If neopets was pay to play...

brandongamer

Let's say Neopets decided it didn't want to be free anymore - would you still play? Or would you quit? Let's just say in order to play, you'd have to pay $5 to $20 for a user account - would you refuse to play and go to another web game, or what would you do?

I know Neopets will probably never do this, but its still nice to talk about it.

I'd consider it under the following conditions:

- you pay once and play forever

- price is reasonable

- less adverts (really I've had it with watching the same spongebob ad every day and I'm not paying to see ads)

Surely if they went to a cost model, why would they still have advertisements? Do you really think they would? I'm sure sponsored games would remain though, so that would keep neopets profitable as well.

I'd consider it under the following conditions:

- you pay once and play forever

- price is reasonable

- less adverts (really I've had it with watching the same spongebob ad every day and I'm not paying to see ads)

i agree with this, hoping it wouldn't be like nc, cause i can't buy nc in my country

If it was pay to play... I'm not really sure what I would do. It depends what the terms were I suppose! As suggested above, if it was pay once and play forever, I probably would, but since you CAN pay to play neopets (premium/NC) and I haven't done that, I would definitely need some major benefit to be convinced..

Is there a rumour about this or something? Or was it merely hypothetical?

I remember on april fools day years and years ago, they joked that it would cost 5NP per page you visited. That freaked me out. Sorry, I know your talking real money, but that just made me think of that for some reason.

I'm already paying to play (premium member) and so yes, as long as it was reasonable, I would pay. Premium is a fair price, and I like the super shop wizard and lack of ads, so if you really like something, which I clearly do for being on here 10 years, then I think it's worth it.

If they ever went pay-to-play, they would have to implement a system sort of like Webkinz. You pay for the pet and some things with real money which you then enter the code for and get in the game as well, and some things are in-game and are paid for with game money. I think That would be the only way they could charge ALL players to play the game.

Just for the fact that there's such a range of ages that play, from very young children to great-grandparents, I don't think they would be able to charge for it in the way other online games do, by number of log-ins, minutes played or anything else.

Though, having people pay for their pets (which you could then choose to alter with paintbrushes, the Lab, etc) would cut down on the thousands of pets that get pounded and neglected by their owners (as well as cut down on the number of names being taken up, as people would likely be inclined to have less), but having to pay real money to pay would likely also increase the number of hackers, as real money, not just game money is on the line.

Overall, I can't see neopets ever going pay-to-play. With on site advertisements, premium members and all their real-life merchandise, I think they probably do just fine.

I think those with older accounts, i.e. accounts they've actually put a lot of time and effort into, will certainly be more tempted to keep on playing. It'd be a bit ridiculous of them to suddenly get ultra greedy and demand people pay to access their account though, considering they're already making money off of things like NC and ads, which are pretty much all over the site these days.

If they went p2p, I think I'd much rather go play an actual game, as opposed to pay for access to a website.

Unless it was like 1$ per month. :laughingsmiley:

It really would depend on the price for me. I already pay money every now and then on NC items that I absolutly love but the thing is I get bored really easily. So I can play for 2 months then not play for 2 months and come back again to play for a month and so on and so on. So I honestly can't say if I would pay to play or not. Like I said it would mostly depend on the price.

I would. I definitely would. (Unless it was an insane amount. But then again, Neopets is far more kids oriented than it used to be, so it'd be hard for them to charge much for it.)

But I love Neopets. I've been playing for nearly 9 years now. I've been playing daily, and 10-12 hours a day, half the week, for 2 years now. It's a huge part of my fun, relaxing, and just general enjoyment. It'd be worth the money to me.

I don't think I would pay as I get annoyed with the NC idea even. I have been playing neopets for almost 8 years and when I first joined I felt it was a more even site for everyone as there was not the ones who could and those that could not afford to pay or buy. The way to gain assets and stockpile nps was the same for all...playing games and earning them...younger players were not restricted by lack of finances of their own also.

I wouldn't pay, simply because I wouldn't be able to afford it. I have virtually (and actually) no money as it is, so sadly Neopets would have to be put aside for other priorities.

I wouldn't pay. As someone else mentioned, they would have to be far more customer oriented for me to even consider it. Why would I spend real money when they could freeze my account for any number of silly reasons? (I've heard too many stories where people are frozen and then customer service won't even listen to what went on.) They're already shoving the NC Mall in everyone's faces and I can only hope that they don't get any more greedy than that.