Should parents be allowed to spank their children?

Mira

Should parents be allowed to spank their children?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should parents be allowed to spank their children?

• Yes.
    • No.

I highly don't recommend it. Spanking a child could cause problems with their social behavior and it makes a bad impression for the parents. In order to corect a child for their inapropriate behavior, rather than using spanking as a method, you need to use harmless punishment as taking an object away from them for a while or putting them in time-out.

Okay. I agree with you Metroid. :P I think parents don't think about how strong they are compared to the child and how sensitive the child is. And it doesn't make them learn. It makes them think it's okay to hurt people because when really young, children look up to their parents. And that could lead to that child becoming an abusive parent.

i dunno, depends on what they done, if its something little, then yeah wqhat metroid says, but if they keep doing it, they may to spank their child.

because if its just a item being taken away for a few hours, the kid will learn to cope with that, but if they hit then they will know they done bad and stop doing it.

also if you don't tell you kid whats right and wrong, they may turn out like a ASBO and be anti social and hurt people for the fun of it, so i say Yes and No, if ionce, then no spanking, but if they keep acting/doing it then have to

Why shouldn't they? They're the ones who went through conception, birth and all that, so technically they brought them into the world, and should have the authority to do it.

That just could leave a child afraid and non-social and mess up their lives. It's highly unfair to do so.

I believe that parents have the right to spank their children.

I think spanking can be an effective form of disipline. It's not my choice as top form of disipline, but as a rare occasion, it works. In some situations; timeouts, taking away of privileges, and talking tos don't work. (Like I was spanked after running into the street and nearly run over.)

However, this is totally different from just beating kids. That can't be justified, even if our parents and grandparents survied it. Actually, they were just absolutely abused by their parents with wooden spoons and belts. And it was fine; they turned out fine, weren't scarred for life and were more respective towards their elders. Today, kids run the household. :ohno:

(Feel free to post rebuttals to my post)

I agree with Chipmonker, spanking is an effective method of discipline in some, but not all cases. For example you can spank a child, but only after repeated warnings. Beating is completely inappropriate though.

nah there are other ways to handle a child. Back in elementary there was this girl who actually got spanked whenever she did a "bad" thing, like if she broke the vase by accident or something like that. She was completely terrify about it and never wanted to go home and would always try to make up an excuse to stay after school. We're talking about children here, they're in the process of learning and if you teach them to solve problems with violence, then that's not a very good example, is it? Yea, some kids throw really bad tantrums and all, but you can always go to counseling with the child...

Spanking is not necessarily violent. It actually be quite gentle. And other ways of controlling a child should be employed before spanking.

I don't think the government should step in.

Mod Edit: Don't just state your opinion and leave. Try to add some supporting facts or thought processes.

I think spanking is necessary. It tells them what is wrong and changes their attitude. If a kid breaks a vase you shouldnt say, "That's alright pookie. Try to be more careful next time. We'll just get a new one." That messes with their judgement making them think, I wont be hurt if I do anything I want. The opposite comes from spanking. It gives them better judgement. Now, beating is bad. Spanking is only necessary after some things such as arguing with parents. or being stupid.

uhh...actually, spanking isnt bad. If you do it with extreme anger, thats bad. Or if its pointless, thats bad. but it does reinforce some of the rules into them.

uhh...actually, spanking isnt bad. If you do it with extreme anger, thats bad. Or if its pointless, thats bad. but it does reinforce some of the rules into them.

I completely agree with Keiko. Spanking reinforces a point that the parent (or grandparent) is trying to make or as last resort. However, harm may come when the parent is only using it because they are tired or fustrated. Or when they are purposely trying to do harm to the child. This is completely different from using it in a good way -> "Johnny, I love you *hug* But I need you to learn ... & that is why the spanking"

But it teaches children that violence is the answer, and that could make them grow up to be a murdererererer.

Mira, I agree that violence is not the answer, but spanking is not going to turn a child into a violent person. Neglect and constant abuse may, but not just spanking...

but even if its spanking it does say something. There IS a sort of "violent" contact and the child does feel threatened. I think the best method is to take away something they like the most, like video games or TV and don't give them back until the child has apologized or has done "merits".

Spanking is only one way to teach a child to behave if they've done something bad. Believe me, I've been spanked before, and I've learned lessons, too. However, spanking isn't always necessary; maybe some talking, timeouts, stuff like that. When you spank your child, that does not make them a bad person. It's not violent, it teaches them what's right and wrong when they don't listen the first few times.

When children are young, they don't understand the difference between right and wrong. They just understand that doing something bad will cause pain, so they won't do it. When I was young, I got spanked, and now, even though my parents don't anymore, I still have that same sense of control and discipline.

My little sister (13) never got spanked, and she now thinks that biting, scratching, kicking, punching, etc, is perfectly fine, so spanking is irrelevent to if a kid is violent or not. She routinely hurts me hard enough to draw blood, and she encourages her dog to attack me.

This post has been close by a member of staff (Chipmonker) because of this thread's old age!

PM me, Chipmonker, to have it reopened and/or for any other mod-ish duty.