Anyone else interested in photography?

Tank Girl

Here is my new camera, the Olympus OM-1n MD

28iakop.png

Isn't she beautiful?? Complete bargain at £30 thanks to a wonderful e-bayer! A bit naked at the mo but I'm searching for lenses as we speak. I'm waiting till I see her to decide on a name. And no I don't think it's bizarre to name my cameras, it's good to personify your tools :D

I sold my Nikon D70 (Barnaby) late last year, really sick of digital. Completely lacks soul. I got the OM-1n MD so I didn't have any of that automatic aperture nonsense you get with the later models, makes for a much more interesting picture.

Me and my boyfriend are moving again soon and we're hoping to get a spare room that I can turn into a dark room! I can't wait!

Does anyone else shoot manually? Or just interested in photography in general?

My younger brother just bought a camera. He is very much into it. I try it sometimes, but I do have to say, I am quite bad at it. I might ask him someday to teach me some techniques.

My younger brother just bought a camera. He is very much into it. I try it sometimes, but I do have to say, I am quite bad at it. I might ask him someday to teach me some techniques.

It's quite easy to learn once you know the fundamentals of composition and operation. You should give it a go! It's one of those hobbies that's quite addictive. Since I started dabbling I see great pictures everywhere just walking through the street. Sometimes this a bit frustrating though as I don't currently have a decent camera :( Will in a couple of days though yay!

Very nice!

I love photography. I'm not especially skilled at it, but I enjoy it. Right now, I only have a fairly good small digital camera. (It was my dad's pocket camera, but he gave it to me when I moved out.) Now my dad... he's highly into photography. Before he met my mom, he actually turned his apartment bathroom into a dark room. And he's amazing at it. I think he has 1 really nice film camera, and 3 super-amazing digital cameras. (When him and I went on a concert cruise, with 2 of us, we went with 3 cameras, and came back with over 3000 pictures and videos.)

It's quite easy to learn once you know the fundamentals of composition and operation. You should give it a go! It's one of those hobbies that's quite addictive. Since I started dabbling I see great pictures everywhere just walking through the street. Sometimes this a bit frustrating though as I don't currently have a decent camera :( Will in a couple of days though yay!

I will give it a try someday. :) We have quite a few decent places to start with. I used to have a digital camera. I wasn't good at it. Most of the images were blurry. :P

I sometimes check the Deviantart photographies. They are amazing most of the time. Like this one. I absolutely love the colors. <3

Very nice!

I love photography. I'm not especially skilled at it, but I enjoy it. Right now, I only have a fairly good small digital camera. (It was my dad's pocket camera, but he gave it to me when I moved out.) Now my dad... he's highly into photography. Before he met my mom, he actually turned his apartment bathroom into a dark room. And he's amazing at it. I think he has 1 really nice film camera, and 3 super-amazing digital cameras. (When him and I went on a concert cruise, with 2 of us, we went with 3 cameras, and came back with over 3000 pictures and videos.)

Haha that's amazing! I'd never thought of that.. If we don't get a spare bedroom I might just have to do some converting.

Have you ever thought of doing a course? I did one a couple of years ago and they taught us all about manual cameras and how to work with enlargers and dark rooms, was really really interesting!

I will give it a try someday. :) We have quite a few decent places to start with. I used to have a digital camera. I wasn't good at it. Most of the images were blurry. :P

I sometimes check the Deviantart photographies. They are amazing most of the time. Like this one. I absolutely love the colors. <3

Oooh that is a really nice picture! I haven't been on Deviantart in a really long time, I'm going to peruse it now :)

I'm a bit of a photographer -pokes that big wall of interests to the left-, but all I have is a little pink point-and-shoot. I never really take pictures of myself or other people, mostly nature. I'm considering upgrading to a more advanced and serious model, but I don't know which one I'd like.

I have to agree that deviantART has some nice photographs, but I have very generic photographs on mine. :P

I'm a bit of a photographer -pokes that big wall of interests to the left-, but all I have is a little pink point-and-shoot. I never really take pictures of myself or other people, mostly nature. I'm considering upgrading to a more advanced and serious model, but I don't know which one I'd like.

