Am I the only one that's not excited for halloween?

bd84

I look around , and everyone seems more than happy to celebrate this morbid holiday.

When I was a kid, one of my friends was banned from participating because her mother thought it was devil worshiping.... and now I enjoy things leading up to it, but on Halloween day, I will be mourning the death of a friend who passed on two years ago. So, I'm not looking forward to the anniversary of his death.

Am I all alone in not being happy on halloween? T_T

When I was a kid, one of my friends was banned from participating because her mother thought it was devil worshiping...

My dad's sister is like that with my cousin. She's never had a Halloween costume, had to go to the principals office if her school was having any sort of festivities, could never go out trick or treating... But makes her hand out candy. WHAT. THE. HECK. IS. THAT? :eh:

Poor girl is 12 and never gone out.

Sorry about your friend, bd. :(

... But makes her hand out candy.

Wow, that IS weird! I don't remember if my friend handed out candy or not.... o.o I should ask her.

^_^ Thanks, I'm rather afraid of Halloween since I think an evil spirit he captured on film got him... the camera was destroyed but man it was creepy! @_@

I'm sorry about your friend, and I agree with you about the holiday. People used to be really scared about this because they really thought it was the day evil beings were let lose to goof around. Now we mock that fear by dressing up and getting treats for it. It is so odd how that turned around

First of all, I am sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. That is not something that is easy to cope with, and having it associated with a holiday (or activity) does tend to ruin it for quite a few years. That is something I can understand and relate to. My dad died at Christmastime (many years ago), and it took me about ten years to stop dreading Christmas.

I have to admit that Halloween is my favourite holiday. But, like all other holidays in North America, it has taken strong departure from it's original intent, and has become a completely commercial day. That disappoints me greatly, and makes me feel much less festive about it. I don't understand why we can't seem to have fun in Western society without spending a pile of money on useless junk.

Many different cultures hold festivals to celebrate the lives of their loved ones that have passed on from this world, and Halloween was meant to be one such celebration. Various mythologies believe to be the day when the spirits of the dead can pass more easily into the mortal world, so people would use it as a day to wish well to their departed friends and relatives. However, people also believed that their may be malevolent spirits about, so they would wear scary costumes and carve apple lanterns or jack-o-lanterns to keep the unwelcome spirits away. (Hmmm... this doesn't seem to have much to do with getting a sack full of candy.)

Personally, I don't really understand how dressing up in a costume can equate into devil worship, but I also don't believe in devils and demons. I mean, isn't worship something that you have to consciously do? I don't think that someone can accidentally worship something. Costumes are meant to be make-believe fun, that's all.

I'm not a huge fan of Halloween because my folks spread their paranoia to me about evil stalker-kidnappers and poisoned candy. While I'm not as paranoid, it kinda killed the interest. I still look forward to Homestar Runner's Halloween cartoons, though.

And in line with everyone else, my condolences about your lost friend.

*laughs* I'd still dress up if I'd not get odd looks for it since I'm over 20, and even when I was 11 people gave me weird looks and told me I was too old for it, since I was taller than most kids my age.

ROFL! Yes! The sales are great! The candy and the decorations are so great!

^_^;; That was a really horrible halloween.... several things just went really wrong all at once... but I'm excited to see my 3 year old cousin dress up for it - he's going to be a cow!

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

My church discourages children from going out trick-or-treating, but I think it's more of a safety issue than anything else. Who knows what strangers are putting into your child's candy and chocolates. After hearing about some sick people putting tiny knives and poison in candies, we were never allowed to go trick-or-treating. I don't like Halloween at all, and I think the economy dampens people's mood to celebrate this holiday as I haven't seen much decorations this year.

Also, some Koreans and Japanese think this is a cosplay (dress-up) day. -_-;;

Oh man... So sry about your friend :(.

I used to live in Singapore where some people aren't even aware of Halloween. In Australia, it isn't big, but there are kids dressing up and coming to get candy. My mum just bought a large bag of lollipops for them today (shall steal some!).

For me, I've got an exam this Saturday. Talk about omens indeed...

Actually, Halloween wasn't really considered a day when the dead were more connected with the living, at least not at first.

See, Pope Boniface II (I think that's who it is) declared November 1st to be All Saints Day, where we celebrate the holiness of saints. Hallow is a word that is a synonym of sanctify, so the day before All Saints Day became known as Hallow's Eve. It's not hard to see how that soon became Halloween. People celebrated this day by mocking pagan beliefs and evil spirits to show the saint's triumph over all of the evil things.

So it really bothers me when people say Halloween is about devil worship. It's really quite the opposite.

Actually, Halloween wasn't really considered a day when the dead were more connected with the living, at least not at first.

See, Pope Boniface II (I think that's who it is) declared November 1st to be All Saints Day, where we celebrate the holiness of saints. Hallow is a word that is a synonym of sanctify, so the day before All Saints Day became known as Hallow's Eve. It's not hard to see how that soon became Halloween. People celebrated this day by mocking pagan beliefs and evil spirits to show the saint's triumph over all of the evil things.

So it really bothers me when people say Halloween is about devil worship. It's really quite the opposite.

The festival of Samhain, which was celebrated by the ancient Celts and Gaels, fell on the last day of October. It was seen as a day to celebrate both the passage of the warm season and as a festival of the dead. Ancient Celtic mythology does regard this as a day when the spirits of the dead were more able to interact with the living. This festival well predated Christianity.

I dont really care how it came to be, I just LOVE halloween. Most (if not all) of our holidays are based on pagan tradition (including christmas...) ...

I think halloween is just FUN! You get to dress up as whatever you want, and become a kid again (or if you are a kid, you get to have fun, and get free candy!! whats not to love!!) Plus I LOVE halloween movies, and spooky stuff. This is just the best holiday ever.

(and im super sad its over now! :( *sigh*)

-- and sorry to hear about your friend :( thats terrible.