Bad Language/HTML Filter Opinions

NeoOlogy

Bad Language/HTML Filter  

67 members have voted

1. 1. How often does the Bad Language/HTML filter annoy you?

• Every minute
    • Every hour
    • Every day
    • Every month
    • Almost never
  2. 2. What does the filter normally block you for?

• Bad language
    • HTML
    • Something that shouldn't be blocked at all

Has the bad language/HTML filter ever annoyed you?

Today when I was adding a notice to my Lab Log that it will no longer be updated, the filter blocked the update for "* hit". Since it is a lab log, it would obliviously have "* hit" when one of the effects are "... and he gains __ maximum hit points!!!!". This is the third time since I created my current main account that the filter blocked an update because the offensive "word" was already in the existing content before it was blocked.

Has the filter annoyed anybody here because new filters block updates because it is in the existing content. I think I'm leaving my log the way it is because I'm too lazy to think of a new format for something I'm not going to touch anymore (except to copy and delete). TNT should really test for false-positives before updating their filter.

Who thinks the filter is getting too sensitive and should be tested for false-positives (things that should be fine but detected as a problem)?

I was going to make a pet with a Sanskrit name, Abhivakshita, and it was blocked for having profanity in it...

Though there are some things that I wish were blocked a bit more...

Like the kind of craziness that's taking over the HC... :grrr:

Yeah a lot of times people bypass the filter by using an obvious abbreviation for it. And i think that that is just as bad because everyone knows what is trying to be said. I had them block a line of a little kids song because it had something like bite in it.

Yeah a lot of times people bypass the filter by using an obvious abbreviation for it. And i think that that is just as bad because everyone knows what is trying to be said. I had them block a line of a little kids song because it had something like bite in it.

I hate that the filters block words that are normal words, but can be considered "dirty" in certain contexts. I think this bugs me more when playing Word Pyramid than it does on the boards or in neomail. For instance, the word "strip" does not immediately conjure images of something that happens at seedy nightclubs. I think of a narrow piece of paper and my favourite cut of steak, not adult entertainment. And "witch" isn't allowed either. Poor Edna and Sophie! Seriously, TNT!

I don't like the filters. One thing that annoys me is that I post something harmless and it blocks my post for bad language, when I've seen people cuss with no abbreviations, just the word(s) as plain as the ground under my feet. That makes me angry. :angry:

The only time it blocked something for me was when I typed "password" in my guild cuz I thought somebody hacked into my account.

Has the filter ever annoyed me? When has it ever not annoyed me? <_< I understand things like that are hard to manage, but when bad language has little problem getting through, while perfectly normal words and contractions are blocked, you know you're doing something wrong.

You'd think that, being funded by a corporation as large as Viacom, Neopets would have access to decent filtering software (with some grasp of context, say)...

• 2 weeks later...

I was rping Warriors once in my old guild and my character fell into a hole. Well that's the phrase it blocked. I had to write "a whole" because TNT is so dumb D:

And my HTML get's blocked all the time :(

It's the stupid stuff that really bothers me; words that don't even have a double meaning, but *could* be read a different way if one really wants to use a lot of colorful imagination. I don't go to the boards, but I've had lots of issues with that when posting in my guild. Once my message was stopped just because I sent another member a hug. That's annoying :S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you get the angry meerca when you try to post on a guild board, and it hightlight you that the problem is punctuation, hit your back button and add an apostrophe at the start of your message. It will go through :) Or start all your messages with an apostrophe.

As for the rest of the site... they randomly decided to block something I had on a lookup on my premade page. It had always been okay before, but one day the code decided not to go through and I'm not sure of why. It can get annoying sometimes, yes, but it's an attempt to make the site secure... even if it's not always the best.

Its mostly just stupid stuff... like I accidentally type LMAO. and then it tells me I can't have profanity, and then when I click back my whole message is gone. -_- sooo very annoying.

I know! When I type something like....."My day today wasn't as bad as last monday" it gets me for typing 'bad as'. Those words are formal and should not be blocked. "the a word" is not that bad anyway. Definetly not worth blocking that phrase. It get me all the time for that. It's so annoying I really wish that neo would check it out....I got suspended so many times for no reason at all, I didn't do anything wrong and it would suspend me.

Whenever I send an application to adopt a krawk, TNT blocks it for being too long. Also sometimes the foster would want to know about my previous account. And when I try to tell them I can't get to my old account because I forgot my password, they filter it and tell me to do it again. When I NEVER told my password or gave a hint on what it is. Also I write a story (I'm good at role play) and it says no profanity. What the heck is that anyway? It always bugs me.