Science vs. Legend

Spirited Away

Real or Fake  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in ghosts?

2. 2. Do you believe in legends?(Nessie,vampires,etc)

• Of course I BELIEVE!
    • NO there all fake!

Everyday of the school year the three of us travel by the same places to get to school at 7 o'clock. We always pass by a cemetery. There is a building at the cemetery was closed. I happened to stare at a window at the building. As I looked I saw something. Something, I couldn't explain. There... there was a lady.. in white walking through the hallway by the window. I continued to stare at the the figure until it passed two more windows. I have no idea if it was a worker or something else.... I don't think it was walking, it actually went briskly through the hallway as if it were gliding across the floor. THIS IS MY TRUE STORY.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let the debate BEGIN

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie).

The topic was posted in the wrong area.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been MOVED from ‘General Chat’ to ‘The Debate Chat’.

I don't think what you saw was real. Maybe it was just your imagination. When I'm scared at night I look out of my window and imagine really scary things which scare me even more than I am. But its not real! Its just my imagination. Maybe the person you saw was a worker or someone like that.

I don't think what you saw was real. Maybe it was just your imagination. When I'm scared at night I look out of my window and imagine really scary things which scare me even more than I am. But its not real! Its just my imagination. Maybe the person you saw was a worker or someone like that.

Do you really think so? Well, a had a fence on it. That means all the doors are LOCKED. NO ONE IS INSIDE. Plus why would people work in cemetery 7 in the morning. I don't think they work in the morning time.

Throughout history, people have had phenomenons of either paranoia or imagination where they see things that aren't really there. Your brain can trick itself at times; sort of like a mirage in the desert (though I think that has more to do with a trick of the eyes). Of course, shadows can be tricks of the eyes too. Lighting can be deceiving. Ghost stories that everyone hears from a young age can contribute to the likelihood of "seeing" things. It's always been a part of culture.

Cemeteries are a very popular theme in ghost stories, which can also contribute to the feeling of... uneasiness, I guess you could call it.

Throughout history, people have had phenomenons of either paranoia or imagination where they see things that aren't really there. Your brain can trick itself at times; sort of like a mirage in the desert (though I think that has more to do with a trick of the eyes). Of course, shadows can be tricks of the eyes too. Lighting can be deceiving. Ghost stories that everyone hears from a young age can contribute to the likelihood of "seeing" things. It's always been a part of culture.

Cemeteries are a very popular theme in ghost stories, which can also contribute to the feeling of... uneasiness, I guess you could call it.

Maybe your right or wrong.School usually makes me stressed. That maybe a reason.......

I've seen some pretty weird stuff at my aunt's house. It's pretty old. Disembodied hands (hands+arm not attached to body, my cousin sitting in the living room, turning around and seeing her coming in from outside a second later, etc). I'm not sure what's up but these things have happened enough so that I can't really doubt their existence any more.

I've seen some pretty weird stuff at my aunt's house. It's pretty old. Disembodied hands (hands+arm not attached to body, my cousin sitting in the living room, turning around and seeing her coming in from outside a second later, etc). I'm not sure what's up but these things have happened enough so that I can't really doubt their existence any more.

It may be multiple ghosts or one that is very very ACTIVE. Does you Aunt live alone in that house? Well If she does she shouldn't be alone.

When I'm on my laptop lat at night, I sometimes see a dark figure move across the room. o_O Also, some people in my church were in an old desrted building that used to be a part of the church, and they said they heard a little girl saying "Jesus......." Or something like that.

I firmly believe in spirits though I never actually contacted one or saw one or anything like that, I do believe that there are unrested souls wandering about.

As for legends, they may have been just misinterpreted beings. The Chupacabra would be a mutated dog, the Lochness Monster might be a prehistoric dinosaur that survived, and Krakens are giants squids.

I firmly believe in spirits though I never actually contacted one or saw one or anything like that, I do believe that there are unrested souls wandering about.

Don't you ever get scared at night or something? I mean, if you do believe aren't you afraid?

I don't get it, why do a lot of people (at my place) believe in ghosts and spirits and all that stuff?

