What is the Altador Cup?

Lexiii

I know its a stupid question, but I am so confused. I just recently started playing neopets again and I can't quite grasp the concept of the Altador cup. Thanks

It's a yearly sporting event in Neopets canon. 18 teams, or 16 in past tournaments, representing different areas in Neopia (Altador, Brightvale, Faerieland, etc...) compete for top honors. Neopets users can help their preferred team by signing up as a supporter and playing the games involved to add to each team's daily score/stats (unseen by regular users, but results for each match are reported at the end of each day by TNT). The main game is Yooyuball and thus carries the most weight. The sidegames may not be as "important" as YYB, but playing them still contributes to your team's chances of winning. Is that helpful?

Yes, it is. Thanks! But I am still curious... Is it too late to join and help a team once the Cup has started?

It's not too late, per se, as you can join any team as long as the tournament is running.

However, this year's cup has ended (if I'm not mistaken?). If not, it's ending soon. And it's too late to play a lot of games to get the good prizes.

Eg. Yooyuball lasts 3 minutes per game, and if you win you get 1 point. To get SOME of the best prizes, you need AT LEAST 2000 points. 2000 x 3 minutes = 6000 minutes = 100 hours of playing a game that gets boring really fast.

It's not too late, per se, as you can join any team as long as the tournament is running.

However, this year's cup has ended (if I'm not mistaken?). If not, it's ending soon. And it's too late to play a lot of games to get the good prizes.

Eg. Yooyuball lasts 3 minutes per game, and if you win you get 1 point. To get SOME of the best prizes, you need AT LEAST 2000 points. 2000 x 3 minutes = 6000 minutes = 100 hours of playing a game that gets boring really fast.

yeah, the signup period starts a couple weeks before the tournament and only ends when the final day has finished. The sooner you start, the more time you have to play and earn points for yourself and your team. As for this year, the final day of the tournament was yesterday; the final results are being revealed tomorrow and that means this year's tournament is over. You can always sign up for AC VII next year. I hear Terror Mountain is a cool team. :P

yeah, the signup period starts a couple weeks before the tournament and only ends when the final day has finished. The sooner you start, the more time you have to play and earn points for yourself and your team. As for this year, the final day of the tournament was yesterday; the final results are being revealed tomorrow and that means this year's tournament is over. You can always sign up for AC VII next year. I hear Terror Mountain is a cool team. :P

Talk about self-advertising hahahaha! I plan on playing more seriously next year. After coming back from about a 7 year hiatus (oh the old days how I miss them...) I blindly picked Faerieland as my team not knowing that they aren't really a hardcore AC contender. That being said, I still contributed about 50 YYB wins (just so I could get a "rank").

Think I'll join TM next year then ;)

@Lexiii: See Agju's stats just to know how much you have to play to get a great amount of points. I'm not sure how long exactly the AC lasts, but if you want a great prize (last year's was a Pirate Paint Brush I think?), you'll have to be ready to put in a lot of play time.

Talk about self-advertising hahahaha! I plan on playing more seriously next year. After coming back from about a 7 year hiatus (oh the old days how I miss them...) I blindly picked Faerieland as my team not knowing that they aren't really a hardcore AC contender. That being said, I still contributed about 50 YYB wins (just so I could get a "rank").

Think I'll join TM next year then ;)

@Lexiii: See Agju's stats just to know how much you have to play to get a great amount of points. I'm not sure how long exactly the AC lasts, but if you want a great prize (last year's was a Pirate Paint Brush I think?), you'll have to be ready to put in a lot of play time.

Well I was talking to Lexiii, but Terror Mountain could use all the help it can get, so do join if you so choose. ;) We're fairly weak in YYB, but strong across the board in sidegames. Whether or not a team is a powerhouse, do pick a team you like. :)

As for the length of the tournament, there's the Double Round Robin, which is 34 days (facing the other 17 teams twice). Then, a break day. Then, the four day final period to determine final rankings within each tier, so not counting the break day and pre-play practice/signup periods, the tournament is 38 days.

Anyway, Lexiii, you don't have to play a lot (my stats came at the expense of TONS of time spent across the whole tournament and I don't even have the highest totals on this board!), but do try to play some games for whatever team you choose because inactive players can sandbag their teams. And if you can, play each game; sometimes the sidegames can make a difference. Taking this year into account, Roo Island had an excellent YYB record, but finished in Tier 3 because of their weak sidegame records whereas my team, Terror Mountain, has one of the weaker YYB records but we snagged a spot in Tier 2 thanks our strong sidegame track records.

Anyway, Lexiii, you don't have to play a lot (my stats came at the expense of TONS of time spent across the whole tournament and I don't even have the highest totals on this board!), but do try to play some games for whatever team you choose because inactive players can sandbag their teams.

Hmm, I have a question. Is "winning" based on percentage then?

That is to say, for example, TM has 100 players and 50 players get 1 win (thus 50% productivity/win rate). And let's say FL has 50 players and 50 players get 1 win (thus 100% productivity/win rate).

Does this make FL win, or is it just still a tie?

JOIN SHENKUU

JOIN SHENKUU

JOIN SHENKUU

next year Shenkuu will continue to shine ... the sky is the limit .. we are ninjas .. we shall climb on top of VP station and bring it down :D :D :king: