Happy Thankgiving

jumpingbeans

Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadians! (and I guess Happy Columbus Day to all Americans)

Anyone doing anything special to celebrate? I already had my Thanksgiving dinner last night. My family and my in-laws came over for supper, so I spent most of yesterday cooking turkey and roast. I'm still exhausted. At least I now have two more days of weekend to relax and recover.

Something like that, yep. :yes: I always want to say it's the 24th, but not necessarily. I'm guessing the first Thanksgiving I remember must have happened on the 24th. Only explanation I can find. /ramble

Happy Thanksgiving!

btw, what do you guys actually do on Thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving is kind of a fall harvest festival. It is a statutory holiday in Canada, so many businesses are closed. The holiday is always on the second Monday in October, but most people will celebrate on Sunday, instead. Most people celebrate by having a traditional family dinner of turkey, dressing, potatoes, carrots, and other root vegetables. Pumpkin pie is a common desert, though I think pecan pie, apple pie, and (maple) sugar creme pie are also commonly enjoyed.

*hugs everyone* Happy Thanksgiving. October is my favorite month - start of hockey season, holds my favorite two holidays and starts the countdown to my birthday! :laughingsmiley:

Lucky you! So what's the official countdown?

Wow, a family dinner sounds so good. I've never had turkey, and I've always wanted to try pumpkin pie.

Thanks JB!

*gratefully accepts pie and turkey and cuts slice of pie*

No holidays for us until Christmas :(

Oh Halloween is still here, just the costumes and a couple of kids walking up the street for sweets (that's candy for you guys).

No Remembrance Day, just Labour day and Waitangi Day.

Thanks for the Cranberry Sauce. *returns cranberry slice*, we have cranberry sauce here already.

No thanks...

*pushes cranberry sauce onto dining table*

Yes we have everything! So... when is the actual US Thanksgiving?

Ah. It is definitely not a recognised holiday here in NZ.

Well, thanks for the food!

*passes around the turkey from JB*