Coloring Tips?

Noog

I recently finished my first "real" drawing, I would say. I made a pencil sketch, and re-sketched/colored in GIMP 2.6. I say real because I did a couple of others after using a horrible coloring tutorial on the basis of dodgin and burning. I know we have some good artists around here so hopefully I can get some tips on how to improve. This is from my deviantart. If you like digimon, critique is definately encouraged :P I forgot an ear though D: (because it got cut off at the top because I drew it too big for the paper XD)

Original Sketch:

Gomamon_by_Noogiems.jpg

Colored:

Gomamon_Colored_by_Noogiems.jpg

Colored, Plus some GIMP magic and a bit of layer work, and a bit more of the bottom cut off:

Gomamon_Colored_with_Sunset_by_Noogiems.jpg

When I did the sketch, it was supposed to be like this :P

01_gomamon.jpg

2 Last Comments :P First of all, my images are showing up full size, which is very inconvenient because I kept them uploaded after I liked the view that DA put it in. D: I need to scale them down but GIMP makes that difficult. I'll hyperlink them to their respective pages. Secondly, I'm not going to encourage you to check me out on Deviantart, but if you do I can't guaruntee that my journals etc. are PG-13.

You can always re-size the canvas and draw in the parts that were cut off right on GIMP, you know. :-) Pictures of characters always look a lot better when the top of their head isn't cut off. Umm. with the shading, since this picture looks like a sunset picture on the beach the shading should be more dramatic and have more light around the edge of the character and the center more dark. since light is coming from behind. I'll edit your picture in a sec to show what I mean.

You can always re-size the canvas and draw in the parts that were cut off right on GIMP, you know. :-) Pictures of characters always look a lot better when the top of their head isn't cut off. What exactly do you want critique on? You're kinda just copying an image and adding a background so idk what you want help on?

I don't know. The only time I really looked at the image was during the sketch, and the background was completely original. :/ This was my first time going over a sketch with the pen tool too.

The cutting off of the head is something that I do wish hadn't happened.

He's really cute, I don't know anything about Digimon though. :P I would like to add that the sand is a little distracting since it repeats and overlaps. Don't be afraid to try drawing backgrounds! I know they're tough, they're my sworn art enemy!

Never used Gimp before. Is it basically like Photoshop?

ahhh!! I kept on editing my post, because I realized what I said was kinda rude and I tried to add something useful after. oopsss sorry. This is actually really impressive for a first time drawing. and I'm really happy you attempted a background for your first digital drawing, too. I don't really know much about digimon, but I can do an edit to help you with shading. if you want. x:

You can always re-size the canvas and draw in the parts that were cut off right on GIMP, you know. :-) Pictures of characters always look a lot better when the top of their head isn't cut off. Umm. with the shading, since this picture looks like a sunset picture on the beach the shading should be more dramatic and have more light around the edge of the character and the center more dark. since light is coming from behind. I'll edit your picture in a sec to show what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean about the shadows and the lighting, but I showed it to about 5 people and they said that they couldn't tell until I told them and they didn't think it was an issue.

I guess the small details really count XD Mostly I did this in about 3 hours because I was really happy that it looked vaguely good :P

Ok! I was worried I wasn't being very clear. I'm sorta bad at explaining art things with words.

& Yea. I can tell you put a lot of effort into it. 3 hours takes a lot of patience!

If I wasn't so excited I would have worked way more on it :P I've done several 5 hour projects this past month that just didn't work out an went to te trash bin.

That's a pretty remarkable first project! Your beginning sketch is good, and you definitely have much more understanding of how to use GIMP than I do. I can't seem to figure out how to do anything useful with GIMP.

It is really good for a first attempt! :)

The shading is the main thing you need to work with, I think. Since you put the sun behind your character, the edges should the lighter not darker. Try to think about where the light is coming from and it should help you work out which bits should be lighter or darker than the main colour :P Its like, if you hold up a ball and shine a torch on the front of it (shining onto the bit you can see) then the edges are the darker part; but if you hold the torch behind the ball then its the middle of the ball that is dark.

Edit: Don't want to post again, but in reply to the post below, you don't NEED a tablet xD I have one, but most of my art is done with a mouse and the pen tool! I do sketch with my tablet, only because I don't have a working scanner to sketch on paper and scan like you've done haha (My stuff if you're interested.)

You need a Wacom tablet. Mine is priceless to me. Tell the 'rents that you need one for Christmas. Note: Don't say "want," say "neeeeeed." And tell them it's educational and whatnot.

I will show off what I did with my Wacom:

3dc2b89633a7a7967900444ce4601e81.png

:wub_anim:

A couple o' years back I had a digimon obsession, and I must say this is a fantastic drawing of Gomamon

and I love what you did with GIMP, however there is a little sliver of blue on the side that kinda bothers me :/

Regarding Wacom Tablets: They aren't necessary, but oh boy do they make your life so much easier. They give your hand much more freedom and health-wise they're probably better for your hand than a mouse. I'm using mine right now. Oh, how I love it so

Regarding Wacom Tablets: They aren't necessary, but oh boy do they make your life so much easier. They give your hand much more freedom and health-wise they're probably better for your hand than a mouse. I'm using mine right now. Oh, how I love it so

Yeppers. I think casual graphic artists probably view a Wacom tablet as a luxury, but hardcore graphics addicts like myself can't live without it!!

I'm also a developer on another well-known site so yeah, I use mine quite often.

• 3 weeks later...

You need a Wacom tablet. Mine is priceless to me. Tell the 'rents that you need one for Christmas. Note: Don't say "want," say "neeeeeed." And tell them it's educational and whatnot.

I will show off what I did with my Wacom:

:wub_anim:

wacom ftw!

I've done some freelance graphic design and my first ever tablet was given to me, I don't even know the brand

a while back I finally decided to buy a wacom for myself - bamboo agreed with my funds

if you put a4 sheet of paper over it, you get a more geniune feel of drawing.. plus it protects d:

but I recently got a grant and got a cintiq.. it is so amazing!!!

bamboo is for when I'm on the go

you can also get stylus' and use a mac track pad

however having said that, you don't need a tablet to achieve great results

just keep practicing, valiant, and experiment.. find what techniques best work for you

browse online tutorials -all free!

i basically taught myself

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Stephé) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post. Use the edit button instead.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

omg vivien, you have a Cintiq? o_O *want*

I have to agree with everyone else; that's a pretty good pic for a first go~ o_O

My first try was.... horrible XD

Regarding lighting/shading, I agree with what everyone has said so far.

I'd also like to add that because the sun is coming from behind, there will most likely be a larger cast shadow at its feet. If you really want to get technical, the shadow should also be tinted blue (complementary colours; light source = orangey-yellow, shadow = blue)

Um, hope that helps ^^;