darkSpyro rant

CAV of Gang Green

Some people may not know what I'm talking about, and that's fine. Just look at my siggy, and click on the link below it. That is what I'm talking about. darkSpyro, a Spyro fan site. But that's not really the problem. I really enjoy being there. There's some awesome people. I'm working on a film with people there. No, the problem lies within the admin, dark52.

But CAV. Why talk about it here instead of talking to him in his face?

That's easy. Because he'll simply block you and he won't listen to what you have to say. It's even rumored that he bans people that discuss this. And I need to blow off some steam before I explode and you see chunks of CAV all over the walls.

dark52 created, moderates, and edits the entire site, and has done so for the entire 5 years that the site has existed. The site homes over 3k members. That doesn't sound too bad since TDN has 12k. But at TDN only about 30 people are actually active. In darkSpyro, just about every single one of those members are active, in one section of the site or another. So several things happen, good and bad. There are religious debates left and right. And there are trolls that spam the heck out of the site. How many moderators are there? NONE. dark52 is the only person that has any sort of moderation over the site. He is the only one that posts the news, that updates the walkthroughs, that gives information about the games. ONE MAN has to do this on a DAILY basis, and frankly he can't do it anymore. Trolls are running amuck and he can't catch up to them all. Accounts are getting HACKED by trolls, including one member whom has been around for years. His account got hacked, and a troll has now taken over.

Look at this topic. It's very saddening on what is happening, and one person has completely lost everything because of his parents and lies. But notice how the trolls completely deface the topic. One troll is using the hacked account, which has 2k+ gems. You'll be able to spot the trolls by their posts.

Those trolls have been around for almost an entire week. You know that normally the trolls would've been banned upon the first day of their arrival. But they haven't, and dark52 has been online. He was online just a couple of hours ago, and he has failed to do ANYTHING.

Just look here at his profile. I made 2 comments there about his need to hire mods and to ban the trolls. Go a couple of pages back, and you see some more comments regarding that matter.

He needs to hire mods, things will move a lot faster, and problems like these will be dealt with sooner. People constantly talk about how he needs to hire mods, and they mention it on his profile. And when people list users that would make good mods, Aura, Razzek, and my name constantly appear on the list, as seen here. This shows that I'm not the only that thinks mods are required, as several people do as well, and are even listing potential mods, even if Razzek isn't around anymore. :P

But dark52 doesn't pay mind to these, and he's been caught saying this:

Currently I can handle things myself.

This is a lie when it comes to how battered the site is getting with trolls, religious arguements, and hackings. And he blocks people that mention moderation, and there are rumors that he Gnorcs (suspends) and even Riptos (bans) users for mentioning it to him ONCE. He's corrupt, and there's nothing that can be done since he's the only one that has power.

I love being there, but dark52 doing nothing is aggrivating, and then ignoring advice makes it worse. Add this to how difficult it is for me to sign into TDN, and what am I to do?

/rant

I read the entire thing.

Darkspyro52 is the creator and he hired no mods. And he hasnt done anything about the troll problem.

Plus someone with 2k gems lost their account.

So there.

OBJECTION!

dark52, not Darkspyro52. You're retelling is flawed. :P

You also forgot how people were noting mods. One comment I gotta say is simple: Aura can be too dictating, and she can make Anime look like a pushover (:P), Razzek has left the fanbase BECAUSE of said trolls and LoS fanbrats, and I'm frankly surprised that anyone would think that I would be suitable, let alone almost everyone.

Just a few seconds ago.

Aura has her moments of being pretty cool. But she also has her moments in which she acts like a dictator. And some people hate that. I take a neutral standpoint, so nobody can claim that I'm siding with or against her. If I find a mistake, or a contradictory statement that she makes, then I'll call her out on it, just like how I would with anyone else. Like here:

offtopic.jpg

Note how she comments that we are off topic, and I give a valid explination on how we are on topic.

offtopic2.jpg

Someone agrees with my explination, and she accepts it. She then goes off topic by claiming on how she is a Gold Sparx (2k+ gems). She is congratulated.

offtopic3.jpg

Someone calls her out on it, and she takes it as a somewhat personal attack. Without taking a side, I call her out on it. MOMENTS LATER:

offtopic4.jpg

She knows that she got caught, but she completely shrugs it off. Basically, it's ok for her to call us out on being off topic, but the moment someone else does it, it's the wrong thing to do. If you can explain HOW that makes sense, feel free to put me in my place.

Yeah. From what I read dark52 is the creator of the site and can really do whatever he wants so it doesn't look like you can do anything in that direction I'm afraid :(

But does that stop you from making your own website? If it's really bothering you I would take my friends and move to a different website or just make your own. Eventually dark52 might realize there's a problem when he starts losing a lot of active members and with some luck he'll start re-thinking things

dark52 created the website. And he should think about it.

