Is God an alien?

zoobidubi

Apparently there's the mention of aliens in the bible, but I can't tell you first-hand. My boyfriend told me that today.

As you can tell from that sentence alone, I'm not a respectable person to debate this subject with. All I can go with is opinions, so I apologize for what I'm about to say.

It's my belief that God is an ideal that humans hold onto for support. Whenever we're going through hardships, it's God's plan, or God's wrath on the unjust. Whenever something good happens, it's God's grace. It's a cop-out for things that we can't explain or describe, which is perfectly acceptable considering the conditions: It keeps us sane and happy. Ignorance is bliss, as they say. Saying "God did it" and answering the question of how with "we can't conceive it" may be logically unsound, but for the average man, that's okay. We don't NEED to know the truth, as long as a balance is kept. Without the idea of divine intervention, society falls into chaos. No more are we under the morals of religion, but the morals of mankind. With that in mind, I'm happy that the concept of God exists, whether it's real or not.

And besides, We are the aliens.

Every being is an alien. An alien is a being that is unknown to others. There may be aliens out there that we don't know of, and there may be an alien race that knows nothing of our existence, hence us being "alien" to them.

I thought that an alien was officially defined as a being that doesn't belong in its surrounding environment. That being said, you can't really define what's an alien and what isn't because there isn't a unanimous definition of environment. That could simply be defined as the city, country, galaxy, or even dimension, but it's none of these. It would have to be more of an opinion than a definition, which would leave the answer of this question entirely up to one's perception.

But of course if we were to twist the debate into that type of situation, we couldn't effectively debate anything. XD I just figured that it was an interesting point to ponder.

I think we are going to agree on a lot of things, Sully. :P

(By the way, my avatar is the Invisible Pink Unicorn, an atheist site similar to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I intend to get it as a tattoo.)

Haha, well I'm not an atheist myself.

I honestly just couldn't care less. I guess you could say agnostic really but I don't even care enough to label myself...

hahahahaha

religion is a waste of time, enjoy yourself while you are living and don't concern yourself about death.

Because honestly, if there is a god, and there is a heaven. If you're a normal nice person who generally doesn't do bad things I couldn't imagine this "god" would send you to hell...even if you weren't a super religious person.

I doubt if there is a god, that he really cares if he is worshiped like crazy like some people worship him. I bet he would rather enjoy the people that are good people at heart without living by the bible because they have to rather then want to...

* meaning that they listen to the ten commandments and things that they shouldn't do rather then having their own morals they listen to the ones "god" made up because they don't want to get sent to hell or whatever they are afraid of.

good people will be good people no matter what, bible bashers are probably only good people cos they are scared to death of going to hell.

Just my opinion...

So you wonder why we haven't seen G-d and why He's not around for us to see.

My uncle and I actually had a recent conversation about G-d. I'm Jewish, and I believe in Him through the old testament. I believe that G-d created everything on Earth and even us. So again, why haven't we seen Him? He's got to be here somewhere, right?

Well like I've mentioned before, He created us from His own hands. If we were created from His own hands, wouldn't that mean that we have a part of Him in us? Take out the whole believing Him part of what He puts in us. But seriously, think about it.

We can meddle with our resources to the way we want it just like He did. Look outside your window and just look at everything around you. Those cars... made by us. Those roads, by us. The buildings, bridges, technology, telephone wires... all made by us.

We don't just meddle with resources but we also meddle with fate. Have you heard of the expression: "Listen to your gut" before? We can ignore your thoughts and get killed or you can just stay away and probably be safe. Where do we get those 'thoughts' from though?

So instead of asking yourself if G-d is an Alien, but rather, are we G-d ourselves? Do we have G-d in ourselves or are we just going to settle that He lives in Heaven and we will one day meet Him?

What do you guys think about that? ^_^

So you wonder why we haven't seen G-d and why He's not around for us to see.

My uncle and I actually had a recent conversation about G-d. I'm Jewish, and I believe in Him through the old testament. I believe that G-d created everything on Earth and even us. So again, why haven't we seen Him? He's got to be here somewhere, right?

Well like I've mentioned before, He created us from His own hands. If we were created from His own hands, wouldn't that mean that we have a part of Him in us? Take out the whole believing Him part of what He puts in us. But seriously, think about it.

We can meddle with our resources to the way we want it just like He did. Look outside your window and just look at everything around you. Those cars... made by us. Those roads, by us. The buildings, bridges, technology, telephone wires... all made by us.

We don't just meddle with resources but we also meddle with fate. Have you heard of the expression: "Listen to your gut" before? We can ignore your thoughts and get killed or you can just stay away and probably be safe. Where do we get those 'thoughts' from though?

