Hey Neopets: Too Many Petpet Park Adverts?

Superfly

Petpet Park Advertisements  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Has Neopets over promoted Petpet Park?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I am unsure?
  2. 2. Do you agree with these promotions on Neopets.com?

• Yea, they're justified.
    • No.
    • I am undecided.

Are premium users seeing this huge picture too on Neopets.com?

No, I see the same thing I always do as I prowl the site...a fact for which I am deeply grateful!

Another thought occurred to me as I went through my dailies today: If PPP is such a big deal, why is it not featured in Adver-Video? I routinely have AV going while I do my dailies, and today 4 of the 5 ads that played were the basic commercial for the main NP site. If they're pushing PPP everywhere else, why not in AV?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only see a big black banner on the front page where the ads use to be, and I'm using AdBlocker. Every other part of the site remains the same.

Yeah that's the cast for me as well, but if you undo ad blocker so you can see the image instead of the black border won't it show you adds on other pages as well? Or can I undo adblock for just that one particular add on that one particular page?

Yeah that's the cast for me as well, but if you undo ad blocker so you can see the image instead of the black border won't it show you adds on other pages as well? Or can I undo adblock for just that one particular add on that one particular page?

Yeah, if you click the arrow next to the ABP symbol, you'll get an option that says "disable on this page only".

I don't see it. And I don't use an ad blocker. Probably it just doesn't work on Chrome or the Altador Constellation layout.But this has gone too far. Me, like other people, find PPP boring, and don't enjoy it. And people who do enjoy it, don't need to be reminded of it every 5 seconds

The unfortunate part for Adblock users is that even if the huge ad is blocked, it appears as a giant black outline.

Which really isn't that pleasing to look at, really.

Maybe it's my screen size, but I don't see any outline, despite being blissfully unaware of all these ads thanks to Adblock.

Anyway, I don't care about PPP. If I wanted a MMO, I'd be playing a MMO.

I personally find their movie ads a lot more annoying and the ads that are before the games. Especially that vampire one that drops down and plays the huge animation? Super annoying.

But the promotion of PPP doesn't bother me. They're trying to promo the dying days of their Halloween 1 park point... Idunno what's it's called. You've got to start somewhere, and unfortunately, the front page of Neopets is a great place to market their new product.

I'm not really sure where I stand on the whole PPP issue. I mean, I don't like having to look at the PPP background whenever I go to the home page. If it were a Neopets background, I'm sure I wouldn't mind. But PPP? I'm not angry, I'm disappointed. I've heard that PPP is for younger kids and a waste of time, and I have no intentions of ever visiting it. And as has been pointed out, it really has nothing to do with the main site. I used to be able to just ignore the links and adverts to PPP, but this?

On the other hand, I'm not being forced to actually join PPP. It's only on the front page, which I don't have to go to that often. If little kiddies see the background and banner and decide they want to join, whoop-de-doo for them. But I don't have to.

Like I said, I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed. But why should I be? Neopets has been disappointing me for a while now. Why should I be surprised? I'm really not. I'm just sad. :(

I'm not really sure where I stand on the whole PPP issue. I mean, I don't like having to look at the PPP background whenever I go to the home page. If it were a Neopets background, I'm sure I wouldn't mind. But PPP? I'm not angry, I'm disappointed. I've heard that PPP is for younger kids and a waste of time, and I have no intentions of ever visiting it. And as has been pointed out, it really has nothing to do with the main site. I used to be able to just ignore the links and adverts to PPP, but this?

On the other hand, I'm not being forced to actually join PPP. It's only on the front page, which I don't have to go to that often. If little kiddies see the background and banner and decide they want to join, whoop-de-doo for them. But I don't have to.

Like I said, I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed. But why should I be? Neopets has been disappointing me for a while now. Why should I be surprised? I'm really not. I'm just sad. :(

This is probably what everyone feels and you worded it the best!

How can you see that image? I can't find it even if I put my theme to neopets basic... Yea I do have adblock but I don't notice anything weird.

