is it worth it?

dazngurl

heyy, im not sure if this was already posted so i apologize in advance. anyway..

is it worth getting all those pet laboratory maps to be able to zap your neopets?

i know they're expensive and i dont know if i should get them or not.

any help?

thanks,

>>dazngurl<<

Well it depends:

If you're willing to take a risk and expect the unexpected from the lab ray, then sure, go ahead.

But I wouldn't recommend it if you're aiming for a specific pet, painting would be your best bet.

But of course, you could gain a lot more from the ray, stats, colour and species change. :D

I've gotten two avatars that required a certain type of pet just because I zapped them with the lab ray and it made them the species I needed!

Also one of my pets is super strong and has a lot of HP from the lab, so I say YES!

Hi! I completed the lab map just recently..

You can't expect much in the short run but you'll definitely get something in the long run! Especially if you want to train your pets to become stronger.

So like the others said, it's a pretty good investment (:

As for me, I won't risk using it on my favourite pet although I wish it can get stonger faster. I love it being a desert shoyru. :)

I am vehemently against the lab ray, and could give you a full essay rant (which i did unload before). However, this is a simple question, so i'll give it a short answer.

In the long run, yes, the Lab Ray is a useful and powerful gambling tool. Note i say gambling tool. Sure you may get lucky, maybe you're pet turns into the dream color you want in the very first strike, and your investment pays off highly. Or perhaps you spend two years zapping and never get what you really want.

On the subject of satisfaction, i would ask you to consider, is turning your neopets experience into a simple game of chance really that worth it? Many players i know all go, oh, i'll just get the lab ray, and then, it'll be the bringer of my dreams and all such nonsense. In my opinion, there is nothing that can replace the satisfaction of handwork, especially in neopets. There is also nothing that can replace the thrill of splurging and lavishing on your pet, the very one you created and spent 30 minutes deciding on (i dunno bout you, i spent nearly that amount of time ^^), and striving to make him or her the strongest, the most beautiful etc etc. In my opinion, its this bond that can be created, virtual or not, that truly makes Neopia worth visiting.

The lab ray however, destroys that bond, it replaces it with a shallow and lifeless gamble, that perhaps the lab ray will make my pet better. Perhaps the lab ray will make my pet more beautiful, perhaps it'll somehow change its species into something more AWESOME. (this one always irks me no end) Tell me then, are you on Neopets to raise the pet YOU truly want, or on Neopets just to create a more beautiful ornament on the top left hand corner of your screen?

If you want the lab ray, consider what it means to the playable experience. Not like i have never tried the lab ray before, i have, and it sucked all teh fun from neopets away from me. I found out i was coming to neopets more and more for the gambling CHANCE than to seriously work and take care of the pet i chose myself. I soon realized the truth of this Drug however, and i left in disgust. Gave the entire account to a good friend of mine (who unfortunately, is mad about the labray), and created a new one, the one im using now, and the one im so much more satisfied and pleased with.

So my answer, no, do not use the lab ray. Use the one million, get yourself investments, upgrade your shop, buy stocks, or save, work harder, and get that Paint Brush, Morphing potion etc. You'll feel the pride then.

(Note, i do know the good points of the lab ray (etc, zapping abandoned pets so they may have a better chance of getting an owner), however, it is my opinion, that its cons far outweigh the pros)

I LOVE having the map. When I first started playing I never zapped any pets, so it was worthless. Then I would zap one once and leave I that way for a year. Now I get a pet in the pound, zap it until it is unusual and then pound it again. I have done that with 4-5 pets, and they have all been adopted from the pound (painted island, jelly, camouflage etc).

I have also gotten some avatars which would have taken millions of points to make (buy paint brushes, etc). Lots of my pets pet got turned into something really cool that I won't zap anymore.

Here are my opinions.

For Avatars: The lab ray can give you tons of avatar from just one pet. However, instead of waiting for it to change to the needed pet, why not just use TDN's Avatar Lending Program right? :D

For Battledome: Seriously, I prefer to handle my pet's training with my own Fast Training Guide than on pure luck..

For Customization: Well, a free paint job is always good and there are colors that are only available via the lab ray. (But if you ask me.. I would rather savor the satisfaction of saving up and paint my own pet.)

Conclusion: The Lab Ray is a nice feature of Neopets. Different people have different sources of satisfaction. If you are the kind of people that like surprises and is always feeling lucky, then gamble away! :woot:

I used not to like the lab much...

But you also have to remember it gives some exclusive colors that you cannot get from paint brush. One of my Aisha turned Chocolate within the first week. That's priceless.