So instead of asking yourself if G-d is an Alien, but rather, are we G-d ourselves? Do we have G-d in ourselves or are we just going to settle that He lives in Heaven and we will one day meet Him?

What do you guys think about that? ^_^

This is why I'm not a heavy follower of any religon (I'm Catholic though), there's too many other religons that attempt to prove each other wrong. One guy even claims that Jesus may not have died on a cross like we all believe.

All religons are confusing, especially when you are exposed to both beliefs.

religion is a waste of time, enjoy yourself while you are living and don't concern yourself about death.

IMO religion and other creation/higher being "myths" are things created to make people feel better about things we do not understand (for example death and our existence)

You say "do not concern yourself with death" - but these methods are the way some people achieve this

To simply say "don't concern yourself" undermines what I believe is the focus of religions entire existence

Our human brains can't accept our existence and demise, thus we need reasons for it

My favourite are the Maori myths which are very nature oriented.

I'm very interested in theology and love hearing peoples opinions. And I hope my opinions haven't offended anyone.

This is why I'm not a heavy follower of any religon (I'm Catholic though), there's too many other religons that attempt to prove each other wrong. One guy even claims that Jesus may not have died on a cross like we all believe.

All religons are confusing, especially when you are exposed to both beliefs.

I'm not a theologists of any kind, but I do know that not all religions strive to prove each other wrong. I'll use my religion as an example. We don't use our religion to say that everything in the world today is wrong. We use our religion to remember the past and forgive as well as relive it day by day and replenish our sins. We just remember the memories that made us who we are today from the hands of G-d.

All religions aren't confusing at all. Each one of them are linked to one another. Christianity has Jesus as their messenger, their savior. Muslim's have Muhammad as their prophecy messenger. And you have Moses as a messenger of G-d as well. They all are exactly the same thing but with a different cultural background and a different path of belief. But the religions foundation is exactly the same. So when you say that religions are confusing, it's because you haven't taken the time to learn each one to their fullest. ;D

Going to have to strongly disagree with the idea that religions aren't confusing. The Bible (to name one tome) frequently contradicts itself.

God's "personality" frequently changes ("I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy." (JER 13:14) "Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not, but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling." versus "The Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy." (JAS 5:11), rules are made and then broken, even the story of creation can't agree with itself in Genesis.

The very genealogy of Jesus is given twice and doesn't line up at all. Now, I don't know about you, but if Jesus was supposed to be the son of God, I would make sure I had his genealogy down pat before putting it in a book.

How I became an atheist was actually from reading the Bible word for word as opposed to the happy snippets out of context that I had heard in church. It was a life-draining experience when I realized that this book could not be true, that there is no god and that we are alone from birth to death.

However, now I am truly happy and love being an atheist. I wouldn't trade it for the world. If god himself did exist and came down from the heavens to tell me personally that I was wrong I would rather be sent to hell than agree with the violent, sexist, nonsensical word us humans call his own.

Whew, sorry about all that.

Too long; didn't read version: Religion is crazy, people should be good to each other instead.

• 3 weeks later...

Religions can be confusing and occasionally contradict themselves and each other, but I'm pretty sure that there is an underlying truth to all of them. We had to have come from somewhere, so it seems like there certainly is a god of some sort, but I'm not sure if you'd call him an alien in the traditional sense (though possibly an alien in one of the other ways previously mentioned). Also, the basic idea of most religions is to be kind to others, which I think is something that most people can accept, regardless of the trivial details and other aspects of religion.

• 5 weeks later...

Sirs,

I don't know any philosophy.But one thing that makes me ponder is that why haven't we seen God?There is no hell or heaven rather galaxies and metal core of our earth.So what can be the abode of God.Don't you think he is an alien or does he exist in another dimension ?Can anybody say what physics laws does he use to be invisible.The reason that I ask this question is that I have got some signs that God exists but I still cant believe.How come horrorscopes and astrologers predictions come true.Please enlighten

What makes you think you haven't seen God?

What if he walked past you yesterday, that is assuming you go out. Would you recognize him?

I definitely believe there is a God, and I am assuming you believe in some higher Being. Although even though you are unsure of his looks etc.

Many always ask why I believe in God. I don't try and be smart, and use my reasoning to spend days thinking about whether there is a God or there isn't.

I use logic.

If you do believe in God:

and there is a God = You should be in his Good Books.

and there isn't a God = No harm done.

If you don't believe in God:

and there is a God = You are not going to be a happy chappy.

and there isn't a god = No harm done.

So by using logic, you should definitely believe there is a god ;)

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics that have been inactive for over 21 days.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.