Lenny Conundrum Advice

Ethelune

So, I've been trying to be one of the first 250 to answer a Lenny Conundrum correctly for a few months, now, in the hopes of getting a gold trophy for my cabinet. I've won once, awhile back... but, in all honesty, that was with help from my boyfriend. :*

I can usually do the calculus- and physics-based ones (just not soon enough!), since they're fairly straightforward... but the ones that require you to solve some sort of pattern (whether based on images, numbers, or words) almost always leave me stumped. x_x

Might some of you advise me on how to approach those kinds of questions? Which past conundrums have you found easy to solve and why? I'd really appreciate the help!

That's one of the problems I have. I'm in class from 9:30 AM until 2:30 PM NST on Wednesdays... so, by the time I can get back online, the latest conundrum's been out for a couple hours or so. Hopefully, my chances will increase once I'm free for the summer. x_x

Well, for the pattern ones, there's usually a hint on where to look for the pattern. Sometimes Google is your friend (e.g., I've put the string into a "site:www.neopets.com" search before, or even just individual words from the string that might be rare on-site, and that gives me starting places). Common starting places are games, the Neopedia, or shops, and sometimes timing helps (e.g., at the start of Daily Dare, they might more likely be games). I think the more you look at solutions of past conundrums, the better you're able to guess how the writer's mind works.

I've gotten top 250 submitting late in the week before (I hardly ever catch the news, and never sit around waiting for it), so it is possible. You just need patience to solve the really tricky ones. This week's would be a great example on how to recognize the pattern, but I can't tell you until it's over. If you don't solve it and can't figure it out once the solution is posted (sometimes the solution doesn't explain it), PM me and I'll tell you how it was done.

Thank you so much for the help! I took your advice on where to begin with last week's conundrum... and I managed to get it right after some thought, albeit on Tuesday. ;)

Hopefully, I'll be able to work out the patterns quicker with some experience... but your starting points were very helpful, and I thank you for them. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... I've been assuming that, should I get into the first 250 for a second time, my trophy would be upgraded from bronze to "2xCHAMPION!!!" So, when I got a Neomail from TNT saying I had been one of the first 250 to answer correctly this past week, I was understandably excited... but, on going to my lookup, the same, sad bronze is still there.

Now, after doing some research, I'm hearing a few folks say you need to be one of the first ten to answer correctly to get a gold trophy. :S Is that true..? Does anyone here have experience with this?

I have no idea how the high score table works. I'm a "3x champion" with a gold trophy. It's been years since that number bumped up to 3, and I've gotten several (at least 10) top 250's since then. I don't know how people would know that it has to be "top 10." I was never told I was anything except top 250. I used to think it might be the number of times in a row you're top 250, but I don't think so, now. Quite honestly, I would be very surprised if I ever made top 10 even once; I'm not one to sit around refreshing the page, and when I solve a puzzle, I take my time and try to be sure of my answer before submitting.

With all that being said, though, people who get a trophy upgrade have said that they "finally solved it very quickly after catching it right when it came out" (after having several top 250's but no gold) so there probably is something to it. Of course, no one but TNT knows. Maybe ask in the editorial?

With all that being said, though, people who get a trophy upgrade have said that they "finally solved it very quickly after catching it right when it came out" (after having several top 250's but no gold) so there probably is something to it. Of course, no one but TNT knows. Maybe ask in the editorial?

I think I will. I'm not confident that they'll reply, but knowing for sure would help a lot of the folks who play, especially those trying for the trophy. :)

Again, thank you for the advice! I'm getting better at solving questions unrelated to math or physics... so, hopefully, it won't take too long before I can get the gold. ^_^

I can usually get the math ones too, but I don't refresh until one comes out (is there a certain time they come out?) and sometimes I'll even forget until the last day anyway. There's also people who have message boards (off neo) that find the answer, then post for all the members to use it. Once it shows on one of these boards, you can pretty much guarantee that you won't get top 250. It's rather irritating. You'd think you would keep the answer to yourself so your np prize would be bigger.