a content 'rating' system - so that mature content can be created by mature users, but younger users cannot see it.

Right now, I have a large chunk of the database created, and a rough framework for PHP development laid out (with a nifty module and templating system to make it easy to customize and expand). The only integration with the 'front end' PHP and the 'back end' MySQL right now, is that users can log in. I've yet to create a user signup page, though. So... It's not ready to even preview or look at. It's hosted on a virtual machine on my desktop, and is not accessible from the outside world (sorry, I can't post a link to the current progress).

I plan to release the source code of the project under an open source license of some sort, though in the meantime, I must ask this: Are there any PHP/MySQL developers here who would be willing to help with this project? I've tried asking on the Neoboards, but I just got warnings and my posts deleted (actually, I kinda like their new 'Silencing' system - it does the same as a suspension, but I don't think it'll eventually lead to my account getting frozen. Or I hope not, at least). Also, while I've met a few other computer geeks on Neopets in the past, the chances of finding them are rather slim... So I figured I'd have a better chance on a fan site.

So anyway, yeah. That's why I'm here! See ya 'round.

-Tynach

Hi and welcome! :D

To be honest, I didn't understand half of the technical terms you used (isn't Source Code a movie? xD).

But the idea behind it is great. I'm not into role-playing myself, but kudos to you for making your own site!

(Also, your Tardis avatar makes me really happy :laughingsmiley:)

Thanks! And, it's alright if you don't understand the technical terms, though 'Source Code' refers to the programming code that programmers write to create a program. Basically, I'll be letting people download the code to my website so they can perhaps adapt it to their own needs to make their own websites (though the goal of the project is to eliminate the need for a bunch of separate forum websites for a bunch of different roleplays, I don't want to limit anyone in any way).

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not sure the site will be suitable as a general forum - I'm afraid I may even have to have a separate forum to go along with the website, for people to talk in 'general chat'. Though OOC posts will be supported, so I guess it can be sort of 'emulated' in a way.

The avatar, I guess was auto-detected. I made it originally for my Blenderartists account (yes, I made it myself - I'm a 3D graphics nerd), and since then have used it for OpenID and Wordpress. I guess TDN Forums auto-detected it from OpenID or something, and gave it to me! Rather impressive.

Welcome Tynach,

Nice to see that you are full of honestly, very interesting ideas. Also, i completely agree with you about the role playing games. You can call me LU and I am as well a multimedia designer :) But I am still in my beginniner shoes. However, I can say that in XHTML/HTML & CSS I am pretty advanced ;) If you need any help or have any questions that I can be useful, pm or nm me :)

Good luck on you project! :graduated:

Hey, thanks Lu. When I was in highschool I kinda was going the '3D Animation' route, then when I got into college I started really enjoying programming... I want to eventually make video games dealing with the plots of my roleplays. However, right now I'm terrible at game programming (I think - I've just not been able to learn much), but I'm excessively good at web coding. I'm good with XHTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP/MySQL stuff, though I am admittedly terrible at graphic design... So, if someone else gives me a design, I can make an efficient, easy to understand HTML/CSS layout, but if I try to make it all myself it looks sub-par :/

A lot of people who write PHP don't care about the look of the HTML layout, but I've made my framework so far spit out beautifully formatted code - which I'm rather proud of. But again, it looks rather dull and plain :P If you're good with the design/art aspects, that'd be a real big help.

I'm looking for anyone that can help in anything, really... I should probably zip the project and put it online somewhere - if someone has a host I can use reliably, that'd be great! Especially if it uses the standard LAMP stack - I'm a big Linux guy.

OMG, DOCTOR WHO, THE TARDIS, AAAAAAAAAAH *dies*, love your avvie :wub_anim:

i'm lisauntie, and to be honest, i read half of your introduction and gave up, it was too hard :*

but it's very cool that you've got your own website, i wish i could make one...

Welcome on TDNF, i hope you can enjoy your time here, and i'll tell ya something about me :D

sooo, i'm lisauntie (or lisa, for short), i'm 12 years old, live in the netherlands, love to talk between *these little things **giggles*, make my own graphics *pokes my 'about me' page*, i've been playing neopets for a long time (on and off), have my own graphics stand *pokes siggy*, etc...

so... that's what you have to know about me :D

see ya around

You might be right about the HTML and CSS part,

So there is a new system called "grid system 978" it is created to design your website much easier and more professional. However, the thing you need to do is create a nice layout in Photoshop or other program you use and slice it in pieces, which you simply add in CSS and you are done ;)

You can try it if you are interested :)

Hey there Tynach, and glad you stopped by TDN. They call me Neomysterion, and I own four Limited Editions, and I'm a moderator over here. Ask me or another staff member if you have any questions, and we;ll get to you.

