Potato

jumpingbeans

How do YOU pronounce it?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce the word potato?

• Po- TAY(ay as in play)- to
    • Po - TAH(ah as in A(h)vacado
    • I don
    • Who cares?

I mostly pronounce it as "Blarg!" :sick01: I really don't like 'em. I'll tolerate them, so long as they are deep-fried, but only because they mostly just taste like generic fried food then.

Seriously, though, I say it as po-TAY-to.

PO TAYYYYYY TO!!! I generally dont like them unless they are fries. Yummy. That is the only reason that I dont insult McDonalds. :laughingsmiley:

Who cares? We're lucky that we have so much choice, in some languages different pronunciations of the same spelling have completely different meanings.

(before you rant, I realize we have those too, such as read and read (present and past tense) for example. But the English language has very few.)

(before you rant, I realize we have those too, such as read and read (present and past tense) for example. But the English language has very few.)

hallelujah to that! I'm fairly certain I would be confused all the time if English was like that. It would be another b p d issue for me (I have serious issues remembering which letter I need to use and half the time when I right it on paper i write the wrong one and then just end up making a new letter that looks like all them combined :whistle: )

But yeah, I say potato. Haha, after typing that I realized that typing does not illustrate how I say something...fail...

*wanders off singing the potatoe song*

PoTAYto.

I have never heard anyone say poTAHto, not even here in Jersey where everyone seems to say everything different. (Although I will have you know that NO ONE says Joisey. ;p)

I say "poe-tay-toe"

But here in Tennessee we also say "taters" and sometimes "poe-tay-tahs" and even "per-tay-ters" like on Sling Blade. sigh

I pronounce it that same way. And for fun, once in awhile, I saw pa-taters. :laughingsmiley:

• 1 month later...

PO - Tayy - toe :)

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Make all posts at least 7 words long, and please don't bump topics over 21 days old.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Anime if you have any questions regarding this action.