The problem about Christmas

CAV of Gang Green

To answer that question, yes I am. Christmas is my favorite holiday, so understand that before you think that I hate Christmas. But there are some problems about it and I want to bring them to light.

Christmas is the biggest holiday of the year. It has it's own songs. It's own mascott (Santa). And it has a special meaning to it: To spend time with family and give each other gifts of appreciation.

However, now it seems that all Christmas is about is BUYING CRAP. Stores and dealerships do what they can to make money off of Christmas. This has gone on with Toyota, Target, Toysrus, Audi, Amazon, Macy's, JC Penny's, and the big juggernaut itself, Wallmart. These companies are NOTORIOUS for sucking the meaning of Christmas out of the holiday, and replace it with "GET THIS GIFT FOR YOUR CHILDREN! FORGET ABOUT SPENDING TIME WITH THEM, JUST BUY CRAP FOR THEM!!" And people have been suckered into doing this. The main purpose of Christmas is to spend time with family, and celebrate the birth of Jesus if you are a religious Christan or Catholic. But it's not about that anymore, now is it? It's about getting MONEY. And these places are willing to do it as soon as possible.

You are seeing advertisements for Christmas sales and that Christmas is on its way. Heck, the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular started around OCBOTBER 11TH, before freaking Halloween! But is anyone in the US hearing about Thanksgiving (US version)? No. We get a little peice on the news stating "It's gonna happen on Thanksgiving. And don't forget that SANTA CLAUS IS GOING TO BE THERE! OMG!" Even during the parade, on Thanksgiving day itself, people are too busy talking about Christmas, and the infamous Black Friday that occurs the day after Thanksgiving. It devours Halloween and Thanksgiving, to the point that they may as well not exist.

All in all, Christmas is a great holiday. But stores and dealerships have turned it into a business, and have sucked all the value out of Christmas by making it all about money. Thoughts?

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie).

The topic was posted in the wrong area.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been MOVED from ‘Your Life’ to ‘The Debate Chat’.

EDIT: Blargh. I didn't think this would fit as a debate. Just a rant.

This is going to sound shallow but it's the truth.

Christmas to me IS all about buying stuff.

Why? Because what is Christmas? Christmas is celebrating the birth of Christ. Who cares about Christ? I'd say about 1/5th of the world population. Me and my family? Well let's just say I'm not allowed to go to religious schools because I'll have to take religion o.0

So. If christmas WASN'T about buying stuff then what's it for? Nothing. And let's face it. Would you be happy if you got NOTHING for Christmas? Would you complain and be upset or would your be all happy and bubbly saying "well that's OK! I'm just happy Christ was born today!" I don't know about you guys but....o.0

And if you REALLY want to bring it down. Let's pretend Christ is some random dude across the street which essentially he is because well...do you KNOW Christ? o.0 Anyways. No one says "Oh. I'm happy I got nothing because it's that random dude's bithday! I'm going to celebrate it!".......o.0

Besides. This world revolves around money. This society is all about social standing and you have none of it if you live on the streets pan handling. You might not want to believe it because you think it makes you shallow but it's the truth. If you don't have money you don't have ANYTHING. You need money to get into school. You need money for food, shelter, transportation EVERYTHING and on Christmas it's just that much cheaper.....heck. you need money for INTERNET so you can play NEOPETS!

Besides. Your family? You LIVE with them o.0 We have the other 363 (I'm not including Boxing day) to spend time with them.

In conclusion. If Christmas wasn't about getting stuff, buying stuff, SALES and all that stuff then trust me. Almost NO ONE would be celebrating it >_>

Christmas isn't a very important holiday to me anymore. I've been liking it less lately, because it seems like most people have that "I have to buy something for everyone!" mentality. It is pointless. Why are you going to buy things for people you barely know? The gift isn't even coming from your heart. You're just getting them a present, because you feel like you have to buy them a present. That's not the point at all!

All in all, Christmas is a great holiday. But stores and dealerships have turned it into a business, and have sucked all the value out of Christmas by making it all about money. Thoughts?