Hi Tynach, and welcome to the forums! I'm Ain. ^_^

Roleplaying you say? How about creating one here at TDN forums? *desperate need to revive that forum*

I just realized you are about to make a roleplaying site! I hope I can see it someday! ^_^

Wowee! A whole new system thing. That's pretty darn amazing. :D Good luck with it and all that. :D

I know nothing about HTML, I'm GOING to learn it come holidays, though.

Hi there! I'm sweetdang. Nice to see you around. :) I know what you mean about restrictions on the boards... and Neomail, too! :/

Feel free to PM or NM or NF me or anything. I love mail or small little random messages.

~*~Sweetdang~*~

OMG, DOCTOR WHO, THE TARDIS, AAAAAAAAAAH *dies*, love your avvie :wub_anim:

i'm lisauntie, and to be honest, i read half of your introduction and gave up, it was too hard :*

but it's very cool that you've got your own website, i wish i could make one...

Welcome on TDNF, i hope you can enjoy your time here, and i'll tell ya something about me :D

sooo, i'm lisauntie (or lisa, for short), i'm 12 years old, live in the netherlands, love to talk between *these little things **giggles*, make my own graphics *pokes my 'about me' page*, i've been playing neopets for a long time (on and off), have my own graphics stand *pokes siggy*, etc...

so... that's what you have to know about me :D

see ya around

Hello Lisa! Yes, I'm a big Doctor Who fan... Through a series of odd coincidences, it led me to the career path I'm in right now. So, all the more reason for me to love it!

I don't have my own site yet, I have it hosted on a virtual machine... Which is like, one of those game system emulators you get on your computer to play Super Nintendo games, but it instead emulates another computer.

That's cool you live in the Netherlands! The program I used to create my avatar (Blender) is based over there. I am indeed looking for artists, so I'll check that out!

You might be right about the HTML and CSS part,

So there is a new system called "grid system 978" it is created to design your website much easier and more professional. However, the thing you need to do is create a nice layout in Photoshop or other program you use and slice it in pieces, which you simply add in CSS and you are done ;)

You can try it if you are interested :)

Well, the grid 978 defines widths in pixels. It's a system to make it EASIER for people who can't understand EMs or Percentages to design fairly professional websites that will fit on most people's computer screens, and still have a lot of room left in the way of slicing up your site into a neatly fitting grid.

The problem I have with it, is that I never use pixels. I'm one of those weirdos that likes to create layouts that are 'liquid' and 'elastic' - Liquid means that it will dynamically resize to the browser window, and Elastic means that when people increase the text size (without zooming), the entire layout dynamically 'zooms' in as well (except for images, which remain the same size). Using the 978 system will make that completely impossible, so I'm simply not going to use it.

See, I don't know how to design period. My art skills just aren't up to par, and my mind doesn't work that way. Whenever I make a layout in Photoshop or Gimp, it ends up looking the same as if I just code one real quick by hand, and sometimes takes longer for me to do (as I can type faster than I can draw).

Hi Tynach, and welcome to the forums! I'm Ain. ^_^

Roleplaying you say? How about creating one here at TDN forums? *desperate need to revive that forum*

I just realized you are about to make a roleplaying site! I hope I can see it someday! ^_^

I did happen to see the roleplaying boards here! And since my roleplaying website project is probably a year or two away from completion at the moment, I will be more than happy to help liven up the roleplaying area here!

Wowee! A whole new system thing. That's pretty darn amazing. :D Good luck with it and all that. :D

I know nothing about HTML, I'm GOING to learn it come holidays, though.

Hi there! I'm sweetdang. Nice to see you around. :) I know what you mean about restrictions on the boards... and Neomail, too! :/

Feel free to PM or NM or NF me or anything. I love mail or small little random messages.

~*~Sweetdang~*~

If you're really interested in learning HTML and CSS, I'd highly recommend going to HTMLdog, as they have a good focus on teaching how to do it the PROPER way - which also teaches how to do it the EASY way (when coding by hand, at least). I mostly like that site because it teaches how to do the most work with your HTML code, without actually typing much HTML code. Nice and efficient.

Uhm... Posting this, it complained about the number of emoticons I used. They're all your guys', so I'm going to try turning emoticons off for this post.

Yea, I do believe the limit is 10 emoticons.

Thanks for the recommendation! :D *bro nod*

Odd thing to have a limit on, but I don't mind too much! And, no problem!

Anyone know what board would be the best place to tell people/ask opinions about my roleplay site project? It's not an actual roleplay or I'd post it in the RP boards here, and I don't know how appropriate it'd be to post it on the Computer/Programming board.

I do think they put a damper on that due to this rule:

Do not post S.P.A.M. (short, pointless, annoying messages) or irrelevant posts!

We define spam as:

•  
  • Excessive and possibly abusive use of smilies

So they limit it FOR you!

Also, if you're asking also for opinions, I'd suggest the general chat, because lots of people frequent that place. However, if a mod deems it otherwise, it'll be moved to Computers and programing, or whatever else, so don't worry - just post it where you think it fits best! :D

Thanks! I've created my post here.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.