Sexism: What do you find sexist?

Welcome Back Apathy

This is my intent for this particular thread: I am about to post something, and I want to know if you find it sexist. At any point, you may change the conversation to something ELSE and we can debate the sexism about that instead.

So, here goes: Dr. Pepper Snubs Women

Details: Dr. Pepper Ten (it's Dr. Pepper with only ten calories) has released an ad campaign saying that it is for men only, no ladies allowed.

"Hey ladies. Enjoying the film? Of course not. Because this is our movie and this is our soda," a man says as he attempts to pour the soda into a glass during a bumpy ATV ride. "You can keep the romantic comedies and lady drinks. We're good."

Its facebook page has an application that specifically blocks women.

What do you think? Is it sexist? Is it offensive? Is it...hilarious? (Please read the full article, not just my blurb, before talking about it, however.)

It is sexist to both women and men. It feeds into the patriarchal idea of what men do/think/eat/drink/behave. So many people believe dieting is "for girls." But health and weight loss are not specific to any gender. It's just a stupid ad campaign for simple-minded people.

"Manly" calories? Are you kidding? Ugh. Everyone should feel insulted. It's pathetic.

I found that article to be more of a joke than anything. They even say towards the end, "The drink and marketing were tested in six different markets across the country before being rolled out nationally, and women weren't offended, he said. In fact, about 40 percent of people who have tried the soda so far are women."

That being said, I've never even heard of that product before now, but it seems to be a test of perhaps what might be a clever marketing campaign? No company in their right mind would seriously market gender-exclusive foods and drinks unless they were being satirical. They would get too much backlash from the public.

I just saw the commercial too, I really don't think they were being sincere.

I have to disagree because plenty of products are gender biased. Whether this ad is serious or not, there is definitely more pressure and attention on women's looks, and the pervasive idea that women are the ones who diet or order diet products. And companies have been doing things like this, just not necessarily as blatant.

And anyway, the article outright states that men have a problem with the image of diet drinks.

If it's just satire, why go as far as creating an application that blocks women? It's all a big joke but women are the butt of it. Part of it is for attention, but they are playing on an ongoing problem and society's obsession with perceived gender-appropriate images.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate men being sexist against women, like expecting us to stay at home and cook. The media still stereotype women as "housewives"! :grrr:

Yes, I hate that too. At home, my Stepdad doesn't work, but that's because he has to look after us while Mum works. Maybe he'll start working again when we're all old enough to do things ourselves. A thing I really hate is how back in the past, women were expected to marry and bring up sons for the men they married. The men only wanted boys, not girls. Even in royalty, the kings have always wanted sons to become the king, and weren't interested in daughters.

I posted something on that in the other thread.

"See, believe it or not - doing chores, cleaning, sweeping, washing, drying, ironing, cooking, sewing, fixing, mending, gluing, sweating, clearing, packing, scolding, talking, comforting, dusting, mopping, carrying, working till the break of dawn may actually be more stressful and tiring then siting in an air conditioned office doing work."

Basically, it's about the same thing. Your working out and my working home are both still work. It's not that I'm not doing anything.

Another thing I hate is how most women who had jobs and were independant in the past weren't married, because if they were married, they had to do whatever their husbands told them. And back in the past, if you weren't married, it meant you didn't have children because of something I can't say. So most people associate having children with having to be married. And then the women had to look after them, and as I said before, the men only cared about boys, they only wanted sons to take their stuff when they were gone.

I take the add as more of a joke its open unlike other ad that are subtler, yes it could be considered sexist and someone will take offence at it, someone always takes offence.

Informercials (yes I know this from the marketing team at work and from focus groups) always enforce body image and target you based on gender to get you to buy the items.

how often have you seen an add for a blender/jucier - it will almost always be a woman presenting it, with maybe two men in the group and those men will either be considered health conscious or simple family guys.

Next time you see an add for a cleaning product, spray and wipe, Mr Muscle and look at who are using the items.

anyway that's my little rant thing, don't take advertising too serious unless your going to complain about every single add.

Well, either the Dr. Pepper marketing team is stupid enough to actually try to alienate half their potential customer base - or they're sexist.

Because if they're not actually trying to say that women shouldn't buy Dr. Pepper Ten, then they expect women to buy it despite the 'guys only' marketing message. It seems they expect women to think along the lines of, "Hey, why are they saying this drink is only for men? Maybe I should try it." But if the ad campaign had been about how the new Dr. Pepper is 'women only' and 'no boys allowed', no one would expect men to be interested in it. Women interested in 'manly' things are more accepted than men interested in 'girly' things - because trying to become more like a man is admirable, while trying to become more like a woman makes you weak.

It's part of the double standard where men are considered to be the default, and women the abnormality. Things for women are only for women, while things for men - even when they exclude women - are supposed to be for everyone. Dr. Pepper didn't create this inequality, but they're purposefully playing into it, which makes them just as sexist.

