You know what I never understood?

Emily

I never got why we can't price items over 99,999 NP. Being able to charge exactly what we want for things, especially expensive items that exceed limits of the TP and auctions. Something may be worth 100 million, but even trading items, it would be hard to get what you want for the item. Sometimes, users must rely on 2 part trades or auctions, something that TNT warns against, but also, in some cases, makes necessary. We would still use the trading post for trading batches of items, and the auctions for selling things that we aren't really sure of the price of or feel like taking a chance on the selling price in the hope that the bidding may go higher than what it's worth. Especially in the case of item lending, it would allow far less chance for scamming if we were able to charge exactly what the items are worth, making people much less likely to run away with our things. Any thoughts? I'm tempted to write into the editorial about this, but I might skim through old articles to see if it has been asked before.

Edit: it would also alleviate all the annoying junk offers on the trading post. Why people insist on offering me piles of dung for dubloons and map pieces is beyond me...

Yeah, it would be a lot more convenient. I think the whole thing is a little outdated. I realize that it was made to protect players from scams and whatnot but it really interferes with gameplay.

Whoa, I never even thought of that! It's true though.

Maybe it would help if when you searched an item you got an image of what the wizard was showing you the price of - for example, if you were searching for lab maps it would show you exactly what piece you were seeing the prices for so you didn't have to click on the shop just to find out. I don't know how much that would help scamming, except for things like code stones where you didn't realize it was a code stone plushie (though, you could figure that out when you clicked on the store).

Seems to me if you can scam in shops you can scam in TP too, right?

Probably. I might write into the editorial. I'm really curious. I hope If they answer I get a real answer and not that "Lawyerbot" business...

They have answered it in an Editorial before, last year (interesting answer, too - makes sense).

-----------------------------------------------

Dear TNT: I have been playing off and on here since 2002. And something has been bugging me for years... really... years. Why cant we price items in our shops higher than 99,999? I know that we have the auctions and TP, but still... why? Please answer. Thanks bunches ~cerulean_sins07

Because you have auctions and the Trading Post, which are meant to be used for larger transactions. :) Also, unlike the Trading Post and Auction House, player shops are customisable and therefore more prone to malicious coding. We do our best to try to block it and fix the issue that allows it as it happens, but there are always those few who seem intent in constantly trying to find ways to abuse the site. By limiting the amount that items can be purchased for in shops, it effectively puts a reasonable cap on how much one of these scams can cost you if you fall for it.

Also, could you imagine mis-pricing your item for 99,999 when you meant 999,999? And you thought the 9,999 typo was bad! D:

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=351