Closing Threads

Guest shanemk

Guest shanemk

Why is this rule in place? Quite a few times I've seen a topic I would have liked to reply in but the thread was closed by a forum mod w/the 21-day rule being the reason.

This rule is in place to avoid a phenomenon called "grave digging", which is the resurrection of literally dead threads. They are generally outdated and have obsolete information.

Posting in the topic only contributes more to the off-topic and straying away from the main subject the TC (topic creator) meant at the time of their post.

Basically, old topics should just R.I.P.

Definition of grave digging (just for informational purposes):

One who finds out dated threads that are unlocked therefore still live and adds post(s) to them often deceiving other forum members into thinking the content is current.

shanemk,

We appreciate your concern. The reason why we close older threads and/or discourage members to post in older threads is exactly because of what HBK said above. We don't want obsolete information or old discussion being bumped up to the top; we want to encourage new discussion about the latest events happening on Neopets and in everybody's real lives. b)

If you wish you could have responded to a topic that was closed some time ago, create a new topic with a similar subject, or try and find a topic that is similar to what you're talking about.

Does this answer your question?

Let me know if you have any other concerns. We'll leave this thread open to give you a chance to speak your mind :)

Guest shanemk

Ok so necroposting. I get that, but it seems kinda odd the forum allows pointless, spam filled, memory-eating threads like "last person to post wins!" but closes older threads that someone takes genuine interest to.

Well, I think (at least for the time being), those threads aren't eating up a significant amount of memory. And if you can't have light-hearted fun, people won't want to stay. By the way, those threads are all in the "Word Games" section, so they don't count towards post count, in case you were wondering. As for threads that you're interested in, you're welcome to post a new one, just like Ian said.

Guest shanemk

Polemarch it isn't about post count, it's that I think the priority on that type of thread vs slight-necro posting. And threads like THAT are pointless, and everytime someone clicks on a thread with a high reply count, puts stress on a server. And in that threads case, its pointless stress.

Not to mention most forums have rules in place barring "last post wins" threads, for good reason.

It may be pointless to you (and me), but it's fun for others, and we must respect that. As such, topics which might have interest to you might not have any relevance to others. However, if they break the 21 day rule, it must be closed. Those are the rules.

And we do have rules in the 'Word Games' section. True, they may be a bit more liberal, due to the nature of the board, and it not counting towards your post count, but everyone has to be according to the forum rules except for maybe word post count.

The only rule not put into place in the Games Forum is the seven-word rule. Everything else still applies, including necroposting. This whole forum site doesn't have to be all strict. The game forum lets people have a little fun without having to worry about word count. Even if it's something as pointless as the "Last to post wins" thread, if it's fun to some people, then let them post there. If we start setting limitations on what kind of games you can play, people won't want to post there, or on this forum. They'll get bored and leave.

Sorry if this sounds brash, but just because you think something is pointless does not mean it is to everyone else.

Guest shanemk
but just because you think something is pointless does not mean it is to everyone else.

Then get rid of the 21 day rule. Push for 60 days instead of 21, something.

Thank you for your input. I think we are just going to discuss it further at our staff meeting or let the moderation team make a decision about it.

why not make a pole and see what everyone else thinks. do forgive the spelling but yea, basically why not let everyone have a say, so far we've only heard from one person on the site who wants to repeal the rule. yes yes im just a newbie but you cant argue that i do have a point. i say use the information from the pole to help figure out what to do on this situation as it will give a better idea of how the rule change will be recived either way its done. ^..^ thats my two cents worth.

Ok, this is getting out of hand.

We allow people to comment on and suggest changes in the rules beacuse it allows members to understand them better and sometimes we are able to improve them. As it stands, this rule was increased from two to three weeks about a month ago. As Head Mod, I do not wish to extend it any further as anything over three weeks old that is truely that important a mod can offically reopen- other than that, dead topics should stay dead.

End of story.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Anime).

The original topic had been answered.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Anime if you have any questions regarding this action.