Really, they've done that with EVERY holiday. I dare you to name one American holiday that doesn't involve buying crap. You're either buying it for someone else, or buying it to decorate your house, or buying it to get plastered off of it (like St. Patrick's Day), or buying it to have children search for it, etc etc. American holidays aren't solemn and sacred anymore. They're all about making you feel bad for not spending all of your money on crap.

Then it all goes back to the American mentality that material things equal happiness. So really, the stores and other merchants aren't creating this material lust, but merely taking advantage of it.

But Christmas...ohhhh man, that has been on my hit list for years now. But you say "I hate Christmas" and everyone gasps like you're a blasphemer, so I don't share my attitudes about it much. But since you asked...

To me, Christmas has become this bloated, corpulent, selfish, greed-filled, disgusting, pathetic celebration of materialism. Religion is not even a factor in Christmas anymore. (By the way, the December 25 date was a compromise between Pagans and Christians - Jesus was actually born sometime in October.) And I am a proud Christian, so this aspect bothers me greatly, but unfortunately, comes as no surprise.

I hate modern Christmas. It makes everyone miserable. If you're poor, Christmas is a miserable time because you can't afford to buy crap for people. If you're rich, you spend way too much trying to make the family happy, which they will be for usually, oh, five minutes, and then you're all miserable anyway, because it's no fun having everything you want.

For me, gift-giving is also a matter of conscience. I can't bring myself to buy my child a Wii that he doesn't need when people in Haiti are dropping dead from cholera, and Americans are eating Christmas dinner out of dumpsters. But do the rest of these lazy, spoiled Americans think of it that way? LOL, no. Well, maybe a few.

Besides, gifts are awful. No one (except my husband) EVER gives me a gift that requires as much care and time as I put into their gifts. Or, I'll buy someone something, and they won't get me anything at all.

This year, and for the past few years, I have recognized the fact that we already have more stuff than we could ever possibly need, and therefore, I propose to my husband that we either donate to the local homeless the money we would have otherwise spent on needless gifts, or that we travel to Florida to spend quality time with my mother, celebrating the birth of Christ with the people I love most in this world.

Our small family Christmases are wonderful. We pray, thanking God profusely for all of our blessings, and eat a big home-cooked meal (made by yours truly), and enjoy each other's company playing board games on one of the very few days of the year that we are all at home.

For that, Christmas is truly Merry. :)

If any of you want a peaceful, spirited Christmas with no gift pressure and a big meal, let me know, and I'll send you google map directions to our house. But you have to donate to our Nashville homeless first!

Would you complain and be upset or would your be all happy and bubbly saying "well that's OK! I'm just happy Christ was born today!" I don't know about you guys but....o.0

And if you REALLY want to bring it down. Let's pretend Christ is some random dude across the street which essentially he is because well...do you KNOW Christ? o.0 Anyways. No one says "Oh. I'm happy I got nothing because it's that random dude's bithday! I'm going to celebrate it!".......o.0

Besides. This world revolves around money. This society is all about social standing and you have none of it if you live on the streets pan handling. You might not want to believe it because you think it makes you shallow but it's the truth. If you don't have money you don't have ANYTHING. You need money to get into school. You need money for food, shelter, transportation EVERYTHING and on Christmas it's just that much cheaper.....heck. you need money for INTERNET so you can play NEOPETS!

Besides. Your family? You LIVE with them o.0 We have the other 363 (I'm not including Boxing day) to spend time with them.

In conclusion. If Christmas wasn't about getting stuff, buying stuff, SALES and all that stuff then trust me. Almost NO ONE would be celebrating it >_>

To answer the first line, I'm athiest, so that kinda kills the Christ part for me.

The bolded piece shows good proof as to why I think religon is bullcrap.

That's the problem. Money is what people thrive upon. It's what caused all the world's problems. It's what's destroying mankind. And why? Because people have an obsession with green paper so they can say "LOOK WHAT I HAVE!". It sickens me to the point that I am ashamed that I am a part of the human race. An American, no less, whom care more about money than any other country.

Yeah, you live with your family. But some people aparently are blind enough to not notice that.

Nobody would be celebrating it, because it's all about money, and that's why I'm disgusted.

I couldn't agree more, Cryonic After the Void. Err, hey Cav :)

This name-changing option is weird.

Cryonic

After the

Void

It's still CAV.