Yes it's gambling and all... but you can now also trade the pets you get for something you had wished for and have never gotten.

However, I would not zap all of my pets. Only new one or ones that I'm not attached to or don't have plans for. I know Anime is zapping to get something specific (Maraquan Eyrie) and it quite doesn't work for her... so far. So she keeps morphing back her pet into Eyrie. So far she has invested less than the cost of Maraquan PB which now all up to 10M NPs.

One thing I suggest you, if you want to get the lab, is to play Key Quest and hopefully you will get a few pieces from redeeming your keys. And if you are lucky, you will get some others in random events. So in the end, it won't cost you too much :)

Guest riwu0730

I think its worth it.

I heard that it will get your pets stats to 200+ if you keep zapping it everyday for 2 yrs.

Your pet's level will be low but its stats will be very high.

The best thing is: you did not even spend a neopoint training it!

Also you can get avatars when you zap it to a specified type.

When you are enough you can just buy a morphing potion and change it to a pet you like!

I like to put a bit of variety in my account instead of solely depending on the Lab Ray. My Mutant Lenny is being trained in Mystery Island and is currently my BD pet, my Uni is my lab rat, just in case I could get some cool colors here and there and I have a Grarrl that I keep around to ultimately become the Maraquan Grarrl that I've always dreamed him to be but I know I can't risk that with the Lab Ray so I'm saving up for a Maraquan PB. It's really your preference in how you want to use the Lab Ray. I just live in the best of both worlds so I can be rewarded by luck AND hard work.

I guess many people have said their views and this is what I have to say..

I would say that if you are willing to take the risk for results you get from the zap then feel free and since its so much easier to get lab maps now through KQ its actually not as expensive as before and there are chances you can get avatars from the zap.

For me, I zap it for the states of the pet (but not as much now) and also use it as a way to find out what my dream pet is since I don't really know what pet I want..

I think its worth it.

I heard that it will get your pets stats to 200+ if you keep zapping it everyday for 2 yrs.

Your pet's level will be low but its stats will be very high.

The best thing is: you did not even spend a neopoint training it!

Well that's not necessarily true.

See the lab ray tends to unbalance your pet. Your pet tends to have a low defense, medium strength, medium agility, and a very high health. You level can be medium or low, depending on whether or not you get the "decrease to level 1" zap or not (which is really really rare).

The thing is, if you ever want to train your pets, then you're gonna have to be spending lots of codestones to raise your level for a while so you can train other stats (because your endurance will be ridiculously high) and then by the time your level is high enough you'll be spending 3 or so codestones just to raise a level 10 defense.

But overall, I say it's definitely worth it. I used to use it all the time, but I've stopped ever since I got some really nice colors for my pets. I mean, the colors that are lab ray only are really nice. I got a Robot Jetsam and a Grape Chia from the lab ray, and from what I know, they're lab ray only, so they're rather rare. Plus, you can get two avatars and the petpet lab ray.

I love the lab ray. I don't use it on my main pets, though. I always create a decently-named new pet and zap it until it changes to a nice color, then I give it away. It may take a few months or a few days, but it's fun to not know what I'm going to get. And it's also fun to be able to make someone's day by giving them something special. :)

I don't use it on my main pets because I don't want to take chances on them changing into something else. They've been my pets since the beginning and I'm not willing to expose them to the lab ray. Now, using the lab ray to raise stats may work for some, but I'm not anywhere near where I'd need to use it for that. I still have the training school available. Even when I'm done with the training school, though, I still don't think I'd zap my Cybunny. It would just feel wrong. :(

My friend, Claire, zapped her poogle for the first time (both for her pet and her account) and it changed to MSP =D

I have had two lab accounts and both I didn't purchase. The first was a gift from a guild member (back when they were about 200k) and the second was my birthday present from Claire (the above mentioned Claire) and my friend Grace.

I've zapped daily for almost a year now...and have never really gotten anything too exciting from the lab, changing species, colours, but nothing notable. In fact if I spent the million or so on the lab I'd be pretty disappointed.

I like it, I've been zapping my pets for a whiiile now, my pets have been zapped into some cute colors, and I too have gained some avvies like the pink popcorn one, I guess if you have a pet/color combination in your mind the easiest thing is to save the money for the PB and/or Potion, if you don't, like me, it's fun to see what's going to happen to them today

I do want the Lab Ray, but I'll probably only zap two pets. I'll zap exotictemptaton (my main pet) and a fourth pet that I have yet to create. I know we have an Avvie Lending Program, but sometimes it takes many weeks or even months to get that pet, and besides...you get an avvie. -note that I said that meekly-