What makes you continue to play Neopets?

brandongamer

I know Neopets is a pretty good game - and some people have quit and moved on, but what makes you continue to play Neopets? Is it the games? The plots, or?

I don't know about other people, but for me it's the collecting aspect. I don't have a lot of space where I live right now, so I can't collect things like baseball cards or action figures or whatever. Plus my wife won't let me. But Neopets lets me collect. Plus I like training my pet and I love playing keyquest.

Hope that answers your question!

I've been playing off and on for over 8.5 years, but I always come back.

My main reasons are:

* The activities, like games, plots, site events

* Collecting, not just items, but things like site themes, avatars, trophies

* I think the general pet idea is awesome, but it's not heavily involved like some pet sites where you have to play with them, feed them, bathe them, give them medication, etc

* It's completely web based. I can play it anywhere.

* I'm at work for 12 hours, and I have a lot of down-time. Neopets gives me something to do for that time, and I rarely get bored. (Which means I can reach my goals easier.)

I like the collecting. I had TONS of stuff from over the years. I kept at least one of everything I ever came across since I started my account. I finally broke down and sold the majority of it though a few months ago ^^

The events such as the AAA and Abigal Games Master Challange is also a plus as well as the Plots too I guess, I just don't like the Battledome parts ;P I'm not very good at it.

I suppose getting wearables for my pets also keeps me coming back ^^ I finally got my xweetok white and now I'm trying to get winter stuff for him to wear. And darker things for my Stripped Koi, Purple Lupe, and Ghost Gelert.

Also I have a fondness for the Ice Cream Machine Game ^^ a few others too but yeah.

I like the collecting. I had TONS of stuff from over the years. I kept at least one of everything I ever came across since I started my account. I finally broke down and sold the majority of it though a few months ago ^^

What are some of your favorite things to collect?

I've been playing Neo on and off for almost 10 years now, nearly half my life. Yeah, i get bored and do other things, but I always come back to Neo. There's just so much to do on the site, and it allows for so many creative outlets, in my opinion. Because the art is more simplistic/cartoony than that of other pet sites, I feel like it gives me more breathing room as an artist and writer when I imagine my pets.

Plus I've bought $60 worth of NC now, and I don't feel like making that all go to waste. :laughingsmiley:

There's also something about Neo's history that's just really fun. Having been with the site since Y3, it's nostalgic to see how much things have changed, and be like oh, remember when...? I don't use my oldest account any more, but man, it's pretty exciting to look at it every so often and be like whoah, this was me 9 and a half years ago.

Kinda like picking up an old Pokemon game. :D

I've been playing Neo on and off for almost 10 years now, nearly half my life. Yeah, i get bored and do other things, but I always come back to Neo. There's just so much to do on the site, and it allows for so many creative outlets, in my opinion. Because the art is more simplistic/cartoony than that of other pet sites, I feel like it gives me more breathing room as an artist and writer when I imagine my pets.

Were you there when it started growing fast, or? Do you remember how so many people heard about neo?

If I only knew... people might stop making fun of my lifetime addiction.

The games - like Destruct-o-Match - are soothing and fun to play when I am bored (and more constructive than Solitaire). The new additions to the site and plots keep me interested. And of course goals I set for myself (I am a very determined person, so once I have set a goal I need to reach it as well).

Neopets has been one of the only stable features in my life for the past 11 years and it feels like a connection to my past as well.

I think it's the collecting that keeps me into it. And it's fun to do when you have some time to fill (neoquest anyone?). I think I noticed it getting really well known after they starting selling the offline merchandise in 2001-2002 and then it blew up after being purchased by Viacom in 2005.

Were you there when it started growing fast, or? Do you remember how so many people heard about neo?

I found out about it back in 2001 when some friends in my 4th grade class would always hog the computer during break times to "play some games," which turned out to be Meerca Chase and Cheat! It wasn't till many years later that I started seeing commercials on TV for Neopets merchandise, and I started to realize that the site that we used to just use to "play some games" was really much bigger xD

I can still remember the Neopets 2nd Birthday so thats a very long time back :O.

I've played it on and off over the years but I've always come back to it - although I really feel like I'm too old for it now! But every now and again I feel the temptation to check my account and I end up playing again, usually for a few months at a time. I don't know why - boredom, I suspect! I don't have that much to do as I'm a student with few hours.

The big shame though is that I can't remember the password to my 1st account anymore - or the e-mail it was last registered with.

For me it's a distraction from everyday life. Neopets is so simple, you play games, get NP, take care of your pets (who can never die), and get free stuff. I also like setting goals and the feeling you get from achieving them. Like when I got 200 avatars :D. And now that I've done a plot, I'd say that would definitely keep me playing! It was awesome :D!

For me, I like the collecting and customization aspects. I also like how there are so many different things to do and achieve. I mean if it were ONLY games, I'd have probably lost interest. I like the games, but games alone, would be a 'pass the time' thing, not something I'm really interested in. I like working toward avatars, or earning up money to buy something for my pet to wear or a collection. When I play a game, it's more than to pass the time, it's to work toward something. That sort of thing.

I also agree with this:

There's also something about Neo's history that's just really fun. Having been with the site since Y3, it's nostalgic to see how much things have changed, and be like oh, remember when...? I don't use my oldest account any more, but man, it's pretty exciting to look at it every so often and be like whoah, this was me 9 and a half years ago.

I've been off and on neo since 2000 (sadly my original account is long since gone) and it's interesting to see how so much has changed. I don't think I've been involved in any other website for so long or experienced so much change in a website I've followed. So the nostalgia factor is defiantly a reason I keep coming back.

I found out about it back in 2001 when some friends in my 4th grade class would always hog the computer during break times to "play some games," which turned out to be Meerca Chase and Cheat! It wasn't till many years later that I started seeing commercials on TV for Neopets merchandise, and I started to realize that the site that we used to just use to "play some games" was really much bigger xD

Ya, I remember that as well. Especially the neopets plushies.

Meerca Chase used to be so easy too.

Mainly because it is the most fun and least addictive (sort of :P) game I can enjoy when I have to study at the same time... -w- Working hard to achieve goals keeps me here too. And my dear little friends (pets). :D It's also great to try out every bits of neopets~

Because I couldn't be staff if I didn't. :D

And it's a nice distraction. No pressing responsibilities, fun games, enjoyable activities (sometimes)... it's just overall a good escape from the stresses of life.

i've invested so much time and energy into it, that i feel i can't let all of it waste. like many others on this board, i also play to collect and to improve my pet's stats, to win trophies and all that stuff. it took me quite a long time to accumulate everything i have, and the more i play, the more i feel i have invested in it. Neopets plays a lot on our capitalist psychology: accumulation.

I because from the first time i enter i was hooked on neopets is great distraction and I like it because it is different from other pages of pets, also because I like to get as many avatars as trophies, just because it reminds me of the Tamagotchi, as I loved this stuff.

and still continue for several years while I have time and internet.

Greetings.