Really, they've done that with EVERY holiday.

Then it all goes back to the American mentality that material things equal happiness. So really, the stores and other merchants aren't creating this material lust, but merely taking advantage of it.

But Christmas...ohhhh man, that has been on my hit list for years now. But you say "I hate Christmas" and everyone gasps like you're a blasphemer, so I don't share my attitudes about it much. But since you asked...

To me, Christmas has become this bloated, corpulent, selfish, greed-filled, disgusting, pathetic celebration of materialism. Religion is not even a factor in Christmas anymore. (By the way, the December 25 date was a compromise between Pagans and Christians - Jesus was actually born sometime in October.) And I am a proud Christian, so this aspect bothers me greatly, but unfortunately, comes as no surprise.

They HAVE done that with every holiday. But Christmas is the real cash cow in this.

While people created the lust, stores amplify it and bring it to light, further damaging us.

There are people that do celebrate Christmas for what it is. I consider getting gifts a BONUS, not the purpose of the whole freakin holiday.

The Catholic church says Christmas day was the birth of Christ. I was a Catholic before losing faith in god and being considered an athiest.

I think Christmas, or any holiday, means something different depending on who you are. I believe there is a large percentage who enjoy and celebrate Christmas for religious reasons. Some enjoy the holiday spirit of giving (and receiving).

It is what you make it, and I don't think anyway you celebrate is "wrong" even if you're only into the giant purchases because in the end, you're still hanging out with family and friends.

Our friends celebrate Festivus. Interesting celebration - that's all I'll say LOL

ETA: If you think it's a cash cow, don't participate. lol Seems simple.

Our friends celebrate Festivus. Interesting celebration - that's all I'll say LOL

A Festivus...for the rest of us! :D

Yeah, not participating in Christmas....look at what happened to Ebenezer Scrooge when he tried that :P

A Festivus...for the rest of us! :D

Yeah, not participating in Christmas....look at what happened to Ebenezer Scrooge when he tried that :P

LOL You might see some ghosts - no biggie :P

Indulging in shopping is fine, IMO. I think there are a lot of instances in the other 364 days of the year that people deserve to be spoiled at least once a year.

Almost ALL of my family is scattered around the world and we all meet up only on Thanksgiving and Christmas. So I only get to see all my cousins, grandparents, brother, etc on those two holidays and LUCKY if I see them any other month of the year.

Back when I was a child, we would have presents that would reach over our heads and everything, but then with the economy, we all had to cut that down and do "secret santa" ever since. So that's like one present from your person and other random stuff from the richer people in the family.

I'll agree that it's really all about the money for those major holidays...but I guess it's mainly just a few families that still feel excited to see the whole family again and could care less about the gifts (except for the kiddies of course). My family are very close and that's honestly my best gift for the holidays and a lot of my other family members agree with me on that.

I really hate how businesses take advantage of people and make them believe that they need this or that. But of course, it's all about profit to them and for the consumers, all about the presents.

I don't see my extended family on Christmas. Christmas is a time for giving so you don't seem cheap.

To answer the first line, I'm athiest, so that kinda kills the Christ part for me.

The bolded piece shows good proof as to why I think religon is bullcrap.

I totally agree! I'm not going to say I'm athiest because that makes athiesm feel like a religion but I really don't care about any of this stuff

Nobody would be celebrating it, because it's all about money, and that's why I'm disgusted.

*shrugs* That's the way the world works now. If you think about it it's going to screw you over. If you try something else...well. It's also gonna screw you over :P

It is what you make it, and I don't think anyway you celebrate is "wrong" even if you're only into the giant purchases because in the end, you're still hanging out with family and friends.

Most people don't even spend time with family. They buy the stuff for the kids, give it to them, then they leave you the crap alone.

Like you just said, there are different ways of participating in the holiday. It's mostly a cash cow because the stores and companies jam it down our throats. And we get suckered into it.

I totally agree! I'm not going to say I'm athiest because that makes athiesm feel like a religion but I really don't care about any of this stuff

*shrugs* That's the way the world works now. If you think about it it's going to screw you over. If you try something else...well. It's also gonna screw you over :P

Atheiesm means you don't believe in ANY religon. It's not a religon upon itself.

