Possible virus help?

-Ryan

Ok, so I was messing with my albums on Photobucket and all the sudden photobucket randomly changed to something claiming to be an anti-spyware program. It was called anti-spyware or something and it was extremely difficult to close. It said we had 11 trojans on the computer and we needed to upload their protection, blahblahblah... My grandpa at first tried to upload it but it was an unknown publisher and the computer told him not to so he didn't. It kept popping up the "run or save this progrm" whenever we tried to close it but eventually I got it to close. Anyone know what the heck just happened? o.o

I believe it's a malware 'ad' that looks like all these threats are on your computer. Somehow, I recall seeing this on CNET ages and ages ago & that there isn't anything to worry about unless you did download their program.

Yes, but it actually replaced photobucket with itself yet I had not clicked anything. That's what's bugging me.

Those adds that pop down even if you don't hover you're mouse over them are starting to annoy me to.. <_<

It's supposed to be malicious like that, catch you off guard to believe it's your computer and not an 'ad'. What browser do you use?

I believe it's a notorious problem with IE.

This also happened on another forum that I admin on. Since the forum is owned by a company, we couldn't do anything about the 'advert', and when we reported this to the company all they told us to do was tell our users not to use IE and to not download anything that looks suspicious.

What a big help eh lol

*shrug*

It's nothing to worry about. Some sites try to get you to download some sort of anti-virus thing, and shows a graphic of what's supposed to be a "scan" of your computer. It's fake and will probably give the same results to everyone who sees it. It'll either then ask you to pay to download it, which will then "fix" your computer (it's a scam ;)), or you'll download it and it'll actually be the malicious program.

To avoid that, I'd recommend using Firefox and downloading NoScript :yes:

• 3 months later...

Same thing's happened to me. Those things are nothing but a scam. My mom was going to download it when we had it but I told her not to and it took over an hour to close. <_<

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Do not post in topics that have been inactive for more than three weeks.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Anime if you have any questions regarding this action.

Bleh, my grandparents used to use firefox but it won't load anymore. D:

And thanks everyone, that's a releif. :)

Uninstall Firefox completely, download the latest version, and reinstall. Firefox quit working for my sister before, and that's what I had to do to fix it. As long as you aren't using IE, it probably doesn't really matter which browser you choose to use.

You will be fine, since you didn't actually download and install the program. Ads are really getting aggressive.