(EDIT: Forgot to add that I was extremely disturbed when the article mentioned that the Facebook page for Dr. Pepper Ten has a game where you can shoot things like high heels and lipstick. Out of context that wouldn't be horrible, but in context, as explicit representations of the not-allowed women...brrr.)

I take the add as more of a joke its open unlike other ad that are subtler, yes it could be considered sexist and someone will take offence at it, someone always takes offence.

Informercials (yes I know this from the marketing team at work and from focus groups) always enforce body image and target you based on gender to get you to buy the items.

how often have you seen an add for a blender/jucier - it will almost always be a woman presenting it, with maybe two men in the group and those men will either be considered health conscious or simple family guys.

Next time you see an add for a cleaning product, spray and wipe, Mr Muscle and look at who are using the items.

anyway that's my little rant thing, don't take advertising too serious unless your going to complain about every single add.

Advertising in general needs an overhaul. Most ads reinforce the same stupid things. Well, actually, most of society reinforces the same stupid things. So yes, it needs to be called out. All of it, each and every time.

Honestly, I think it's almost parody-like. Obviously they know that women will drink the Pepsi too. Obviously they know that their stereotypes are ridiculous. It really comes off like a parody; it's almost more insulting towards men. I'd feel pretty dumb if I were a guy that was convinced to buy Pepsi 10 by watching their ads, lol.

I hate men being sexist against women, like expecting us to stay at home and cook. The media still stereotype women as "housewives"! :grrr:

I can't agree with that at all. More and more women are actually LOOKING to stay at home and be "housewives" these days, and I don't feel that the media stereotype is that at all. I CHOSE to be a Stay at home mom when my son was born, and I know so many other woman who would like to do the same, not because our husbands think we should, but because we want that. It's not something that should be looked down upon anymore.

My husband doesn't expect me to stay at home and clean the house and cook his dinner and take care of the baby, even though I do. There are a lot of times when I come home after being out with the baby all day and he has cooked me dinner and made sure the house was clean. And again, as part of a big group of moms with babies born in the same month this year, that seems to be common. I think a lot of women over-exaggerate these things. We have rights. We are respected a whole hell of a lot more than we were 50 years ago. Being a housewife if often more work than any 9-5 job, and its a hell of a lot more rewarding.

I'm also going to say I despise women who have the audacity to wear booty shorts and tops that just barely cover everything up, and complain about the catcalls and stares they get when walking around. If you don't like it, then don't dress like you are getting ready to start your shift on the street corner. That is not sexy, its degrading to the women who weigh more that 100 lbs. THAT is sexist, and it's not men that are doing it.

I don't feel like the Dr. Pepper commercial is sexist. I think people are taking it way to seriously.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, it kind of bothers me. Yes, I know it's supposed to be a joke, but it's hard to take when there is so much sexism in other places. I kind of feel like there's some things that shouldn't be joked about.

I don't like how it sterotypes both women and men. Before reading this topic I only thought about what it implied about women (being one) but some have commented here that it also stereotypes men, which is absolutely true!

I think that women should fight being pressured to look beautiful and sexy all the time. It is ridiculous the pressure to wear makeup and high heels, and many women wear skirt-suits instead of pants. High heels seem to me like a much more tame version of foot binding. It makes you look taller, and also makes your feet smaller. They are also almost impossible to walk in (to me). Men do not have to go to such great lengths. It bothers me that almost all of the women characters on tv (Rizzoli and Isles, Kate Beckett(Castle)) always wear high heels and frequently run in them! It would be ridiculously impractical in an active profession and makes them seem silly for putting beauty above their jobs.

There's also this ad I've seen for Bare Minerals with a female volunteer firefighter. I mean, come on! None of her male coworkers doll themselves up before their job. Also, she is supposed to be fighting fires, not seducing men.

I think things like this are unfair and make women appear shallow or silly :(

I also don't really like practical jokes or teasing either. Being mean/sexist/racist/etc should not be a "joke", in my opinion.

Hmm, to be honest I just find it kind of pathetic. I can only imagine 12-15 year olds actually going for the message they're giving and buying the product. Actual "men" I can see shying away from it, as most REAL men don't let a soft drink define their personality. I just think it's really over the top and it's not even worth thinking "is this sexist" because this is exactly what they want! More women talking about this and getting offended is fueling the fire and actually giving their campaign more strength - even through negative press.

This probably was the "worst that could happen" ;), but at the end of the day they're just alienating half of their market and making women think twice before buying anything with "Dr. Pepper" on it.

I'm a huge feminist, but their marketing team are clearly just a bunch of inexperienced idiots. The Facebook page only allowing men is actually discrimination, and I imagine that will probably be adjusted or taken down at some point.