EDIT:

Nevermind! I guess cus my resolution is 1024x768 I don't see that stuff and I got that whole advert part gone anyway.

I'm not angry so much as annoyed. This is kinda like all the Farmville posts on Facebook (why is everyone addicted to that game?!??!).

:O My mom and I just got addicted to that game and that's all we ever post about. :* However, I never see Facebook advertising it, it's being advertised by the people playing. With Neopets, the only people who would want to advertise PPP are TNT.

This is probably what everyone feels and you worded it the best!

Thank you, Spiderfly. :)

I don't see it. And I don't use an ad blocker. Probably it just doesn't work on Chrome or the Altador Constellation layout.But this has gone too far. Me, like other people, find PPP boring, and don't enjoy it. And people who do enjoy it, don't need to be reminded of it every 5 seconds

I can confirm that it does not work in Chrome.

Might have to use IE to see it, lol.

Anyway, Viacom have gone a bit too far this time. When I saw this news post, I thought "What a load of crap this is."

Sure, I used to love PPP when it first came out, but now it's borrring.

I didn't mind the little banner on the front page. Now, they might have gone too far.

However, I would just like to point out that Disney do it, they change the background of their front page to promote their new movie (or TV show). Nick do it too, I think. So Neopets isn't the first one to do it in the Viacom camp. A lot of "kids" sites do it. It's so little kids say "Hey, that looks cool" and then play/watch/buy the product.

Lion, I think the Disney example is a little different because they are promoting one of their own products or movies. This is hardly the first website to use a full background as advertisement, but it's questionable in our eyes because obviously Petpet Park isn't paying for the advertisement, they are getting it free and Petpet Park is barely related to Neopets so Neo might claim they are advertising for one of their own features, but honestly, they are separate websites on separate domains with separate characters and ways of doing things.

Lion, I think the Disney example is a little different because they are promoting one of their own products or movies. This is hardly the first website to use a full background as advertisement, but it's questionable in our eyes because obviously Petpet Park isn't paying for the advertisement, they are getting it free and Petpet Park is barely related to Neopets so Neo might claim they are advertising for one of their own features, but honestly, they are separate websites on separate domains with separate characters and ways of doing things.

You make quite a valid point there. I totally forgot about that.

Still, Neopets, Nick, PPP and MTV are all owned by Viacom. Everybody knows that. (well, most) So technically, Viacom, the current owners of Neopets, are advertising their own product. It's like Nick putting Neopets all over their front page, in a way.

I hope that the above sentences make sense. xD They probably don't, posting at a quarter past eight in the morning isn't so good.

BUT, like you said, Viacom were still very wrong putting an ad like this all over another website. Totally different domain, way of doing things, etc etc.

I tried to play Petpet Park, but I never really got the point, or had any reason to play it. You don't earn Neopoints, or items, or anything useful for Neopets while doing it. It doesn't run properly for me, and frankly, there are much better games on the mainsite. If I want to play a multiplayer game, I'll stick to Warcraft, thanks. All these ads are just... aggravating. I mean, there's a whole new plot out- we're not hearing about that even though it's far more related to Neopets than this other game. What's the deal?

I dislike Petpet Park strongly.

The flash was laggy, and it took up too much space on my computer. Apart from that, it was boring.

I am fine with Petpet Park existing, although the advertising is becoming overwhelming.

I wish TNT would lay off a little on the advertising, let alone the site theme.

You make quite a valid point there. I totally forgot about that.

Still, Neopets, Nick, PPP and MTV are all owned by Viacom. Everybody knows that. (well, most) So technically, Viacom, the current owners of Neopets, are advertising their own product. It's like Nick putting Neopets all over their front page, in a way.

I hope that the above sentences make sense. xD They probably don't, posting at a quarter past eight in the morning isn't so good.

BUT, like you said, Viacom were still very wrong putting an ad like this all over another website. Totally different domain, way of doing things, etc etc.

Touche Lion, Touche! That's all I have to say. lol