Stock Market

Lamppost

Typically, I just buy at the cheapest I can and sell after it's gained a few points. However, I was going for the Stock Market avatar awhile ago (maybe a year?) and I bought a stock at 60 points, putting in 60k. Since then, it's only been going down. Now it's at 6, and it hasn't been above 20 in months. I can't decide if I should just sell and take the loss once it gets to a reasonable number like 15 or 20, because then I don't have to worry about it any longer, or if I should hold out for trying to break even. Any recommendations?

I did what you did. I sold it when it was the closest to 15, when it didn't go up. There's no point in selling when it's low. You won't get much NP back, so it doesn't really help. Just keep checking it. And if you are okay with a bit of a loss, sell when it gets close enough to be agreeable with you.

yup, same problem. I had loads of stocks like that though, and I did just wait. I'm almost sold half of them at a profit now though! ^_^ Just keep waiting, you've got nothing to lose and if it went up once, it can go up again :D

I bought 10 shares in the TNPT stock a few years ago, at 197 NP a share(I wasn't as smart back then :laughingsmiley: )

Now, it's at 57, slowly rising back up.

I hoping it will get back t o197 again, but I'll probably sell at 100.

I wouldn't recommend buying anything above 15! I would recommend buying shares from several different companies, as you have your nps spread out a bit more. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Stocks may take a very very long time to rise enought to make it worth while, but when they do rise enough, you will be very happy! GL!

I wouldn't recommend buying anything above 15! I would recommend buying shares from several different companies, as you have your nps spread out a bit more. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Stocks may take a very very long time to rise enought to make it worth while, but when they do rise enough, you will be very happy! GL!

Yes, I typically don't. I only did it for the avatar, since you can only buy so many shares each day, and I wanted the avatar as fast as I could get it. Maybe I was a little too impatient, since I've probably waited about as long for the stock to go up as I would have if I had only bought stocks at 15. Oh well... Live and learn, right?

When not trying for the avatar, I can see how yours would be great advice!

I'm working towards the avatar and putting in 15K a day-which is why I'm still a long way away :D

What I usually do is something along the lines of what bears54fan advised. I buy anything that's 15K at the moment and wait for it to rise at least 100% (sometimes it happens really quickly). Once I get the avatar I'll narrow down to around 4-5 companies.

• 2 weeks later...

Uhhghh SAME thing is happening to me! The stock that I have is down -68.97% from when I bought it!

I've been trying to decided the same thing as you - although I always seem to hang onto it. Maybe because I've watched that old episode of Seinfeld (where Jerry pulls out of the stock and George makes like $8000 or something silly like that) to many times and I just keep hoping that it will go back up!

I've had tons of luck with my other stocks, it's just THIS one that isn't working in my favor.

Well, there are stocks that were at 20 a year ago that are in the 100-200s right now, so there is still a chance your stocks will go back up to 100-150-ish.

Stocks require so much patience, most of the time all but one of my stocks are in the negatives, and one gets an 100% increase every month or so at most :P

I've right now got about 500k in stocks, but the value would be about 300k total.

Also, a question for the stock avvie: Does the million Neopoints need to be NP that you put in, or the NP that the worth is now?

It's the NP that you put in. It doesn't matter how much the stocks are worth to get it.

I was thinking about doing the same thing as I want the avatar. But I think now I'll just stick to my 15np a share rule. My problem is remembering to buy everyday. I put a sticky note on my monitor though. LOL.

That's a good idea. It does take a long time, though. I was able to sell most of my stocks that I bought when they were high at the price I paid or even higher. I'm just having problems with one -- but I guess they're pretty big problems! It's all about how patient you're willing to be or how many NP you're willing to spend for the avatar. Good luck!

This avatar is probably the most expensive avatar I'm ever started trying to get. of course, I play the stock market anyway, and the Avvie just makes it fun :) .

Luckily, you get all of your NP back when you're done! Well, most of them anyway, as long as your stocks do well...