Am I the Only One Who Dislikes the Dress Your Pet Option?

nbbug132

I agree, because the clothing had to fit all pets they made them into one position, like a statue. Before neopets would look sad, or angry, or like they are fighting, showing emotion physically and expression. Now they all look like as if they are Relic. And somethng like faerie lenny got so simple looking the old faerie lenny was amazing!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like customization either. Clothes seem like a poor replacement for the unique and graceful poses some of the more expensively painted pets used to have. Sure, you can say that clothes will make your pet look different from everyone else's, but it sounds a bit childish to me - playing dress-up with your pet. I agree that most people put so much on their pet that usually it looks gaudy and tacky - not to mention most clothes, especially dresses, don't look as good on four-legged pets as two-legged ones. And I despise the whole NeoCash idea - that you have to buy NC with real life money, which is obviously another of Viacom's attempt to gain more profit from Neopets.

All that said, I like backgrounds and trinklets :) And some of the poor converted pets that have fists now certainly need something to hold, lol. And I've seen tasteful customization that looks really good!

Guest Yoshinho

I actually like Customization. I do not buy NC since it is not worth it but I do like getting free nc through events when possible so I can take advantage of the mall for free just by saving up nc over the years and events.

• 3 weeks later...

Al My pets are undressed. I have been playing neopets for around 5,5 years and was very used to the undressed petpets.

Most of the clothing doesn't really fit. The background are something, I sometimes like. Or wings or something backgroundisch :)

But real "clothes" doesn't do it for me.

Ayashe, I think the users that are "peeved" are more upset about the fact that all the pets now have the same, silly pose. You can't get away from that, its not an option.

I think that it would be great to have the option to choose if your want your pet in the old poses or the cunstomation pose. It's just a picture anyways. So it must not be hard to make that option.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. You can use the 'Edit' button instead.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I think I have to agree with most people. I hated it at first... but its grown on me! I like things like hats lol and some of the hair... not really a lot of the clothes persay. I actually hate the background option! If I didn't get free ones all the time from KQ none of my pets would have one!

I too am not a fan of the backgrounds. The only one I like is the Classic Neopets Circle Background. If I had NeoCash, that's what I would buy.

• 2 weeks later...

On my old account, I do recall taking part in the Beta and thinking, "This is quite fun".

About 2 years later, I've got into the Customisation thing again, and the only thing that really irritates me is the lack of Neopoints-avaliable clothes compared to the NC items. If I went up to my mum and asked her to pay for some NeoCash, no amount of perusasion would work. If we take my Biscuit Yurble, for example, I just get so irritated that the majority of stuff which would look nice on her (to compliment the biscuit colour) are either riduculously expensive, not avaliable to buy, or are NC items. In fact, the only NC items I have are the stuff that comes with the freebie pack (the Carnival jacket, Gypsie Henna and Time Tunnel soundtrack which personally I <3).

I agree actually, I do have some customization done, but the only one I have clothing on is my shoyru...and when he's a draik he won't because he'll be faerie, though I do with I had even had the option of converting because mine were converted automatically when they put the customization option (And now my faerie pteri looks RIDICULOUS) I refuse to buy neocash because I see it as a waste of real money though I love half the stuff in there. I only buy it when I get enough from prizes or freebies or if a friend sends me a gift. I personally LOVE many of the backgrounds...although most of the neopoint ones are a bit silly, and the wings are AWESOME, (my Kougra can fly!)but clothing for the most part makes me laugh. Although the slorg hat is pretty darn cute. My Eyrie can't be dressed at all because of the fur on his neck, and it looks funny, so he will never have clothing...after all when he becomes a mutant Draik I won't be able to put anything on him at all.

I'm with the OP, I think nearly all customisation looks bad. I quite like the backgrounds and very occasionally I like an item, such as the seasonal purse which goes nice with my Tyrannian Peophin, but mostly I think it looks terrible.

I've been considering removing my backgrounds so my pets are completely uncustomised. I think it would look better, but also a bit bare now that I'm used to backgrounds.

I didn't get what it was at first, and my friend had to explain it to me. I think it's pretty stupid, but I can see why it's so popular. To me, it's just more things I can collect for my safety deposit box, and later sell after I get the avatar. I do like the backgrounds, though. I think they can add to your pet. Like if I ever get the Faerie Pteri, I'd totally try to find some kind of sky background so it'd look like he's soaring. Or if I got a water type pet, I'd try to get a water background. But that's pretty much the only thing I like about the dressing up thing, lol.

I'll admit I love the customization feature, the idea to make your pet different from everyone elses is pretty cool, although I agree that there should be poses for the pets if they are holding or not holding items; the closed fists look really awkward.

.... and I'm guilty of buying NC, at least the items on Neopets are reasonably priced and not ungodly expensive like on Gaia.

