Mice and Rats.

April

There's a rat that likes to scare me when I go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. He's huge. I HATE rats.

I don't like mice either but when I heard a fight going on and got up and saw the little mouse crawl and hide and nurse his little leg and the rat run away I grew a soft spot for mice. And my distaste for rats grew even more.

Although, at the moment. I am too scared to sleep since I sleep in the living room and the mouse is hiding in there somewhere.

Although I'd love to have those little white mice for a pet.

I never got a single rat in my house in my life to be honest. Even if I were to have some, I'd set out the mousetraps or call an exterminator if I have a rat problem.

Mice for pets? I wouldn't mind having one as a pet, but not at the moment.

As far as pets go, I like both rats and mice. One of my friends liked keeping pet rats, and some of them were very cute and friendly.

As for having wild rats and mice in my house, that's not something I enjoy. They don't frighten me, and I have nothing against them as creatures (I like to have approximately equal empathy for all living things), but they can be rather destructive and they can carry disease.

I don't mind the mice so much, as long as they aren't getting into my food and such. They are pretty cute and meek.

I have had one bad experience with a rat in my house before. It had made its way into my kitchen, where it had been stealing from my trash for a few days. I never actually saw it; it always ran and hid when I opened the cupboard door, but it certainly made more noise than the mice, and it was dragging large things out of the bin. One day, it decided to crawl into the back of my stove, where it got electrocuted. This happened right before I went camping for a week, and I didn't know that something had died there. I came home to a horrid smell and carrion beetles. The scorched, liquefying rat was not pleasant to clean up, and it took a while to get rid of the smell.

After that, I made a better effort to block all entryways into my house. Mice can squeeze though a hole the size of a dime, and rats can fit through a hole the size of a quarter. I use steel wool and expanding foam to plug all the holes into my kitchen cupboards, like where the pipes come in from the basement. I own a live trap, just in case the problem gets out of hand, but one of my cats does a good job of keeping the rodents away.

Bear in mind, with live traps, mice will travel up to a kilometre (0.6 miles) to get back to their nests, they need to be released far from your home.

I hated both. I don't mind pet ones but these ones ugh.

Until I saw the cute little mouse trying to nurse it's self. And it was so adorable and didn't look so threatening.

The rat is huge though. Very overgrown. XD

I set out some poison blocks. Only problem is they'll die and make the house smell really bad.

We had a problem with this last christmas. Don't lay out mousetraps or poison. Lets face it, if you use poison, they don't die straight away, so they run inbetween the walls, and you have more trouble getting it out etc.

Like Alice said, buy a humane trap. We have one, just a long black box, and one side is raised up the ground, so when the rat runs to the slanted side, it lefts the first bit up and shuts the door behind him (hard to explain). That way you release it in the wild (forgot the distance) but if you release it too close to your house, it will come back.

If you are looking for something to bait with, try dipping cheese in peanut butter (rodents love peanut butter :P)

Having a rat die inside your walls will make an awful smell. It took me weeks to get rid of the dead rat smell in my house, and I got to remove the rat. I also recommend a live trap. Additionally, you really should plug all the holes that the rodents can fit through with steel wool. I plugged up all the holes around the pipes in my kitchen, so that any rodents that work their way into my basement can't get out into my living space.

Alternately, you could get a cat. :)

I wouldn`t get a cat to get rid of rat problems...

The cat might end up fighting the rat, and if and when the cat decides to fight the rat, the cat would likely contract potential disease(s) and may suffer other injuries. It wouldn`t be so fun especially after you`ll have to take the cat to a vet to examine whether the cat was seriously infected.

In general, avoid taming wild animals: they can be a host of diseases, bacteria and parasites. Like a zombie, 1 bite/scratch from a rat could be quite dangerous.

Having a domesticated mice is an option, but remember to do your research before hand.

Mice would be cute as pets; Rats are and will forever be (to me) disgusting. I had one dash in front of me in a public place before and it was raining, so it was wet. It had a LOOONG tail. It was disgusting.

I wouldn't want a mouse running around my house, either, but as pets, it's a whole different thing. :)

I've never had a mouse/rat in my house before; probably because I live in the 6th floor of my flat.

I'd rather not have mice/rats as my preferred pet... hamsters are a much better alternative, don't you think? :laughingsmiley:

I would agree with the hamster part, since I do have them (plus the 3-week pups).

Rats kinda creep me out in few times, and it's infesting my house >.<

Mice on the other hand, are cute and nice :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

I never got a single rat in my house in my life to be honest. Even if I were to have some, I'd set out the mousetraps or call an exterminator if I have a rat problem.

Mice for pets? I wouldn't mind having one as a pet, but not at the moment.

oh my gosh I just LOVE mice and rats! Its so dumb how people are always so squealy and annoying when they see one. :angry: I have a mouse in my apartment right now. he's so cute! and as for pets, ive got a guinea pig and a small green parakeet.

Mice would be cute as pets; Rats are and will forever be (to me) disgusting. I had one dash in front of me in a public place before and it was raining, so it was wet. It had a LOOONG tail. It was disgusting.

I wouldn't want a mouse running around my house, either, but as pets, it's a whole different thing. :)

that's really stupid, you know. mice AND rats are like almost as cute as Kittens! :wub_anim:

I hated both. I don't mind pet ones but these ones ugh.

Until I saw the cute little mouse trying to nurse it's self. And it was so adorable and didn't look so threatening.

The rat is huge though. Very overgrown. XD

I set out some poison blocks. Only problem is they'll die and make the house smell really bad.

hey you. NEVER PUT OUT ANY KIND OF POISON. you could end up poisoning a pet and its SO inhumane. i don't care how much you hate them :grrr:

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Neomysterion) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Don't double post, use the "Edit" button if you want to add something to your post. Also, use "Multiquote" if you want to quote multiple posts.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

oh my gosh I just LOVE mice and rats! Its so dumb how people are always so squealy and annoying when they see one. :angry: I have a mouse in my apartment right now. he's so cute! and as for pets, ive got a guinea pig and a small green parakeet.

that's really stupid, you know. mice AND rats are like almost as cute as Kittens! :wub_anim:

hey you. NEVER PUT OUT ANY KIND OF POISON. you could end up poisoning a pet and its SO inhumane. i don't care how much you hate them :grrr:

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Neomysterion) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Don't double post, use the "Edit" button if you want to add something to your post. Also, use "Multiquote" if you want to quote multiple posts.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I wish I could save them all. But unfortunately, I can't. I just have poison lying around and can't afford to get mouse traps or even live ones.

I have no immune system. If I get a common cold I end up in the hospital. I got a flu going around last year and had to fight for my life in a hospital.

So while I don't like killing things, rats and mice around here carry lots of diseases and I can't afford to get them.

A very good friend of mine had/has rats as pets. They are frankly adorable :)

I quite agree. they're so cute and i don't see why people hate them! :sad01_anim:

Funny! I went to a friends house for dinner yesterday, and he has 2 pet rats. They are super cute, and they act like little dogs. One of them will constantly give you kisses. I want a pair!

I also note that when I have mice in my house, the live traps have never once worked for me. I don't use poison either, because I'm paranoid to have it in the house since I have a baby. I just use the traditional mouse trap that snaps their necks with a little peanut butter.

I quite agree. they're so cute and i don't see why people hate them! :sad01_anim:

I don't hate them. But the reason I don't want them?

Wild rats are definitely not as appealing as a pet rat, which I wouldn't mind.

They carry diseases.

They ruin my walls.

They get into my food and make it go stale.

They gross out guests. And make some people not want to come over.

Oh and they keep me up at night running through my house.