Which operating system do you prefer?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Well, which one?

• Linux
    • Windows
    • Mac
    • Other

Right now, Windows is winning the poll.

I've never liked Windows, but my Mum won't switch my computers to Mac, she just got used to Windows XP! W7 and Vista don't do much for me, I use almost Apple everything else, and I'm used to Linux, and that's why I voted Linux (plus, it's mascot is really cool :D) xD

Go Apple and Linux!

I guess that those people have never tried Mac. I have, and will switch, even if it costs me a lot of money xD I'm switching my music player to an iPod Touch in a couple of months too..

I've tried macs before, but I couldn't find myself to get used to them. The whole not-using-the-control-key thing is awkward for me, and how the mouse doesn't have the two buttons (makes it really hard to play first person shooters). Plus, I'm kinda a gamer, and not many games are compatible with macs, so I'll stick with windows.

• 3 weeks later...

In general I prefer Linux for its abilities and reliability but so far as compatability goes its not that great, but its still the favourite all the same. I'm using Windows though for the compatability x_x I don't mind Mac's but Linux is more familiar for me.

Mac because Vista fails. Good job Microsoft are prepping up awesome W7! *is beta-tester* :P

Ah. Vista. I absolutely hate Vista, so that's why I didn't choose Windows.

I definitely chose Mac because it's pretty awesome.

Linux is also cool, but not for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I choose Windows. I've tried a Mac for a year, and I absolutely hate it. It seems too cluttered, things are hard to find, and the mouse fails.

I'm not using, Vista, though. I'm using XP.

I've never tried Linux.

I choose Windows. I've tried a Mac for a year, and I absolutely hate it. It seems too cluttered, things are hard to find, and the mouse fails.

I'm not using, Vista, though. I'm using XP.

I've never tried Linux.

I would have to agree with you on the Mac criticisms. Especially the mouse on Mac.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mac, but yeah... I use Windows every day, so I know how to work it, like I've used XP for 4 years now (we got our first computer in 2004, running on '98) and I'm fairly used to Vista as well. So I know everything about Windows, how to find stuff etc etc.

As for Linux, well, don't ask when it comes into the picture. XD

I am a geek, a semi-experienced programmer, and was briefly a hacker-in-training. So yeah, Linux, no question. :)

(Proprietary software? Blech! :sick01: )

You can set the mighty mouse to have regular left and right click, not just 1 button :P.

And the mighty mouse is my favorite mouse. It's small in my hand and I love the exposé buttons on the side :P

Also, I don't think things are hard to find at all. You can organise your files the way you want. I didn't feel lost in mac OS X for a second :P But this is just me. I believe it's organised more like a mind map, and definitely better than on Windows.

I still hate Macs.

Mainly the mouse. I'll be trying to click on something, I accidently squeeze the buttons on the side, and a whole bunch of Dashboard crap pops up. :(

Never had that problem with mah PC. :(

Things are extremely easy to use on Mac, I must say. The two months or so during which I used Mac OS X Leopard really proved that. First, Spotlight > any kind of Windows Search (is Vista EVEN considered?!). It's SO fast. Here on Windows 7 if you search 'mail' it takes 3 sec or so to show the 'Windows Live Mail' icon. Spotlight, 1 sec or so AND it can find index files quickly on a pen drive or external HD.

As for the mouse, I must agree with Morgan on some aspects. Yes, it's certainly an unorthodox mouse in terms of usage - e.g. people not familiar will have a bit of difficulty controlling it. I have used a Mighty Mouse, and the Expose buttons certainly help, but I wouldn't trade my awesome general mouse which is much better, albeit more "standard". It has back/forward buttons on each side, and is really good for restocking, which I couldn't imagine doing with the MM. And that scroll ball is so small, compared to the wheel, which is much more practical.

In spite of this, I still prefer Mac in many aspects except for programming in Visual Basic, because due to the lack of Visual Studio on Mac, I have to still resort to Windows.