Request: "Like" button!

Cornflakes

So someone says something really funny, and I want to show my support but I can't scratch together seven words to reply to it with...why not have "Like" buttons? Like on Facebook!

Something you like, you hit "like"! Something you don't like, oh well, you don't hit like.

"Like" buttons would add a whole nother dimension of community interfacing and such :)

So someone says something really funny, and I want to show my support but I can't scratch together seven words to reply to it with...why not have "Like" buttons? Like on Facebook!

Something you like, you hit "like"! Something you don't like, oh well, you don't hit like.

"Like" buttons would add a whole nother dimension of community interfacing and such :)

I think that would be incredible! Although I don't like the way Facebook did it. Maybe like a "HAHA" button... that'd be cool.

This is a cute idea, only I dont think it should be implemented. What if you mean something to be funny and it doesnt get liked? Right now, it would just get smoothly passed over with no injuries done.

I don't like the idea much either, but for a different reason. People could abuse it and press "like" several times just because their friend made a post.

And there can't be a "like" button without a "dislike" button. And if you don't want a "dislike" button, the entire idea has to be scrapped.

I think they should just enable the little post scoring thing in the corner of the bottom right hand corner. I mean, if something is cool, I want to be able to add 1, and if I think a post is annoying and doesn't contribute at all to the conversation, I'll subtract one.

I think they should just enable the little post scoring thing in the corner of the bottom right hand corner. I mean, if something is cool, I want to be able to add 1, and if I think a post is annoying and doesn't contribute at all to the conversation, I'll subtract one.

I like this. It wouldnt be for hilarity, it would be more for content. That would make more sense. But I agree with CAV, people would abuse it and subtract one simply if they dislike the person.

Just to interject - at present our system for acknowledging funny posts is located here.

Additionally, the last time I checked the built in post scoring system was just plain broken, along with a few other forum components...

I have to agree with CAV.

Another forum I used to frequent implemented a post rating system about 1-2 years ago. The quality of forum posts declined rapidly after that. More people were focused on making "witty" posts than actually contributing anything useful to the topics they posted in. Other people like them would rate their posts up, which did nothing but feed their ego and basically give them the "ok" to post more frivolous garbage. This turned into a terrible cycle that got worse and worse as time went on. I remember at one point, multiple topics were locked because the whole front page would have nothing but joke replies. It was sad to see.

I don't want to sound like I'm questioning the intelligence of the people here.

but I'm really

really

against this idea.

Even Youtube is like that now. Instead of making an intelligent comment, people are too busy either making witty comments that aren't funny, something like "Justin Bieber sucks" when the video has nothing to do with Justin Bieber, or the worst of all:

"369 people don't know true music"

"26 people mistaked the dislike button for 'dis i like'"

"3591 people have down syndrome"

all in an attempt to get the highest rated comment.

This would happen here, as people would try to get highest rated post.

Well, to be frank... the proportion of dumb comments on YouTube has always been painfully high. It's even worse than news sites. :(

It would be cool to try out, if it doesn't work, then take it away. Seems simple.

Besides, it's no different than people rating their threads a 5/5.

On Mod The Sims, they have a Agree/Disagree/Funny/Love button system and it works awesomely but they're vB so.. haha

I like this idea.

Only, no dislike buttons. -nodnod-

I agree. Dislike buttons would be fail.

When I suggested that Like buttons were added, I wasn't trying to make it like a big deal. There would be no rewards for "likes," so there would be no need to like stuff your friends say just for liking them. It's not like you would get points for getting "liked."

Also, the "likes" could be anonymous. Done.

The "like" button would just be a silly fun thing, nothing more.

And with that "quotes" post that AA suggested, I never noticed it because I didn't know what it was and therefore had little interest. I'm sure that has happened with others too. I guess I'll post stuff that I like but it would be much easier just to have a like button. :)

The way the post rating system works on here is you'd get a certian number of rates per day based on your member group. The reason they don't work right now is because, when the forums were upgraded and the system was added, all member groups defaulted to 0 for rates, and Ian never set them to something else. I have no particular wish to activate them, due to the reasons mentioned above.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it's the + and - at the lower right of all posts.

The way the post rating system works on here is you'd get a certian number of rates per day based on your member group. The reason they don't work right now is because, when the forums were upgraded and the system was added, all member groups defaulted to 0 for rates, and Ian never set them to something else. I have no particular wish to activate them, due to the reasons mentioned above.

Hear, hear. I HATE the rating system. I was victim of some petty jealous newbie person who didn't like what I had to say and gave me a one-star rating for no good reason. That STILL irks me to this day, and that was months ago. I look at my 4-star rating and get mad.

