Stock Market Question

rugrat0ne

Okay, so I'm fairly new to the stock market. I've been buying 1000 shares at 15 nps a piece every day, but lately I've been running into the problem of all the shares at 15 being ones I already own. Should I buy a second lot of these shares, buy something higher priced, or just skip that day?

Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you!

This is what my husband does: if one of the 15 stocks is one he has, he buys another set. If there isn't one he already has, then he'll buy whatever is at 15. But that way, when one of his stocks goes high, he has multiples of that stock. Like last week, he had one stock up over 150%, which he had 3 day's worth of shares in, and one over 300% that he had 2 day's worth in. So he made a lot more this way.

It's not a bad idea to buy multiple sets of a stock at the same price - as Spritzie said, you can make double/triple/etc. when the stock goes up.

NEVER buy a stock over 15 NP a share! If you buy a stock at 16 NP a share and it goes up to 40 NP a share and you decide to sell, you would have one less NP than if you had purchased the stock at 15 NP a share. But if you own 10,000 shares of the stock, you would have missed out on 10,000 NP! And while it may not seem like a lot, every bit counts!

I have to agree with the above - never, ever buy stocks that are over 15np.

It doesn't really matter if you duplicate stocks either - you can use a multi-sell strategy then. I have 30 of one stock for example I will sell 15 when it doubles and another 15 if it tripples and so on. It has worked very well for me in the past.

I totally agree with not buying anything over 15 NP a piece. If the lowest price on the market is 16 NP, then consider it (keep reading).

I always use Neodaq's Report Card to help make my decisions. If there aren't any 15 NP stocks, but a few 16 NP stocks, see what those 16NP stocks' grades are on that link. If you have a bunch rated C or something low, and one that's rated A+, it's probably worth a shot because you'll still make a profit (just slightly less than if you had bought it at 15).

Whenever I decide to buy 1000 shares from the stock market (rare nowadays), I always check that report card. Always. I never buy anything rated lower than an A. If you have 1000 or so stocks of something rated A or A+, then go ahead and buy some more. It's the stocks with lower grades that you do not want to buy.

definitely listen to what these guys are telling you! valuable advice. But do try to diversify your stocks. Never hurts to have as many different TYPES of stocks as possible because while you may only have one stock and it never gets above 20, you may buy a lot and find a few that zip straight back up to 40

definitely listen to what these guys are telling you! valuable advice. But do try to diversify your stocks. Never hurts to have as many different TYPES of stocks as possible because while you may only have one stock and it never gets above 20, you may buy a lot and find a few that zip straight back up to 40

That advice is nearly opposite of what we have often said here. The link I shared (to Neodaq's Report Card) shows what stocks you are going to want to buy multiple "units" of. Diversifying your stocks is NOT always a good thing. The Neodaq Report Card is a very very important tool and I suggest anyone who is starting (or even a stock market veteran) use. As a matter of fact, it shows which ones will go back up to 40+ quickest. Using the report card is FAR less risky than randomly selecting stocks to purchase.

for the avatar, dont you need to have 1 mil in stocks at the same time? if so, then diversifying is a good thing, because if one day you were unable to get anything BUT what they deemed as poor stocks, you wouldnt be able to buy or you would have to buy higher. and the stocks (especially with fake money) is just a waiting game ANYWAYS, you might as well get them all. What if one of the "poor" stocks became one of the best but didnt come down from really high for a LONG time?

Like yeah, theres the risk that it will never go over 20. but thats a risk im willing to take, because the neopoints i put in arent even what i really consider MINE. i earn them specifically for the use of putting in the stock market, or it is what comes out of the stock market. and I havent really lost more than ive made all.

Granted, im not a big player. I buy at most 400-500 stocks per day, 100 in each i find worthy, sometimes more if i feel im low on them.

Plus, its really all for the fun of it. Im also trying to get one hundred at least in every stock at the same time. Probably not an achievable goal, but hey! : ) its a personal fun goal ive set for myself

for the avatar, dont you need to have 1 mil in stocks at the same time?

That's correct. You need to have 1 million neopoints of more worth of stock - though how you arrange them is of no consequence to the avatar.

I buy on daily base 1000 at 15np (or higher if there are no stocks at 15np). I sell not that often, only when the stock is around +1000%. It needs a high investment (currently >5M), but the profit is also high. I hope HUW will go up to 1000%, i've 30,000 of it... :laughingsmiley:

What I don't know; is it still possible stocks getting bankrupt? I think it didn't happen after 2004?

No company has gone bankrupt for a long while, but it could still happen in theory. :yes:

I should add that the 'only buy at 15 NP' rule isn't necessarily something you should always adhere to. It's a good rule if you don't have many shares at the moment, but once you have a large portfolio and are going for long term investments, it's better to widen your buy range up to around 17 NP, to allow yourself to diversify more quickly. The loss in profit margin when you sell is usually offset by the increased sell rate you can achieve. On the flipside, a wider buy range actually allows you to avoid over-diversifying, since you can easily rack up a heavy investment in a specific company as well.

Unlike a lot of other people here, I generally don't buy more than 1,000 shares in a stock. If a stock is the only one at 15 and I already have 1000 shares of it, I don't buy it. I do that because I don't want to have a ton of NP tied up in the stock market, so I diversify to maximize my chances of one of my stocks going up high enough to sell.

However, I'm definitely going to start looking at that Neodaq report card now. I might change my strategy.