I have to agree that deviantART has some nice photographs, but I have very generic photographs on mine. :P

If you do I strongly suggest going for a manual instead of a digital, especially as you take pictures of nature. I've seen some really beautiful shots on the net recently, here are a couple of examples:

2d0gkme.jpg

2ewoadk.jpg

Neither of these pictures are photoshopped or edited in any way. The second was done by using a tripod and by having a long exposure time. So cool!

Wow! I'm in love with that second picture! *___* It looks amazing! 8D

I really want to get into photography as a hobby, but I just can't seem to find the time. :( I have a dinky little point-and-shoot that takes decent pictures, but that's about it. But my friends who have SLRs have let me handle theirs, and I did have fun messing with the settings, and taking pictures. Still struggling with composition though. :laughingsmiley:

Unfortunately for me, I love photography, but cannot afford a camera that I consider to be essential for the photos I want to take. Far too expensive, when you include paying for the various lenses.

However, I've been taking pictures since I was 12, even did some photography with a pinhole camera. :D

If you do I strongly suggest going for a manual instead of a digital, especially as you take pictures of nature.

There's been some amazing advancements in digital photography. One of my dad's digital cameras has such high resolution, that you could blow it up into a huge size, and still have a perfectly crystal clear image. My dad's tens of thousands of pictures (I'm not even exaggerating. I might actually be under-stating.) are mostly nature pictures. Very few have people or buildings, even. (Unless it was a family vacation.)

I have a couple really awesome pictures my sister and dad took. (My sister is big into photography as well.) She took a picture similar to the second one you posted, in Las Vegas at the Venetian with the fountains and moving cars, all with the long exposure. When I get home, I'll hunt down the pictures and post them.

I used to be mildly into photography, and finding the perfect composition for a shot and all that. Never had a really good camera or anything though, it was just fun. Your new camera is pretty sick though, congrats on finding such a bargain! :D

There's been some amazing advancements in digital photography. One of my dad's digital cameras has such high resolution, that you could blow it up into a huge size, and still have a perfectly crystal clear image. My dad's tens of thousands of pictures (I'm not even exaggerating. I might actually be under-stating.) are mostly nature pictures. Very few have people or buildings, even. (Unless it was a family vacation.)

I have a couple really awesome pictures my sister and dad took. (My sister is big into photography as well.) She took a picture similar to the second one you posted, in Las Vegas at the Venetian with the fountains and moving cars, all with the long exposure. When I get home, I'll hunt down the pictures and post them.

It's cool and all that you can get pictures that big but I don't understand why people pay like, £500 for a camera just because of how many megapixels it has. A lot of people don't understand it doesn't improve the image itself it just means you can make it bigger. That kind of a camera is perfect for the type of thing your dad shoots, but a lot of newbies don't really understand that megapixels don't necessarily mean it's a better camera, and can end up paying over the odds for functions they just don't need.

Plus anyone can take a picture on a decent digital camera and make it look alright. I love that working with a manual requires basic knowledge of how a camera works and adjusting the settings yourself to get that perfect photograph instead of just editing on photoshop later. Feels more soulful and I find myself happier with the pictures and thinking more about composition as I can't just hit 'delete' and try again.

Those pictures sound great I would love to see them! Me and the boyf are planning on having our honeymoon in Vegas :D

Unfortunately for me, I love photography, but cannot afford a camera that I consider to be essential for the photos I want to take. Far too expensive, when you include paying for the various lenses.

However, I've been taking pictures since I was 12, even did some photography with a pinhole camera. :D

Well, I got my camera body for £30, so like 60-70 dollars or something? Your basic Olympus make non zoom lens for my camera is about £20 used, and basic zoom lens is about £50 used. That's pretty much all you need for starting out (even just one lens is fine) besides film, obv, and possibly a flash gun if you want to shoot at night or in low lighting conditions.

Keep checking ebay! I've been monitoring it for about two weeks now, researching cameras and prices for things and I've seen quite a few bargains!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say - that camera is quite a catch

I sometimes pass by antique and second-hand shops , I see lots of manual cameras for sale ... but none seem to be really functioning ... I never owned a digital camera .. my last camera was a Kodak 35mm panoramic ... it broke and I never bought another one

these days I just live on taking pictures with my Nokia ... it's horrible I know , but it's not the time now for a camera , be it a 16Mb or a manual one ... and I have to say my friends are quite impressed with just what I do with my Nokia lol ...