Yep, can we just keep that disabled? Thanks :)

p.s. I never noticed the little red and green buttons there.

I dunno. I just think the rating thing would be cool because you could say "this is really good advice, listen to him/her" without posting and adding clutter and you could say "this is completely off topic and won't help you at all, ignore it and don't judge the rest of our forum by it" without backseat modding.

Hear, hear. I HATE the rating system. I was victim of some petty jealous newbie person who didn't like what I had to say and gave me a one-star rating for no good reason. That STILL irks me to this day, and that was months ago. I look at my 4-star rating and get mad.

The rating system is exactly like this like/dislike stuff. People could abuse it and give you a bad rating just because they don't like you.

I've also been a victim of this abuse. *pokes 3 stars of saddness*

Basically, anything that involves rating people or their content is a great idea, but unfortunately there are people that troll and abuse them and ruin the fun for everybody else.

Personally, I can't find a real reason to implement this idea. This is a public forum, not Facebook. We come on here to simply chat with friends or have intelligent debates. Or ask for help. What you're "rated" shouldn't really matter, whether it's the stars system on profiles or those broken reputation things underneath each post (how smart I must sound right now).

We're not really here to gain approval points so we can feel important, or try to bring someone down simply because we don't like them. I personally find the whole stars rating a bit counter-productive. A really decent person could have been rated one star by some troll, and along comes someone else who thinks that they're horrible because of their rating. I can't think of anyone who would openly admit to that sort of thinking, but it's the mindset that most of us have. Our opinions of people change based on their popularity or infamy ratings, and it really shouldn't be that way.

If you like what someone says, that's great! Make a reply telling them that and build off of what they said. If you don't like it, politely disagree and explain why, just like I did just now. If that reputation meter worked, I could have just hit the minus button and have been off on my way. No insight would be gained, no explanations would be given. You'd just have a little -1 next to your post.

If you want to know more about a person, talk with them! Get to know them a little better and figure out what kind of content they produce. Don't go by a little number that someone else produced. Numbers don't reveal a person's character.

But I digress, I've blathered long enough. Been writing essays all day.

Yeah, that's true, and I completely agree with you.

I just wanted a way to tell people to not post if what they say doesn't help to answer the question at all without being nailed for backseat modding.

Like I see a ton of posts nowadays which are like:

"Hey, does anybody know how to <insert legitimate question here>?"

"Not a clue, but hopefully someone else can come here and answer your question :)"

Either that or they don't contribute anything new.

"Is there a trade limit of Neopoints in the Trading Post?"

"Yes, it's 800k."

"Yes, the person above me is correct, it's 800k."

"Yup, 800k is the maximum number of Neopoints you can offer."

Not saying that those types of things happen all the time, just that I see them pretty often.

We're not really here to gain approval points so we can feel important, or try to bring someone down simply because we don't like them. I personally find the whole stars rating a bit counter-productive. A really decent person could have been rated one star by some troll, and along comes someone else who thinks that they're horrible because of their rating. I can't think of anyone who would openly admit to that sort of thinking, but it's the mindset that most of us have. Our opinions of people change based on their popularity or infamy ratings, and it really shouldn't be that way.

What I've been saying all along, now has been further validated by another member, therefore proving the point that people would only abuse anything that involves rating a member. It's a nice idea, but there are people that ruin the fun for everyone else, and then the mods have to step into something that could've easily been dodged in the first place.

Yeah, that's true, and I completely agree with you.

I just wanted a way to tell people to not post if what they say doesn't help to answer the question at all without being nailed for backseat modding.

Like I see a ton of posts nowadays which are like:

"Hey, does anybody know how to <insert legitimate question here>?"

"Not a clue, but hopefully someone else can come here and answer your question :)"

Either that or they don't contribute anything new.

"Is there a trade limit of Neopoints in the Trading Post?"

"Yes, it's 800k."

"Yes, the person above me is correct, it's 800k."

"Yup, 800k is the maximum number of Neopoints you can offer."

Not saying that those types of things happen all the time, just that I see them pretty often.

This is another thing I've been seeing rather often. New members either posting crap that does nothing to move the conversation, or answers something that has already happened. I'm sure everyone has done this in the past, I know I have. But this has increased ten-fold.

Another thing I've noticed is people creating topics or making worthless posts because they want to reach SM or FM. Someone would make a topic that doesn't really do much or have much of a purpose, and tries to get people to post in there so they can post in there themselves, so they can up their post count.

Upon seeing the FM hunt craze, I had to think to myself "What have I done?"

Since the original question has been answered and the conversation is getting off-topic, I'll be closing the board.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie).

The original topic had been answered.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.