I'm in the exact situation with the OP. I started exactly 8 years (-1 day) ago. I kind of lost interest after a while, and then couldn't remember the birthday to log in again. I finally started playing again just a few months ago, and I thought the whole wearing clothes thing was just silly. I liked the white background because it looked nice and clean. Speaking from an aesthetic point of view, the background and clothing are intrusive, and they take the focus away from the pet and into the mesh of colors. Or maybe I'm just old and dislike new things.

I was pretty much the same way for the longest time. What bothered me more about it at first though was the real money for digital items thing. I don't tend to generally like alot of the stuff. Though I thought what the heck when my family handed me some cards as a gift. I really didn't use them until the Halloween stuff started popping up. Halloween is my weakness.

Edit: Eep grammer is not your friend on 2 hours of sleep o.o

Like alot of people on here at first i really hated it but some of the items are really pretty. I have also done the neocash thing mainly because of the dumb mystery capsules lol... Im so bad when it comes to grab bags or goody bags or gift crackers. Even though I know there is nothing worth it in them I have to know whats in there =P kind of silly i know. :evo:

I for one find customization to be pretty nifty. Though I'm not exactly a fan of neocash, it seems fair to me. I mean, it's not like they're forcing you to buy it. And I usually spend my NC on clothes, or superpacks rather than the horribly overpriced game tickets. Though I would like it if TNT would let us unconvert our pets...(drools at UC Usukiboy)

All in all, customization offers limitless opportunities to really give your pet character.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I didn't like it at first either - but it's one of those things that you can't help but see on other pets every time you turn around. At first I thought "I'm just going to dress a couple in some cheaper items", but that turned into, "Oh no, everyone's gonna know I'm cheap - I better upgrade." Then one thing led to another and I lost sight of it all and now I kinda dig dressing them up!

I agree with several other users who have said they wish there was an unconverted option when you painted your pet. I had an account years ago and I too remember the goal to make your pet look nice was to get your fave paintbrush. The ability to dress your pets isn't worth giving up all the fun poses the pets used to have before they were converted. If I paint my pets, I won't have them wear anything beyond trinkets and backgrounds, because otherwise you won't see the paint job! Having said that, I do rather enjoy customization. I'm glad that they are slowly making more np clothes items wearable, but I'll admit that I sometimes go to the ncmall to determine what I would buy if I had nc. :D

• 3 weeks later...

It's fun to customize pets sometimes, especially species like usuls which look like they need a whole lot of pampering :D

I do miss the pre-conversion days and wish I had the foresight to paint all the wannabe-darigans... darigan.

The thing that urks me the most is how all the cool stuff are in the NC mall :/

No you aren't the only one. I don't mind clothes, as long as they don't completely cover my pets up. However what I hate is pets that have been WAY too customized, as in it all looks too cluttered and has stuff on it or surrounding it just for the sake of it.

I think I'm with the crowd on this. I definitely dig the backgrounds, quite like some of the accessories/props, but not so much on the clothes, no. On an aesthetic level, they so rarely look any good, and it really is such a shame that they changed the pets designs.

I hadn't really much noticed, because I'm somewhat oblivious in general, but I was trying to get a friend back into Neopets and she was complaining that if she ever converted her pets, her Faerie Pteri would look...well. Not wonderful at all. And then I noticed afterwards that my converted Shoyru wasn't nearly as adorable as the old version and Iwaslike "HEY!".

So, mixed feelings there, really.

I think I'm with the crowd on this. I definitely dig the backgrounds, quite like some of the accessories/props, but not so much on the clothes, no. On an aesthetic level, they so rarely look any good, and it really is such a shame that they changed the pets designs.

I hadn't really much noticed, because I'm somewhat oblivious in general, but I was trying to get a friend back into Neopets and she was complaining that if she ever converted her pets, her Faerie Pteri would look...well. Not wonderful at all. And then I noticed afterwards that my converted Shoyru wasn't nearly as adorable as the old version and Iwaslike "HEY!".

So, mixed feelings there, really.

I agree. I like the accessories and backgrounds, because it's kind of like what you would do to real pets (sometimes you put a hat on them if they are OK with it, or get them a new toy), but I dislike all the ways neopets have been looking human. When they put legitimate clothes on neopets or draw them to look human, it's just creepy.

If something comes into my possession that looks nice, I'll throw it on one of my pets, but I've never warmed up to customization.

The problem is: my pets look cheap now. It's a huge NP (or even real world money) sink. If I decided to play their game, I'd have to buy a bazillion items to dress up my pets with, when all I want to do is save up for a paint brush. It gets way too complicated and usually none of the items truly look good on a Neopet. And if you have more than, say, four items, your pet easily becomes a jumbled mess of junk with eyes. But somehow it's in style, and I feel like I have to compete or look like a cheapo.

I also agree with Jubinator. The poses are much more anthropomorphic. They were cuter before because they looked like, well, pets.

Now I wouldn't have minded if they added a simple background option. That would have been fun and not too complicated.