9/11

Guest Yoshinho

Guest Yoshinho

Today is 9/11 a day when 3,000 people died on that day. RIP to those people and good luck to affected families.

Also people on here who think 9/11 is just a regular day will be a disgrace to me for a long time.

Please share your stories below.

I think it is not just another day. It's a day when we remember the heros of 9/11 (firefighters, EMTs, police, etc) who risked their lives to save others, and the people who passed away that day.

I was just three when it happened; but being the generation post that horrific event has let me see how the world and US became stronger from it. I think everyone has been affected from it in one way or another; even if you are like me and don't know anyone who was involved.

Never forget indeed. I was 12 years old in my 7th grade class. I was in NYC but, being so young and dumb, I did not fully grasp just how tragic and historical an event it was. Indeed, NEVER FORGET.

God Bless those people that died in 9/11 and they're families. :sad02: :sad02: :sad02:

When it happened I was a few months old with not a care in the world. Little did i know that almost 3,000 people died that day.

I feel sorry for the people who lost loved ones in that horrible event.

I was only 2 at the time, but from what I can tell now, It was one of the worst days in history.

I'l always remember that day. I was in third grade, and being on the west coast the events unfolded before I was even out of bed. I can remember my little brother climbing into my bed to wake me up and leaning into my face to whisper "Airplanes hit the big building". I had no idea what he meant until I saw the TV. I knew it was bad because my mom was crying, but I don't think I grasped the scale of the event until the past few years.

I recently watched the tv special Children of 9/11. I cried the entire time. It makes me so angry to think that all these children had their lives altered from the loss of a parent thanks to only a few people.

On 9/11, I was 16. I remember waking up to a message from my grandma and a friend of my sister's, telling us to turn on the TV. We had to call my dad because he was on his way to the local Air Force base to ride his bike. We knew immediately, he'd get turned away.

Though I wasn't affected directly in the fact that I didn't personally know anyone that was lost, I've had many friends over the years join some branch of the military and be deployed to the war zone, sometimes multiple times, due to the events on 9/11.

9/11 is a very important chapter in our history, and we should of course never forget.

However...

We should also not use 9/11 as an excuse to live differently. It is not an excuse to take away rights from people. It is not an excuse to distract ourselves from other issues. That is to say, it happened. There is nothing we can do to change the fact that it happened.

The reason why I say this last part is for a few reasons: one, I have seen nothing in the news over the last SEVERAL WEEKS except 9/11 stuff. This is despite the fact that we have a couple of wars going on in other countries, the economy is a very real and current issue...basically, we have spent all of our news media on something that is 10 years old. It is horrific, it is heartbreaking, but so are other things going on in the world that we don't know about because the media refuses to discuss current issues anymore.

The other thing: I remember exactly where I was on 9/11/01. It was the day after my fourteenth birthday, and I was in the ninth grade. I had a lot of trouble getting to school that morning. There was an enormous fire on the street of my old middle school, which was also very near my high school. It was later classified as a four-alarm fire. Fortunately, nobody died (there were injuries, but nobody died directly) but many people lost their homes and everything they owned. I've never been homeless, but all these people instantly were. It started in an apartment complex--that's a hundred people right there.

Why did they lose their homes? Because the firefighters focused on 9/11, despite the fact that they were across the country from it. They didn't respond to the scene until at least a couple hours after it had burned to the ground because they were watching TV.

My point is, focus on the here and now. Always remember, but focus on what you can do to help people NOW.

I was at school, 9th grade, 13 years old when the teachers told us what had happened. We were all sent home, I'm not sure why, since we were in South America. A lot of people from here have relatives in New York, and some of my friends lost relatives that day. My heart goes out to all the victims and survivors, and those left behind. This didn't happen in my country, but nonetheless, it is a tragedy that affected the entire world. Many countries lost their men, women and children that day. 9/11/01 will forever be a horrific date which should be remembered by all as such. However, 9/11 was and probably still is a special date for people (birthdays, anniversaries, date of some accomplishment), and people must keep that in mind before judging anyone over having a good day.

Being from a completely different country,

my heart goes out to all the 3000 people who lost their lives on that tragic day. :sad02:

God bless these people and their families.

9/11 changed many of our lives...

*facepalms & sighs*

Sometimes I wished I wasn't in the religion that started all this mess.

P.S. I'll add some more info when I come back from school.

I was only 9 when the 9/11 attack happened, and I couldn't remember much of it since I was at elementery school. I had a cousin who lived in New York who got affected by the Twin Towers threat.

9/11 is a very important chapter in our history, and we should of course never forget.

However...

We should also not use 9/11 as an excuse to live differently. It is not an excuse to take away rights from people. It is not an excuse to distract ourselves from other issues. That is to say, it happened. There is nothing we can do to change the fact that it happened.

The reason why I say this last part is for a few reasons: one, I have seen nothing in the news over the last SEVERAL WEEKS except 9/11 stuff. This is despite the fact that we have a couple of wars going on in other countries, the economy is a very real and current issue...basically, we have spent all of our news media on something that is 10 years old. It is horrific, it is heartbreaking, but so are other things going on in the world that we don't know about because the media refuses to discuss current issues anymore.

The other thing: I remember exactly where I was on 9/11/01. It was the day after my fourteenth birthday, and I was in the ninth grade. I had a lot of trouble getting to school that morning. There was an enormous fire on the street of my old middle school, which was also very near my high school. It was later classified as a four-alarm fire. Fortunately, nobody died (there were injuries, but nobody died directly) but many people lost their homes and everything they owned. I've never been homeless, but all these people instantly were. It started in an apartment complex--that's a hundred people right there.

Why did they lose their homes? Because the firefighters focused on 9/11, despite the fact that they were across the country from it. They didn't respond to the scene until at least a couple hours after it had burned to the ground because they were watching TV.

My point is, focus on the here and now. Always remember, but focus on what you can do to help people NOW.

I agree 100%. Thank you for saying this. Unfortunately, the media is always doing that, and it's often much worse. A good example is when Michael Jackson died; the major news stations were completely focused on some irrelevant celebrity's death... at least this is something related to the livelihood of the nation.

That said, I have a lot of respect for the service men and women who responded to 9/11. My grandfather was a firefighter, and my father was in the military, and I can't imagine what it would have been like to lose family or friends to such a senseless act. Yes, never forget.

9/11 was a terrible day, when a terrible event occurred. I never truly understood exactly the loss until a few years back. People, friends, families, were gone. To the families, my condolences. Though it means nothing much, the world supports you. Keep living, in the memory of the gone.