Well, here's the thing:

1. I don't have the money nor the time to do all of the work of creating a website.

2. Everyone is already placed there and they have no intentions on moving (me included)

3. He still won't think about putting mods, and odds are he would ban me accusing me of betrayal or something like that.

Then you are pretty much just going to have to deal with it, aren't you?

Let's take it from dark's point of view. He has a website that is very active. Some people complain, but nothing is significant enough to change his webtraffic. Not enough for him to to put more effort in this.

If you want change you have to take action. Gathering many with you to boycott the site would force his hand. Or hacking him, but that's rather... illegal. Otherwise, guess all you have left to do is grin and bear it.

But CAV. Why talk about it here instead of talking to him in his face?

JK. :P

But, like Yozora said. Just boycott it with some of your friends. That's what I'd do. Or, you could just leave it all together. Or even make another account there, different email, and ask him about mods on that account.

Been there.

Won't say the website but a bunch of good "internet" friends were on a certain message board for years. We has some sort of fame - people would come up to us in public and such but the forum was ran so terribly. Trolls were running rampant, we were getting treated horribly and more.

So our group of about 100 regulars created our own forum . The other forum dropped in activity but remained troll infested.

Of course they couldn't change their policies, due to their type of website, but we were tired of the mistreatment and made our own hangout.

In the end, its his investment and he can run it however he chooses. If you don't like it or are uncomfortable, either don't post there, or make your own. :)

Let's take it from dark's point of view. He has a website that is very active. Some people complain, but nothing is significant enough to change his webtraffic. Not enough for him to to put more effort in this.

If you want change you have to take action. Gathering many with you to boycott the site would force his hand. Or hacking him, but that's rather... illegal. Otherwise, guess all you have left to do is grin and bear it.

dark's postition. Hire mods. It's that simple. Get some applications, pick out the best ones, give them the position. DONE. But he won't do that.

And every topic someone makes regarding mods ends up getting locked, by him, which means he's very aware of this, and doesn't want to hire mods. And we can't grin about it when things like THIS is happening.

This is the closest we got to making a boycott, and the trolls are killing it, and the only reason why it still stands is because it was made while he was offline.

But, like Yozora said. Just boycott it with some of your friends. That's what I'd do. Or, you could just leave it all together. Or even make another account there, different email, and ask him about mods on that account.

He can read IPs. Remember that. He bans the IP, I'm gone altogether.

In the end, its his investment and he can run it however he chooses. If you don't like it or are uncomfortable, either don't post there, or make your own. :)

Alright, its his investment. And if he wants to run the site to the ground because he's being stubborn, then let him kill the site. In the end he'll realize who he did wrong, and how he killed a site after almost 6 years.

Mkay, read this post again:

1. I don't have the money nor the time to do all of the work of creating a website.

2. Everyone is already placed there and they have no intentions on moving (me included)

3. He still won't think about putting mods, and odds are he would ban me accusing me of betrayal or something like that.

And I have friends there. Friends that haven't placed a sticker on me and automatically expect some sort of behavior out of me, unlike a certain site. This is a site where I managed to say something that I never thought I would say on a site. And I can barely sign on here without pain. Leaving there as well would leave me with nothing. And I'm working on a film there with people. Leaving there would also damage production.

I can't leave there. It's impossible. It's hard to let go of TDN, and this was my substitution, and the only place I have left with people that actually care. I can't walk away from that.

You don't need money to have a create a website. There are many outlets that will help you. We used NING as well as Proboards -both are free. Gave us everything we needed and much more.

Anyway, the choice is yours, just like it is his.

Good luck with coming to some sort of compromise.

You don't need money to have a create a website. There are many outlets that will help you. We used NING as well as Proboards -both are free. Gave us everything we needed and much more.

Anyway, the choice is yours, just like it is his.

Those free boards are rather....lackluster, to say the least.

The choice is his, but us members have the right to criticize him.

Just think about if Ian never hired any staff, any mods, any news crew, or such. That he ran everything himself. Eventually, everything would fall apart. That is happening right now. You can't really side with him when he has no excuse.

You've said your piece, as has he. Not much more you can do other than ride the wave like the rest of em.

For the record, he never really say his piece. He just says nothing, and locks your topic.

Well the wave is gonna become a tsunami. :laughingsmiley:

After reading it, I understand where you are coming from, the site is full of trolls and need some more mods etc.

But I agree with others here, Its his website and if his web traffic isn't affected, he won't worry. With all the problems, people are still going back to the forums every day. Im sure there are other spyro forums out there anyway.

