"Special" stamps re-released!

nikh

From the Neopets news:

We have some good news and some bad news, everyone! The good news is, we're finally going to be slowly releasing some old r101 stamps back into the economy. The bad news is, our shipment of stamps was lost in transit. Oh, it looks like Dr. Sloth has found an old crate of stamps though! What an odd coincidence. It seems he'll be auctioning a stamp off once a month in order to fund his plans for his 'Grundo Reeducation Center'! Isn't that nice of Sloth to educate Grundos? And here we thought he was entirely evil. Way to go, Dr. Sloth!

Dr. Sloth's brain washable neopets account: http://www.neopets.com/userlookup.phtml?user=dr_sloth

His first auction: Commander Garoo Stamp

Auction link: http://www.neopets.com/auctions.phtml?type=bids&auction_id=164181255

I'm rather irked by this method that TNT used to release retired stamps. It's just one more thing done to reward the insanely rich Neopians, and it won't make these stamps any more available to the Neopian masses than they already are. They are already auctioning really high, which I don't have a problem with, but they are all going to get bought by the most elite restockers to be resold for a big profit.

I would have been happier with TNT releasing the stamps in a shop, with constant stock, that has really high prices, like the Hidden Tower. Then everyone could have equal access, without having to get ridiculously lucky in auctions. You could see your goal and save up for it. This current method really only benefits a few people.

I'm totally with you Masaryk. And from the sounds of it (one stamp put up for auction per month), it'll be a long time of this before we can hope to see these stamps restocking (if ever). Hopefully they will start restocking in shops (or the AAA) once Sloth has auctioned them for a few months. Releasing them in a constant shop like HT would be nice, but I doubt they will do that, since then they won't be able to limit the number of stamps released.

I agree with masaryk. The shop is good enough! These auctions would be mostly auctioned by a restocker and sold thus dissapearing the stamp to the near Neopian orbit...

However atleast they could put these stamps for over 20 million atleast in the Hidden tower...

I didn't post this yesterday, simply out of protest. It's ridiculous IMO.

Releasing one stamp a month isn't going to deflate anything especially when it already caters to rich neopians who will either a) resell or b ) stick it in their SDB or c) put it in their album.

It's a weak attempt at a neopoint sink and excludes SO many players that it should just be ignored.

/bitter

But really, they should have at least added them to the AAA or, like mentioned, the shops OR random events.

Dumb.

Releasing them in a constant shop like HT would be nice, but I doubt they will do that, since then they won't be able to limit the number of stamps released.

The number released would be limited by price. They could make them very expensive, so that most Neopians would have to save up for a long time to buy them. It's the same reason there aren't millions of Swords of Skardsen floating around out there. Restockers wouldn't buy them up, since they don't have resale value, so people would only buy the stamps they want for their personal collections. And once they go into the stamp album, they are there forever.

If TNT wanted to limit it a bit further, they could release an unlimited quantity of each stamp for a limited time, then release them all again later, maybe something like "Stamp of the Month."

This would really better keep with TNT's plan to create Neopoint sinks, and it would be a whole lot better than Save the Wheels.

From the Neopian times...

First of all, *throws a stamp at you* thank you for releasing the stamps (slowly but surely) and trying to make them more available. I feel like it won't make a big difference, however, because the richer Neopians will always win the auctions. They will then either a.) use the stamps themselves and therefore they'll be gone forever, or b.) sell them for their own price, which would be around the same price to ensure them a profit. So, as much as I appreciate you guys trying to do something, do you really think this will help at all? ~xmidnightdreamzx

The issue with the old r101 stamps that were given away through competitions like Lenny Conondrum and Better Than You is that, since stamps are placed in albums and basically consumed, they are nearly extinct in the economy. Players can save up for them for years and still never see one for sale at all. We understand that stamp avatars are among the most difficult ones to acquire, and we salute those who have managed to get them as they are certainly not cheap or easy acquire, and one cannot borrow them for an avatar, either. It was with that in mind that we decided to have them auctioned off. If we gave them away through the Lenny Conundrum contest again, that would be like rewarding players with countless millions for answering a single math question. While part of the game is occasionally getting that lucky item worth millions that tumbles into your lap, we'd rather not just give them out like that. It would also devalue the stamp for those who have spent tens or hundreds of millions to purchase them already. This way, it's an effective Neopoint sink (which, remember, will make your Neopoints worth more when there's less NP in the economy) and it does not devalue the stamps, but still puts them into the economy. We've thought about the best way to do this for a very, very long time, and we feel confident that this is the best solution. Also, we're keeping a close eye on the auction. If we find that the player who wins the stamp is a cheater, their account will then be frozen and we'll auction the stamp again, since our intention is to get the stamp into the economy or, preferably, the album of a stamp / avatar collector. :)

In spite of TNT's best wish that the stamps end up in the albums of avatar collectors, the auctions are only going to result in the stamps ending up in the hands of master restockers, who will have the luxury of setting the price for an insanely rare item that very few Neopians can ever hope to afford. If avatar collectors could afford them, they would be the ones winning the auctions, but I doubt that will be the case.

:grrr: What were they thinking hmmmmmmmmmmmm guess they weren't. Totally agree with the rest of the posts, as I for one can't even get the chocolate avatar (master restocker? try impossible restocker for me).

Disappointed

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about NP sinks. It may reduce the NP of a few VERY rich Neopians but it doesn't reduce the resale value of anything thus helping the rest of us. Their NPs were just sitting in the bank anyway earning more NP. How do you think they got rich in the first place? Inflated prices. I do however like the "Stamp of the Month" idea - not that I'd ever be able to restock any of them.

• 1 month later...

There's no way I'd be able to afford to buy one these stamps. This is going to benefit barely anyone.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics over 21 days old.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.