Agreed. And that's the problem with humans.

Most people don't even spend time with family. They buy the stuff for the kids, give it to them, then they leave you the crap alone.

Really? That doesn't appear to be the case here, but then again I'm almost an entire decade older than you haha Which means many friends go away for college and come home to hang out and relax with family/friends for a few weeks.

Heck, even my pals from high school- who don't even celebrate Christmas - drop in for a while to catch up.

Really? That doesn't appear to be the case here, but then again I'm almost an entire decade older than you haha Which means many friends go away for college and come home to hang out and relax with family/friends for a few weeks.

Heck, even my pals from high school- who don't even celebrate Christmas - drop in for a while to catch up.

I know several families that just give the presents, then leave.

I am religious, so I celebrate Christmas for celebrating the birth of Jesus. I also ask for gifts, though my list is barely ever more than 3 things. However, it really pisses me off that Christmas has become so commercialized.

October, you go to the mailbox, and guess what? there might be one or two Halloween things. But, there is way too many Christmas things. WOW! SPEND ONLY 50 DOLLARS ON CRAP YOUR CHILD WILL ONLY PLAY FOR WITH A DAY AND THEN THROW IT IN A DRAWER! What about the kids that are lucky to get a freaking 5 dollar teddy bear? I like to spend time with a family. I know kids who will do this: Sit around there families, keeping silent. Present time! open up your present and find that video game that everybody has. Go to your room and don't come out until the next day. I love Christmas but stores and people make it no longer about family, friends, and Christ (for Christians)

Guest Yoshinho

People buy stuff to give to others since Christmas is sorta like the Day of Giving and Thanks(well that is Thanksgiving but it ties in there somewhere) Which is why you see loads of people at stores and many store events. People are trying their best to find items affordable or nice or both to give to a friend, family member or even someone random that they do not know!

I don't celebrate Christmas, but I agree. I often come off as a scrooge during the season because everyone else is like "How can you not like Christmas, omg, how can you not celebrate Christmas" But seriously, I celebrate Ayamiha, which is in February. Also, there is still meaning in it for some people, but you are correct CAV, the holiday has become a cash-grab. I was seeing commercials in September.

Atheiesm means you don't believe in ANY religon. It's not a religon upon itself.

Yeah but atheiesm follows certain rules which make it SEEM like a religion.

And like I've said. You give gifts so you don't seem cheap. You recieve gifts so you can give them back out again next year :P

And for me. US Thanksgiving is a time when my dad sits in front of the computer all day waiting for the online sales since we already had thanksgiving :P

Curious, what rules to atheists follow? I'm being totally serious. Y'all don't go to church or anything right?

Well, I guess it would be antichurch.

You guys are too young to be so bitter. :( It makes me sad.

The fact that I'm being tested a second time for depression, I've always been negative in life, and events that occured in the 4th grade all add up to the bitter, sarcastic, blunt, and smart-alec person that is CAV.

That's not how I see it.

Curious, what rules to atheists follow? I'm being totally serious. Y'all don't go to church or anything right?

Atheists don't believe in God, the Devil, Heaven or Hell. They believe that religon altogether is bullcrap, and it's just plain nonsense.

I believe in Evolution, which isn't a religon when for the most part it's proven fact.

There are religions where Science and religion agree you know, I'm religious, but I also believe in evolution. if science can prove it beyond a doubt I believe it for what it is, but this is getting off topic.

Christmas can still have meaning if you decide it should, maybe that meaning is something you invent for yourself, maybe it is a cash-grab, but since you don't celebrate it as the birth of Christ (Which science actually pinpointed in april, not december) then maybe it is for family, and if you hate your family, or it doesn't seem special you can say it's a day for yourself.

The thing that irritates me the most is when shops put Christmas decorations up really early, even before Halloween. So come Christmas time I am sick of them. When I rule the world (that's right I said when lol) There shall be no Christmas decorations anywhere till at least the second week of December

There are religions where Science and religion agree you know, I'm religious, but I also believe in evolution. if science can prove it beyond a doubt I believe it for what it is, but this is getting off topic.

Scientology is bullcrap. Any religon that you have to pay for is pointless.