Neopets is giving me viruses

obxgirl

It is hugely highly unlikely that it is coming from an ad on neopets because those companies that they allow to advertise on their site are huge corporations and well able small time hackery of viruses but again it is technically possible its coming from someone's shops if you visited them again not very likely.

Edit: Oh! My dad got that on this computer. Don't really know how but the one he got seemed to be very delayed in showing up so you could have gotten that ages ago. You need to find out where its coming from on your computer and delete it there.

That doesn't mean it's from Neopets. You most likely got the spyware from another website you visited previously, and once it installs itself on your computer, it can pop up on any webpage you visit. I've seen/had that spyware before, and I'm 99% sure it's from another website.

Some viruses and spyware/malware have delayed responses. Very delayed. I downloaded a file years ago and then one day a few months ago BAM! Virus detected coming from that file.

So I highly doubt it's from neopets. Run an anti-virus then an anti-malware program. track it down. Then smoosh it. Or have a local computer shop do it. They can also sometimes find out where you got it.

Just to let everyone know, when using IE I had gotten SEVERAL viruses while using Neopets. When I was younger it was the only thing I was allowed to visit on the web, as well as the ONLY thing I used at the time. It happens :/ I ended up switching to an hp and using mozilla before i got my mac

Hmmmm, a similar thing happened to me while using my sister's computer. We just started it up (and it hadn't been used for about a year) and I was browsing TDN and neopets (no shops though). Once I opened up Carnival of Terror (to beat it for the GMC), a virus thing came up titled 'Antivirus Action'. It's difficult to remove and I still haven't found the time to remove it... :(

Did this happen to you? The 'Antivirus Action' basically runs a fake virus scanner while offering you options to buy from a list of virus removal programs - they are all just scams, however. Antivirus Action also does not allow you to open up any new processes, but it does take a minute or two after the computer starts up to activate, so you could be able to run the programs needed to remove it before it starts up and blocks all new processes and programs.

Putting the computer in safe mode and running spyware/virus removal will not remove the 'Antivirus Action' virus.

This is the guide I found to remove it, but I can't say it works or not since I haven't tried it out yet... so I'm not liable or responsible for any negative outcomes of using this guide. :whistle:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-action

I think I also got a virus several years ago from neopets.... hmmmm.... you would think that TNT/Nick/Viacom would check for viruses first though....

I currently use Mozilla Firefox with the NoScript and WOT (Web of Trust) add-ons. NoScript blocks Javascripts and such from running on webpages you visit - or at least until you allow them. TDN's guide against Cookie Grabbers and how to use NoScript: http://www.thedailyneopets.com/articles/cookie-grabbers/

WOT shows site ratings on search results and web pages you visit. If sites receive many poor ratings from visitors, WOT will block you from accessing the page - unless you decide to proceed.

DO NOT USE INTERNET EXPLORER IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE! I do love Microsoft stuff, but there are many, many, MANY security loopholes and weaknesses in Internet Explorer.... it's even worse if you have an older version of Internet Explorer (e.g. IE 6 or 7).

This should win some sort of 'Post of the Year' award or something like that. ;P

Run a scan with your anti-virus program. Maybe it could track the source.

DO NOT USE INTERNET EXPLORER IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE! I do love Microsoft stuff, but there are many, many, MANY security loopholes and weaknesses in Internet Explorer.... it's even worse if you have an older version of Internet Explorer (e.g. IE 6 or 7).

I must be lucky again. I use IE all my life, and I continue to use it now. Never had a virus or any such problem.