22 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the 3DS?

• I can't wait to get one!
    • I already have it and I love it!
    • I regret buying it.
    • I'm not interested.
    • Too expensive for me!
    • Not available where I live. :(

I pre-ordered the new 3DS and got it about 2 hours ago. At first glance, this is the direction that handheld gaming is going.

Nintendo-3DS-Blue-500x440.jpg

Design: I personally picked the blue 3DS. It looks light blue in the pictures, but it it a shiny turquoise with silver and black in some areas. It's just a little but bigger than a DS Lite and has a new button layout. I personally enjoy the layout, including the new circle pad above the directional buttons. There is also the addition of a Home button like on the Wii. The stylus is in the back of the DS near the game card. I'd give the design a 5/5.

Installed Hardware: There's a bunch of installed toys for you to play with if you don't have a 3D game yet. These are the Camera, Sound Player/Recorder, and 2 new 3D games: Face Shooter and a game with "AR" cards.

• The sound player/recorder is the same one that is on the DSi, and the camera is the same except for the new function to take 3D pictures with the dual cameras.
  • The face shooter is a great game. You take a picture (the first one is of yourself) of a person and that person is turned into an evil flying head. You then proceed to shoot them down as they fly around the place that you're in. This game is NOT to be played in a place with limited room, such as in the passenger seat of a vehicle. You will need to turn 360 degrees playing this.
  • The AR card game is also a fun 3D game played with physical cards. You are given 6 cards with the system, such as Mario and the Mystery Boxes from the Mario series. The tutorial level uses the first card (mystery box) and you play an archery game. You press A to shoot the targets coming out from the card. The card needs to be on a flat surface to play and you need to be able to move around the card while keeping the cameras pointed at it.
  • Also installed are a Mii creator and an Activity Log. The Mii creator is similar to the Wii but with the new function to take a picture of you and turn it into a Mii. The Activity Log tells you about how much you've played the 3DS and how many steps you've taken while walking around with it.

Overall, I'd give this a 5/5.

Graphics/Sound: This is where I'd have to say that the 3DS lacks. The graphics for the 3D games installed are great, but if you are looking to play a non-3D title, the graphics could be better. I tested out playing Pokemon White on the 3DS and I can honestly say that I prefer to play it on my DSiXL. The sound isn't that great either. Actually, the sound quality is good, but it isn't loud enough in my opinion. You'll have no problem if you are playing alone in a fairly quiet room or if you are wearing earphones, but otherwise the max volume isn't that loud. This area gets a 3/5 for low volume and unequal graphics on non-3D games. This is compared to the ***DSiXL, the graphics are a little bit better than a DS Lite on regular DS titles.

Is it 3D: A lot of people have actually been questioning the concept of the 3DS. 3D without glasses? Turn 3D on and off? Yes. Surprisingly, the 3D is AMAZING. While messing around with the 3D camera, I moved my hand on the other side of the screen and I felt as if my hand was passing through the screen. All of the 3D looks amazing graphically and isn't that bad. Your eyes take a second to adjust, so I wouldn't suggest looking back and forth from the screen a lot. The constant adjusting might make you feel weird. Although the great part is that if you don't like the 3D you can turn it down/off. I've only played with the 3D off and all the way on, so I'm not sure if your eyes have to adjust at all to the low levels of 3D. I can't wait to play the 3D on an actual title. 5/5 for amazing 3D.

Available Titles: I don't have any 3D titles in my hands right now, but I will soon. The 3DS has the extensive library available of regular DS games and there are already titles in the making/already released. I also saw on Gamestop's website how they are making Nintendo 64 games for 3DS, including The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time (YES!) and Starfox 64 (DO A BARREL ROLL!). With great titles to come and a few already out, I'd give this area a 4/5, just because some of these games that aren't out yet probably could have been released closer to the release of the 3DS.

Overall, I give the 3DS a 4.5/5. I highly recommend it. I'll also answer any questions that anyone has about it. :)

So what do YOU think about it?

I just posted a request on Facebook to see if anybody got one...I want to watch them play it!! :P Personally, unless I feel that I will be able to use the 3d to its best advantage, I will probably not buy one due to the fact that I cannot see movie-theatre 3D. If I can see the 3DS' 3d, then I will probably buy one in the future. Your review is quite heartening though. I was expecting the design to be somewhat clunky, but it seems to be otherwise :D

Just took a look at Black on it, and while it is a bit blurry, I find that the blur adds to it's graphics. Maybe I'm just sensitive from my spriting days, but the blur reduces that odd pixelation you get on the overworld sprites from a distance and the fact that your Pokemon's backsprites are literally 4x their orig size during battle is much less obvious.

Watching them play won't cut it, this is literally a single player 3D experience. Pry it out of their hands for a moment and try it, and fiddle with the depth slider. It's not hard to find the right place.

If I remember correctly, Pokemon BW have special features on it... GameFreak had a copy of the 3DS during the production... Lol! I would love getting one! How much did it cost again? What I'm excited about other than BW is Kingdom Hearts 3D (Dream Drop Distance)... Woot woot!

To be honest I'm not completely interested in the 3DS ... like I have the first ever like retro DS, and I have the first DS lite, but I think the 3D aspect of it is a little too much personally :)

I'm actually so excited, but I really doubt I'm going to get one. Too much and no time to play (or at least I shouldn't be making time to play >.> I would if I could haha) Its so crazy to think that Nintendo finally made a 3D system especially considering they've been trying since the Gamecube :O

I got to play Super Street Fighter IV on the 3DS at Gamestop. Even though I'm used to playing it on my PS3, I like it on the 3DS better.

I got to play Super Street Fighter IV on the 3DS at Gamestop. Even though I'm used to playing it on my PS3, I like it on the 3DS better.

I did this also! I like the 3DS... the 3D is nice, but it kinda hurts my eyes. But now that I've tried one, I kinda wanna get one <_<

At first I was skeptical about the 3DS, with it's 3D like features.

But I got one as a gift and I absolute love it. It shall accompany me and keep me entertained when I study overseas xD

Of course I got the Blue/Teal one <3

I did this also! I like the 3DS... the 3D is nice, but it kinda hurts my eyes. But now that I've tried one, I kinda wanna get one <_<

I didn't play it long enough for it to hurt my eyes. Street Fighter isn't my kind of game to begin with.

I can't wait until I save up the money for one! I'm most excited about the new Animal Crossing and Kingdom Hearts games I heard were coming out for the 3DS. I haven't played on one yet, but they look really cool. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one soon. :wub_anim:

My birthday is coming up so maybe I will take the plunge and get one since my current nintendo is my dinosaur of the Original DS. I can't do 3D in movies either because it gives me migraines but I really just think I would like a new system since its been a while since I got one.

My birthday is coming up so maybe I will take the plunge and get one since my current nintendo is my dinosaur of the Original DS. I can't do 3D in movies either because it gives me migraines but I really just think I would like a new system since its been a while since I got one.

You could always keep the 3D off :)

If you are just looking for a DS in general though, the Dsi is also a great system, plus it's probably on sale since the 3DS came out. Then again, you won't have access to the new 3DS titles...

Yeah, I tried one in the store briefly and was super thankful that the 3d had a slider option. While getting a DSi might be nice, I think if I get a new system I will probably get the 3DS for the new game capabilities. None of the new games really sparked my interest too much yet but undoubtedly there will eventually be games that I will really like and want to play.

• 1 month later...

5 words:

The. Best. Gaming. System. Ever.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie).

The original topic had been answered.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.