A Quick Anime Poll

The Score in Blue

17 members have voted

1. 1. What version of anime is better?

• Subbed
    • Dubbed

Hey, I need help deciding whether to watch some anime in English or Japanese so I thought I'd do a quick poll.

Especially thoughts on:

Bleach

FMA

Eureka Seven

Ooo, that's a tough one for me. The subbed is probably better but sometimes when I want to watch cartoons, I just want to relax and listen and kind of half watch which I cannot do if they are not dubbed in English. So for me it would depend on your concentration level while watching.

Honestly? It depends on the quality of the dub. There are some dubs out there that are excellent, great VAs, great transations. And there are some that completely and utterly suck. Newer anime tend to have translations on par with the orig, but older ones you'll want to watch subbed to avoid the many bad puns and messed up storylines. If the dub's good it's just a matter of personal prefrence.

I tend to prefer the sub. I like having something to read on screen to keep my attention, otherwise i get distracted lol xD

I also dislike the sound of the english language when I'm expecting to hear Japanese. So there's that as well.

It also depends on the anime. Some have really quality dubs (Trigun) while others (Code Geass) have really derpy sounding dubs. It's all a matter of personal preference too :)

I don't like anime. But I do have an opinion on this.

Subbed is much better than dubbed, since the people that dub animes do a TERRIBLE job with it. Yu-Gi-Oh, Naruto, and Pokemon just to name a few. Subbed animes are still bad, but at least they are an improvement over dubs.

I agree, it depends. I almost always can't stand the English voices sadly and have to constantly rewind because I missed reading a word or something. The Japanese voices are just so beautiful sounding!

I would rather have beautiful sounding English so I don't have to read AND watch though :/

You know, I'm going with subbed anime for this one. I don't mind dubbed, but I like seeing the subtitles on the subbed versions myself (it makes it more easier for me to understand what everyone's saying). :)

It's really up to you. BUT I have a huge bias towards subs because I have watched some dubs where they failed to work up the proper emotion/feel for the scene, not to mention some characters came across as bratty/annoying when they weren't supposed to be.

Edit: Not sure whether you're talking about the original FMA or the remake, but if it's the original definitely watch sub.

I'll have to go with subbed, unless they are really hard to find for a particular series. I tend to find the voice actors for the original Japanese version much better than the dubs. (And Bleach falls into this category :P). I've not watched FMA or Eureka 7 in the dubbed versions so I can't really comment there.

And indeed, sometimes, they do mess up the feel of the scene thanks to incorrect translation or just plain bad voice acting :P.

Subbed!

The translations are better and you get use to it very fast.

The german Dubbed are so VERY bad you have no other choice to watch the english subbs ^^" They don't even say the names right >< I hate that <<"

Thats another reason to learn english faster than in school =P

Subs! Major example: Gurren Lagann sounds SO much more epic in Japanese XD (don't get me wrong. Gurren Lagann's dub is probably the best I've seen in a really long time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5DG3LzqfW4&feature=related (dub)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuQ3fg9knGo&feature=related (sub)

One's from the movie recap which is why it's the same words but different scenes.

Either way. Japanese seiyu are better trained than English voice actors. Did anyone notice that ALL the Japanese seiyu can sing? And it's not just their own singing voice. They can sing with their character's voice too! They have my respect for that XD

However, dubs are sometimes good too because if there's lots of action you'd rather focus on that than the little words scrolling past the bottom. And things like Pokemon I actually do prefer the dub since I've grown up with it.

I hate Bleach dub. They pronounce half the names wrong! "Grimmjow" becomes "Grimmjaw" D:

FMA dub is pretty good and Eureka 7 is OK too....

FMA is a Funimation dub, and Funimation is really good about high quality translations and keeping the emotion of a scene intact. I don't think there's been a Funimation dub that I had a major problem with (the series itself I might not have liked, but the dub was good quality).

All the Funimation dubs I don't have a problem with though. Opinions on the first season of Digimon in English?

I've watched Digimon in Chinese, Japanese and English like 50 million times (digimon geek here). They all have their strong points and weak points I guess.

My huge problem with the english Digimon is that they mess with the songs and the names and now that the 6th season is out they're gonna be screwed because they'll have two "Tai's" Also. The english Digimon song sucks...and they don't even have any theme songs. It's all the same song! >.<

I've watched Digimon in Chinese, Japanese and English like 50 million times (digimon geek here). They all have their strong points and weak points I guess.

My huge problem with the english Digimon is that they mess with the songs and the names and now that the 6th season is out they're gonna be screwed because they'll have two "Tai's" Also. The english Digimon song sucks...and they don't even have any theme songs. It's all the same song! >.<

I liked the 4th season and 5th season themes just because it was a change from the original English theme.

I've seen Digimon in all three languages as well. Japanese > Chinese > English as the Chinese version at least keeps the Japanese songs.

In general, some characters do sound better in English to me (ie. the Japanese voice sounds too young or something) but I rarely prefer the dubbed shows over subbed.

I love that everyone voted for subbed xD Thanks the economy and such, I had no choice but to watch subbed anime since future titles most likely won't be dubbed and there's a lot of great series out there only in Japanese! I just finished Itazura na KISS and I fell in love with the anime and don't mind reading subs at all!

When I was a kid though, even I'll admit a few dubbed anime were alright and some were just really bad...who remembers in pokemon that they called riceballs "doughnuts"? xD

Either way, a few anime titles I'll accept the dub but overall, subs is the way to go ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Srh6pyyFs

I love that everyone voted for subbed xD Thanks the economy and such, I had no choice but to watch subbed anime since future titles most likely won't be dubbed and there's a lot of great series out there only in Japanese! I just finished Itazura na KISS and I fell in love with the anime and don't mind reading subs at all!

When I was a kid though, even I'll admit a few dubbed anime were alright and some were just really bad...who remembers in pokemon that they called riceballs "doughnuts"? xD

Either way, a few anime titles I'll accept the dub but overall, subs is the way to go ^^

Oh! I remember that... it looked nothing like a doughnut.

Onigiri is the best!

wow. dubbed is doing terribly. personally i dont like reading subtitles. otherwise at first the mouth synchronizing is obnoxious but i dont notice it after a while. like for instance (totalllyyyy not anime but dead snow -very good movie, half way through you dont even notice that its not suppose to really be in english) and same for anime for me. ive watched enough that it doesnt bother me anymore