Shenkuu sweeps the Roos!

Guest Krawk Islander

Guest Krawk Islander

Yesterday was quite a normal day at the Colosseum, provided no surprises or big shocks. The events of a sunny, but calm Saturday put all the critics in a flurry verbal discussion on their thoughts for this day. We now have the (quite unsurprising) results. AA, you're on (since BJ seems not to be here)!

shenkuu_group.gif

"Thanks HBK! Yes, unfortunately BlackJaguar is still not back on the field yet. I've just learned that he's had an allergic reaction to one of the salves the Altadorian medics used to treat him, so he'll be out of it longer than expected. Hopefully he'll be back up to speed tomorrow, but for now you'll have to endure my dull voice for the duration of this report.

Well, it's not often in the Altador Cup that you see a day free of draws or close wins, but today has truly been a day of marked victories (or losses depending on your point of view). To summarise the more predictable results: Altador, the Darigan Citadel, Mystery Island, Tyrannia, and the pirates all had a distinct upper hand over their opponents, with Krawk Island managing an across-the-board sweep of the mermaids. The Haunted Woods also managed a victory over the Lost Desert mummies, although the match was decided by the minor side games - the teams drew in both Yooyuball and Slushie Slinger.

Kreludor managed another remarkably brilliant outcome, taking down the knights in all four games. It seems that of last year's 'dark horses', Kreludor is the team that has improved the most, effectively retaining their status as the AC's 'Assassin team'. When asked, a few of Kreludor's fans attribute their recent knockout matches to hard training and improved practice equipment (brought in by increasing levels of commerce to the once remote moon). One Meridell fan, on the other hand, attributes it to luck and shady behind-the-scenes NP exchanges; the rest were mysteriously unavailable for comment - whether they were sulking or playing hard to spring back in the next match is unknown.

Finally, in the most prominent match-up of the 6th, the Roos suffered their third total defeat in a row at the hands of team Shenkuu. Analysts had previously been skeptical concerning Shenkuu's performance in this match, considering their previous lack of an effective offence against opponents that should have been easy to beat. However, it's clear from today's accomplishment that the ninjas really do have what it takes, once they get serious and put their backs to the wall that is.

The outlook for the Roos, I'm afraid, is rather more bleak. Lilo Blumario and his team held a press conference only a few minutes earlier to explain their lack of success in this year's matches - they didn't exactly have much of a choice, considering the threatening looks on the faces of their sponsors. Here's the team captain's somewhat upbeat assessment:

We've had almost a full year to refine our skills since our victory in last year's cup, and that year wasn't wasted. We built on our strengths, eliminated many of our weaknesses, and honed every working offensive and defensive strategy we developed to absolute perfection. And that, I'm sorry to say, is where our problem lies.

Every team we've faced this year has brought a new, radical, unexpected gameplan to the field. In every single match we've played so far, we've been taken by surprise, although that didn't stop us from pulling off a few victories. It's clear, however, that with this year's strategies, improvement and building simply isn't enough. We should have made sure to bring a few new tactics to the field, something to add a little spin to our playing. After all, it's only to be expected that every other team in the running has been sizing us up and probing for our inherent flaws.

But this is also the good news: it's not our skill or capacity that's bringing us down. We have the players, we have the experience, we have everything we need to take the cup for a second year in a row. What we have to do is find a new way to put it together - that's something known as adaptive teamwork, and if you'll excuse us: we have a championship to win!

Well, Lilo Blumario certainly seemed hopeful that his strategy adjustments would pull his team back to the top. That's perfectly understandable however, because if they don't, there will be a lot of fans, and some powerful sponsors, calling for his head - and I'm not talking photographs!

That's enough from me for today. Our best wishes go to BlackJaguar (send the medics angry letters, I hear they're terrified of those)! This is AA, reporting for The Daily Neopets, signing off."

Well, you sure summed it up very nicely. We'll look towards the way Roo Island fares over the next week or so, and make more judgments then.

P.S. Poor BJ, he's certainly having a streak of bad luck...

*mouth hanging open* Imagine my shock when I opened up Neo and spotted that Shenkuu had swept the Roos. Still, happy for our team but shocked!

Is this the dread cup curse rearing its ugly head? :(

Also, get well soon, BJ! *sends over cookies*

And we were actually hoping to beat KI after they drew with DC the day before. Meh. :P

Shenkuu finally got a topic title with them in it this year! YAY!

I was quite shocked to see that we had SWEPT the Roos, too. I thought we would win in at least a mini-game or two, but not that we were going to sweep 'em!

PS: To BJ: Get well soon, and never ever trust the ointment that the medics give you! ;D *sends cookies by plane*

*writing multiple lengthy, angry letters to the Altadorian Medical Association*

Best wishes BJ! Coverage just isn't the same without your reports. ;)

And congratulations to Shenkuu! You earned the title mention! :P

Good luck to the Roos as well! The curse can't stay around forever!

