Randomly started getting a error on neopets.com

I just started getting the Error that says

"You have been directed to this page from the wrong place! If you KEEP getting this error, chances are you have some security settings enabled that are not letting you play Neopets correctly.

Click here to see some tips that might help you fix this problem."

I have tried the tips they suggest but it still hasnt sorted the problem. I dont really understand why this has started coming up as i havent updated any of my anti-virus / firewall software today so there should be nothing different than what it was when everything was working fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Could you post one of the link that gives you that error?

Feeding to a pet and trying to add a item to the safety deposit box are but a few that i know also result in this happening.

I first saw it on this page though (i got it from trying to complete a pets training.)

http://www.neopets.com/pirates/process_academy.phtml

This is a printscreen http://oi54.tinypic.com/121esr8.jpg

Cornflakes advice is sound. If it doesn't resolve your issue, that means you have some setting or other that is preventing your browser from sending the HTTP referrer header, which is very odd... if the problem persists, could you mention which browser you're using?

This error happens to me too. If you just try to type something into the address bar, it won't work unless its an edit from an original link. If you have Firefox (and I see that you do), and you open a tab and you click on a neopets link in "most visited" besides one of the explore, games, news, pet central, etc. it will lead you to that error. The link that was recently posted is where i always get it.

At least that's what I think it is. o_O

yea the cache clear didnt work and the above poster is right i am using firefox

I opened neopets in IE8 and it worked fine. So it is a problem with firefox.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Crusher) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post - there's an edit button at the bottom-right of your posts for your convenience. :) Posts merged!

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I opened neopets in IE8 and it worked fine. So it is a problem with firefox.

Tip: It only helps us if you list the version of Firefox. I'm assuming you're using Firefox 4?

I got that message in Firefox 4 as well...

That definitely confirms what I was suspecting earlier - something is telling Firefox not to send HTTP referrer information (and Neopets doesn't allow pageloads without appropriate HTTP referrers in many cases, to make it harder for bots to navigate the site). There are some add-ons that are known to cause this problem (e.g. Illimitux) - disabling them should help to get rid of it.

The specific preference for this is a hidden one, so really a boneheaded add-on is the only way this could have been triggered without you knowing what was going on. You can try flipping the pref back to its usual value if you like.

1) Type 'about:config' (without quotes) into the URL bar and press enter.

2) Read and heed the warning.

3) Type 'network.http.sendRefererHeader' (without quotes) into the filter box.

4) Right-click the resulting preference entry and click 'Reset'.

That definitely confirms what I was suspecting earlier - something is telling Firefox not to send HTTP referrer information (and Neopets doesn't allow pageloads without appropriate HTTP referrers in many cases, to make it harder for bots to navigate the site). There are some add-ons that are known to cause this problem (e.g. Illimitux) - disabling them should help to get rid of it.

The specific preference for this is a hidden one, so really a boneheaded add-on is the only way this could have been triggered without you knowing what was going on. You can try flipping the pref back to its usual value if you like.

1) Type 'about:config' (without quotes) into the URL bar and press enter.

2) Read and heed the warning.

3) Type 'network.http.sendRefererHeader' (without quotes) into the filter box.

4) Right-click the resulting preference entry and click 'Reset'.

Resetting the preference has sorted the problem. :woot: Thanks for the help and thanks to all the other people who tried helping aswell.

All right, I'm glad to hear things are working. :) Do be aware that if the problem is caused by a bad extension, that extension may go and mess with the preference again.