I can't agree with that at all. More and more women are actually LOOKING to stay at home and be "housewives" these days, and I don't feel that the media stereotype is that at all. I CHOSE to be a Stay at home mom when my son was born, and I know so many other woman who would like to do the same, not because our husbands think we should, but because we want that. It's not something that should be looked down upon anymore.

My husband doesn't expect me to stay at home and clean the house and cook his dinner and take care of the baby, even though I do. There are a lot of times when I come home after being out with the baby all day and he has cooked me dinner and made sure the house was clean. And again, as part of a big group of moms with babies born in the same month this year, that seems to be common. I think a lot of women over-exaggerate these things. We have rights. We are respected a whole hell of a lot more than we were 50 years ago. Being a housewife if often more work than any 9-5 job, and its a hell of a lot more rewarding.

I'm also going to say I despise women who have the audacity to wear booty shorts and tops that just barely cover everything up, and complain about the catcalls and stares they get when walking around. If you don't like it, then don't dress like you are getting ready to start your shift on the street corner. That is not sexy, its degrading to the women who weigh more that 100 lbs. THAT is sexist, and it's not men that are doing it.

I don't feel like the Dr. Pepper commercial is sexist. I think people are taking it way to seriously.

Women that work on street corners are still human beings. Women that show a lot of skin are still human beings. I don't know what your life is like, but no matter what I wear, I still have to deal with a bunch of jerks who think it's their right as Men to invade my personal space. The onus is not on Women to dress a certain way--which is misogyny and patriarchal nonsense at its best--it's on Men to actually exercise some self-control.

The attitude surrounding Women's looks and bodies is exactly what enables Men to degrade, harass, attack and demean Women with zero repercussions. You don't want anyone to look down on you for being a housewife, or whatever you choose to do, yet it's perfectly okay for you to turn around and exhibit the same attitude toward others? That's a problem.

I've just looked up the ad on youtube and just found it to be a bit silly. (Coke Zero had similar ads, but they were somehow better). Sexism is a problem, however, in ads and in a lot of American movies (European/Australian movies seem to be a lot better actually!). I'm a little bit of a tomboy and likes guys-stuff so I (theoretically) buy the drink and be cool with it. Hope this makes sense at all.

The attitude surrounding Women's looks and bodies is exactly what enables Men to degrade, harass, attack and demean Women with zero repercussions. You don't want anyone to look down on you for being a housewife, or whatever you choose to do, yet it's perfectly okay for you to turn around and exhibit the same attitude toward others? That's a problem.

I couldn't possibly agree with this more! There are so many rape cases these days where the defense is "but she was dressed provocatively", and some of those cases are even acquitted on that basis which I find absolutely disgusting. There's some serious problems when it comes to how women are perceived, at both ends of the scale. It's important to be able to look at both sides and not to judge either way. We're sisters at the end of the day and all of us need to stick together :)

• 2 weeks later...

The media reps for Dr. Pepper are just freaking idiotic. xD The largest percentage of Dr. Pepper drinkers /are/ women and I think they're trying to get more people to drink it by appealing to a male audience.

Lets make a club house, and make all men welcome inside. That way, men will feel like they have something women don't and will be more likely to buy it. It's not as if anything really interesting is going on behind those doors, though. When my brother bought a pack of Dr Pepper 10 and flexed his manliness about like a goof I was the first to try it. xD It's way too sweet for me and leaves a really nasty film on your tongue that's just gross.

It's not worth my time. You've got to pick your battles - and if men want to be immature children that's entirely their business.

I find it rather offensive if you ask me. It's pathetic that they make an attempt to block women from drinking a soda that has been popular for both males and females. and i agree with wolf child in the fact that the largest consumers of dr paper ARE women. i drink it and it's my favorite soda of all time. in my opinion these guys are acting like little boys in a clubhouse with a "no girls allowed" sign on their door. pretty immature.

and not all females like romantic comedies and lady drinks. :P

omg sexism!! UHGG

im a girl gamer. i can't cook.

my dad is always like, you a girl, why do you play all these video games with guys.

my friends are always like get back in the kitchen! make me a sammichhh! and some insulting word after that.

i don understand why girls are limited to games like sims or something and is generalized by society to stay in kitchens. ridiculous.

To me, the Dr. Pepper thing sounds like a joke. I don't really take offense to that. What pisses me off is listening to guys degrade women in normal, everyday conversation. I'm in college, so most of it is probably a maturity issue, but walking past a group of guys and overhearing them playing this game at rating the women who passed by...disgusting. I also hate the fact that when I graduate and get a job, as a woman, I will paid less than my male coworkers. THAT is not right.

Lol, I don't care a whole lot about sexism when joking. When its serious and i'm having a debate about things like how women get fired instead of men, I take it more seriously.

For example, this is sexist, but it's funny so who cares?

meh.ro4586.jpg