Also, in case anybody's interested, I'll post TDN's weighted leaderboard. This should be programmed into our standings page soon.

Position Team
1 Kreludor
2 Krawk Island
3 Mystery Island
4 Shenkuu
5 Darigan
6 Lost Desert
7 Tyrannia
8 Haunted Woods
9 Maraqua
10 Roo Island
11 Virtupets
12 Kiko Lake
13 Terror Mountain
14 Meridell
15 Altador
16 Faerieland

Meridell is 5 ranks below us - let's sweep them! (hopefully...)

Poor Faerieland... always close to the bottom. :(

Get well BJ! :worried: And if the meridell participants offer you a berry, you might not want that either, I heard that they have dung where you pick berries :laughingsmiley:

Yes! I thought DC was under LD for sure.....

Good job, Ninjas :laughingsmiley:

Though I'm still confused how Virtupets managed to win two side games against us. I've been wondering for two days and now seeing as they are 11th - I'm confused even more. *confused, seriously*

Good job, Ninjas :laughingsmiley:

Though I'm still confused how Virtupets managed to win two side games against us. I've been wondering for two days and now seeing as they are 11th - I'm confused even more. *confused, seriously*

That was probably due to people thinking "Well, Virtupets will be easy. I'll just play a few games to increase my spending points for the prize shop, and concentrate on the harder opponents later on." Obviously, such thinking cost us a few side games that we should have won (and would have, if people hadn't been slacking off).

Also, in case anybody's interested, I'll post TDN's weighted leaderboard. This should be programmed into our standings page soon.

<table align="center" cellpadding="5px">

<tr><th>Position</th><th>Team</th></tr>

<tr><td>1</td><td>Kreludor</td></tr>

<tr><td>2</td><td>Krawk Island</td></tr>

<tr><td>3</td><td>Mystery Island</td></tr>

<tr><td>4</td><td>Shenkuu</td></tr>

<tr><td>5</td><td>Darigan</td></tr>

<tr><td>6</td><td>Lost Desert</td></tr>

<tr><td>7</td><td>Tyrannia</td></tr>

<tr><td>8</td><td>Haunted Woods</td></tr>

<tr><td>9</td><td>Maraqua</td></tr>

<tr><td>10</td><td>Roo Island</td></tr>

<tr><td>11</td><td>Virtupets</td></tr>

<tr><td>12</td><td>Kiko Lake</td></tr>

<tr><td>13</td><td>Terror Mountain</td></tr>

<tr><td>14</td><td>Meridell</td></tr>

<tr><td>15</td><td>Altador</td></tr>

<tr><td>16</td><td>Faerieland</td></tr>

</table>

Wait a minute,i am a haunted woods supporter, and didnt we beat MI,LD,MQ,and TY?

You only beat LD and us Maqs barely. :P Also, the table is based on a weighted aggregate of your performance in all games so far, so until we have more data, you might actually rank lower than a team you can beat. ;)

Roo Island's dropped to tenth? :O

Unfortunately, three total defeats in a row will do that to you. :(

You only beat LD and us Maqs barely. :P Also, the table is based on a weighted aggregate of your performance in all games so far, so until we have more data, you might actually rank lower than a team you can beat. ;)

Unfortunately, three total defeats in a row will do that to you. :(

ok

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Maruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please make sure all posts have at least seven words. Quotes don't count.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Well we are in second but at least this week is not as hard as last week. We should hopefully take the first position by the end of the week. Either way i find it funny that the two teams that i was trying to pick between are 1st and 2nd right now.

<table align="center" cellpadding="5px">

<tr><th>Position</th><th>Team</th></tr>

<tr><td>1</td><td>Kreludor</td></tr>

<tr><td>2</td><td>Krawk Island</td></tr>

<tr><td>3</td><td>Mystery Island</td></tr>

<tr><td>4</td><td>Shenkuu</td></tr>

<tr><td>5</td><td>Darigan</td></tr>

<tr><td>6</td><td>Lost Desert</td></tr>

<tr><td>7</td><td>Tyrannia</td></tr>

<tr><td>8</td><td>Haunted Woods</td></tr>

<tr><td>9</td><td>Maraqua</td></tr>

<tr><td>10</td><td>Roo Island</td></tr>

<tr><td>11</td><td>Virtupets</td></tr>

<tr><td>12</td><td>Kiko Lake</td></tr>

<tr><td>13</td><td>Terror Mountain</td></tr>

<tr><td>14</td><td>Meridell</td></tr>

<tr><td>15</td><td>Altador</td></tr>

<tr><td>16</td><td>Faerieland</td></tr>

</table>

Kreludor- very easy first 5 days

Ki-God team. Hard first week

MI-Easy first week except for LD which they swept (somehow?)

SK- Good team. Kinda hard first week.

DC- Hardish first week. (possibly thir comback?)

LD- Hardish first week (slacking...)