"You should do this class because it helps the school."

Aly

This is not a flaming topic, it's just something I need to get out:

At the beginning of every semester of school I always spend at least a week in the counseling office just trying to figure out my schedule. I know what I want to take so I request it (obvious thing to do) but they always put me in a higher level class. Freshman year I let it slide and kept the 3 honors classes and two college level classes. Sophomore year I started getting annoyed and dropped 2 of the 3 honors but was put into another college level class and they refused to change it. And now, I'm a Junior, planning to graduate early and go to the college I go accepted into and double major in nursing and chemistry, and I am rushing to get all my credits in. I didn't want to stress myself out this year and give myself easy-ish classes so I could do swimming all year. So I go in and pick the classes I want and my counselor just kept giving me reasons why I couldn't be in the class and she would send me back out to the board to pick a different class. By the fifth time I was angry and I just wanted to get my classes that I wanted because they helped my future careers. I demanded that I have these 8 classes and that I would not go back out to the board and pick different ones. All she said back to me was: "I don't think you should take those classes, take something easier and help make your school look good."

I couldn't believe that was all she cared about. Our school is already ranked in the top 10 schools of the state, why do I need to help when it's doing fine on it's own? Why can't counselors give us the classes we want instead of picking them for us to make the school look good. I even went to the principle to get things straightened out and he tried to get me to replace my classes as well.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Maybe I'm being too selfish?

I don't know.. haha. I got the classes I wanted. But I'm going to have to fight my counselor again in January, any advice so I don't have to spend days trying to get it right?

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Meowy) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post. Use the edit button instead.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Wowww thats harsh and sad

all that pressure is.... YIKESSS

i come from a nice little "city' not really a city

example:kind of like arcadia or san marino in CA but a lot smaller

we have like 2000-2500 student in the highschool [most likely less]

and our counselors dont do that o..o

well we have a lot less competition, even though there are a lot of smart asians

[not being racist, im asian and im super lazy and average]

you could tell them :screw you i'll take the class want and theres no law that gives you any right to choose/tell me what to choose the classes that i want.

fight for your rights (:

sorry if im of no help ): i seiously have no idea how you feel O-O

and ther is NO way that youre being selish

its your life and the decisions that they/you make affect YOUR life/future

its not selfish to have your own beliefs/opinions/views, and having the right to choose is a gift that every humn being has

its ironic cus my elementary&middle schools' logo is "you have the power to choose' its painted in bright red,blue,gold on the side of our school buildings LOl (;

wow sorry if my rantings sound annoying and cliche :P

This is a problem that you will run into for the rest of your life. You are trying to do something that benifits you but could "be bad" for others. Honestly you just need to remember that people are mostly out to help themselves. If you want to take certain classes take them. It is your education not theirs. I personally just got into this same sort of argument with my advisor in college. She wants me to do everything her way or i am doing it wrong. As long as you are taking classes to help you graduate then don't worry and don't get worked up.

Oh and by the way when you go from honors classes to normal classes like you have done normally they ask a bunch of questions and try to defer you from doing it. I did the same thing in high school. I was in all the advanced classes and eventually I just went back to all the normal classes despite the protesting of everyone else. Then again we were rated the one of the top high schools in the state but its not saying much since we are one of the bottom 3 states for public schooling. haha.