Bumping Old Boards

alabamasax

I have this question for the TDN team. To prevent people from bumping boards that are more than 21 days dead, why don't the moderators go on through and lock the topics to prevent people having to be warned? I know it is sometimes hard to see all of the dead, unlocked boards but looking through the debate and discussion section I can see several boards that have been dead for more than 21 days just waiting to be bumped. ;) I just didn't know if it was against the rules for a moderator to lock the board until it had been bumped or what.

Thanks,

Skot

a.k.a. alabamasax

o.o Thats a very good point! Considering, from my experience moderating forums (not these, of course), locked threads can be un-locked at will if the mod decides the topic is worth saving. AND a locked thread can still be viewed! I don't know, maybe things work differently in these forums :D We eagerly wait your reply, oh forum gods!

To answer your first question, we don't auto-lock posts because that would take a lot of the mods' time, and the mods need to be spending their time watching for issues, in the case something arises, it can be dealt with quickly. We just ask that members check the date/time stamp.

The reason we lock the posts when they've been inactive for over 21 days, is because 1. They're outdated or 2. The discussion has died down. This helps keep the topics current.

If you'd like to post on a closed topic, you can contact the mod that locked it. They will make the decision on whether to reopen or not.

I hope this answers your questions.

Just to clarify, we've always held the policy that an old topic which is bumped will not be closed if the new post contributes significantly to the conversation, which is another reason why we don't auto-lock old topics. :yes:

Spritzie, you're making yourself sound like you've been a mod for years, when you just completed your first week.

However, she and RIG are right.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Do not be rude to staff in any way.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

EDIT: Doesn't ANYONE see that last line!?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clarify, we've always held the policy that an old topic which is bumped will not be closed if the new post contributes significantly to the conversation, which is another reason why we don't auto-lock old topics. :yes:

But that happens basically never, so why bother? Auto-locking seems to make more sense considering this site is so uptight about this rule.

I'd like to thank everyone for their feedback on this matter.

Unfortunately, the forums software does not have the capability to auto-lock topics two weeks after the last post in them. This is more complicated than it sounds to program.

The Daily Neopets staff has looked into options, such as mods locking topics or an auto-lock feature, in the past and we have chosen not to do them for numerous reasons. That being said, at this time, we feel that it is best to leave things how they currently are since there hasn't been a huge issue in the 4+ years these forums have been around.

This topic has sparked an interest amongst the staff again and we have come to the same conclusion. We do appreciate members feedback and input as it helps us make tdn forums a better place and we always take what you guys have to say into consideration.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (TJ).

The original topic had been answered.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact TJ if you have any questions regarding this action.