It really sounds like this guy is on some sort of power trip. He is way too interested in it being "his" forum to have any real respect for his users. Face it; he doesn't care about anyone there or their opinions. Personally, I wouldn't want to put up with that crap. Dark52 is not interested in catering to his customers. Normally, in the business world, customers that don't like the service they get at a given business stop going. The forum is ugly to look at and overrun by trolls. It's like the worst of the Neoboards, but without moderation. But, as long as everyone keeps coming, nothing will change. Heck, even if everyone stops logging in, things probably still wouldn't change, since dark52 doesn't seem interested in pleasing his "customers."

I belonged to a forum like that once, where everyone would leave because it stopped being fun to go there, and the owner would not do anything to improve the atmosphere. Usually, he was the reason everyone would leave. Finally, it just died and never came back.

It sounds like darkSpyro will probably run itself into the ground sooner or later. It's inevitable that some troll will crack the site and destroy everything. If you aren't interested in starting your own site/forum, there's nothing wrong with becoming a member at some other Spyro site. There's no need to limit yourself to just one site. You can still be active on darkSpyro, while becoming a member at a different site. Then you'll at least be established somewhere else when darkSpyro finally collapses under dark52's ego.

*coughcough*Or, you could always spend more time at TDN.*coughcough*

It really sounds like this guy is on some sort of power trip. He is way too interested in it being "his" forum to have any real respect for his users. Face it; he doesn't care about anyone there or their opinions. Personally, I wouldn't want to put up with that crap. Dark52 is not interested in catering to his customers. Normally, in the business world, customers that don't like the service they get at a given business stop going. The forum is ugly to look at and overrun by trolls. It's like the worst of the Neoboards, but without moderation. But, as long as everyone keeps coming, nothing will change. Heck, even if everyone stops logging in, things probably still wouldn't change, since dark52 doesn't seem interested in pleasing his "customers."

It sounds like darkSpyro will probably run itself into the ground sooner or later. It's inevitable that some troll will crack the site and destroy everything. If you aren't interested in starting your own site/forum, there's nothing wrong with becoming a member at some other Spyro site. There's no need to limit yourself to just one site. You can still be active on darkSpyro, while becoming a member at a different site. Then you'll at least be established somewhere else when darkSpyro finally collapses under dark52's ego.

It's a great site, and it was amazing in it's prime (which was about 2-3 years ago). But the site has grown, and Dark needs to put aside his dang pride and save the site that he worked so hard to create.

And it ain't very easy to convince all of my friends to move over to another forum. If I could, I would. But it ain't easy.

Oh jesus....

It's a great site, and it was amazing in it's prime (which was about 2-3 years ago). But the site has grown, and Dark needs to put aside his pride and save the site that he worked so hard to create.

I'm sure it was a great site at one time. Unfortunately, pride is keeping it from continuing to be a good site. Anyone who gets that ban-happy over thoughtful, friendly suggestions really doesn't see the whole picture. This guy sounds like he's lost all his friends on this forum, but doesn't realize it because everyone keeps coming back every day.

And it ain't very easy to convince all of my friends to move over to another forum. If I could, I would. But it ain't easy.

You don't have to convince everyone to just up and move. You guys can be active on more than one forum at a time, even if they are about the same topic. It's really just a matter of saying to some of your friends, "Hey, I joined ForumX, and it's not too bad there. Wanna post with me a bit, then we'll go back to darkSpyro for a while, and see how people are doing there?"

Or, you could even use different forums for different purposes. I belong to one D&D forum that I use for storing character sheets and running play-by-post games, but I go to a different forum to discuss D&D rules.

I'm sure it was a great site at one time. Unfortunately, pride is keeping it from continuing to be a good site. Anyone who gets that ban-happy over thoughtful, friendly suggestions really doesn't see the whole picture. This guy sounds like he's lost all his friends on this forum, but doesn't realize it because everyone keeps coming back every day.

I don't think he's lost ALL of his friends.

And remember, his bannings are only rumors.

ignore the trolls, spend time with your friends on there

simple.

If there weren't so many, that would be possible.

If I may interject - it's possible that the administrator may be afraid of the difficulties of actually managing a team as well (a fear which wouldn't be entirely unfounded). Nevertheless, sooner or later he's either going to have to face reality, or risk the site collapsing. I guess there's not a whole lot you can do at the moment, besides taking down the alternate contact details of the friends you have there in case you ever need to jump ship. :yes:

I should also add: I sincerely doubt you've seen Anime in a bad mood. If you think you've seen Anime in a bad mood, you've probably seen her mildly irritated. Trust me, if there was someone on that forum who could make Anime seem like a pushover, mod powers or not, your troll infestation would be busy cowering on the other side of the Internet. ;)

Trust me, if there was someone on that forum who could make Anime seem like a pushover, mod powers or not, your troll infestation would be busy cowering on the other side of the Internet. ;)

That's the problem. Aura never goes to the part of the forum where the trolls are, which is Stuff and Nonsense. She always remains in certain parts.