It could be due their culture, even mine does believe ghosts and spirits exist, just that I don't actually. :P

I remembered walking to school through an overhead bridge with a teacher(?) an arm's length away behind me. Suddenly I felt like someone was pulling me backwards. I turned back, thinking it was her, but she was further away than the previous time. In the end, I suspected it was the wind or my imagination and... yeah, just carried on walking. :P

As for legends, I simply don't believe in them!

I live very close to a graveyard, so it does fascinate me, but scare no. I do get scared at the Ouja Board, or something, I forget the spelling, but contacting a spirit that way sounds terrifying. Another way that I would be frightened would be haunted houses, actual ones with the owners buried underneath, it gives the sense that their soul has not rested yet. People give the false sense that night is a bad or evil mood which in fact it shouldn't have, the moon reflects the sun's light so it's just sunlight 24/7.

The difference with ghosts is that they're in the underworld, we can't look for them.

Legends on the other hand "exist" on our land, so we can try to find them.

Humans are more interested in what we can't have.

Well, I believe in the supernatural, yeah. But I don't believe that there are ghosts wandering around and haunting cemetaries and old mansions (if a place is haunted, it won't be by a ghost) and I DEFINITELY don't believe in vampires (that whole legend started because a count in translvania had a rare skin disorder, you know). However, I do believe that the supernatural does exist, though I don't think it affects our lives in such a manner very often. Most of what people think are ghosts are illusions or hallucinations or simply tricks played by a fearful mind (I've seen figures in the darkness while on my laptop in a dark room... stupid fear of being alone in the dark). However, there may be the occasion when some thing really supernatural (usually demonic, in that case) is going on. But it's not as common as a lot of people make it out to be.

What Spirited Away and Khaos saw and heard about were probably just misinterpretations of reality - they seem ordinary enough, at least. I'm not sure about Miss iPod's disembodied hands, though the cousin thing just seems like her mind was playing tricks on her, or she wasn't paying enough attention. Ouija (that's how they're spelled) boards are downright demonic. It made me sick when I saw them selling those at Toys'R'Us. I mean, really? Ouija boards as children's toys? Whether they're really contacting the dead, demonic like I think, or just a load of bunk, is that REALLY a good idea?

To Marshmallow: Yes people do build little homes in the tombs, they are homeless so they make the tombs their homes.

I would like to comment on Sparksbet's entry and a clarification to my own. I know they sell Ouija Boards but I'm more so interested in holding the real ones with the pentagrams seal and not that baloney in the commercials, it's just an insult to those souls unrested. People those that can really talk to spirits are the ones who should really be able to trusted

Where I live they do ghost walks every night. Take you around show you things takes about 2 hrs, I've never been but lots of ppl must believe for it to go on all the time. One of the places they go is right by my home. I don't think I've ever seen a ghost so I marked I don't believe but I know there are many things out there that are real that you can't see. I can't see radio waves but the music on the radio wakes me up every morning.

I do believe in ghosts, even if I have never had a personal experience with them. I believe because I hope that in the afterlife as a soul I will be able to visit my loved ones. As for Nessie, vampires, werewolves, I say anything is possible. But I usually don't believe unless there is proof. However there are mental health issues that some humans have where they THINK they are vampires and etc. I may believe in Bigfoot, after watching way too much Animal Planet. :) lol

I live about 5 miles from Waverly Hills Sanitarium. If you don't know the place, look it up. Anyway as teenagers we used to...you know...sneak into the abandoned place. Well I've been through the place with many people, and one thing is a constant. Those people who are afraid, and jittery inside always "See" something. While the cool heads never see anything. I think that speaks volumes about this subject, and how fear will effect you.

Personally, I do not believe in ghosts, legends, or any of this stuff. However, me not believing doesn't make it "not true". It just means that I don't believe it. Hundreds of years ago, no one believed the earth was round, but it was. The only thing I'm saying is until I see proof with my own eyes, then I don't believe it. With this said, I am a huge fan of horror films, and the idea of ghosts. I love Waverly Hills for what it is. A Spooky old building with a very morbid history.

Those people who are afraid, and jittery inside always "See" something.

Yeah, that is very true. I actually am afraid of things at night. And every time I look somewhere I see a silhouette of someone or of some animal.