Has the Stock Market ever been effective for you?

Coco

I'm currently testing the waters for the Stock Market and I've invested 10k for a week now but everytime I look at my portfolio, I start to ask myself, "Boy, did the recession hit Neopets, too?" So of course, I wait for a more opportune time before I start to sell my stocks but I just don't know how long it would take me.

How about you, TDN community? Has the Stock Market been effective for you or do you prefer other ways of getting rich?

It's been effective. Never for me, because I just have bad luck with this kind of thing, but it's been very effective for people I know. I'm sure there's a strategy to it, but I don't know it. Someone else can help you out a bit more there. =]

It is highly effective - the strategy is simply patience. :P The stock market isn't a quick cash thing (unless you play it day trading style). Just buy stocks and around 15 NP, set a selling point (let's say, 40 NP), and wait a couple of months or so. Given time, you'll be able to make a steady (if slow) profit. Also, diversification is a good idea - buy a couple thousand shares from different companies. That way, you'll have a better chance of making a regular profit.

The stock market is my main source of income - I pretty much invest everything I earn from the stock market back into the stock market, thus generating a reasonable flow of NP. xD

Yup, like the people above it's mostly just a waiting game.

Though there are some stocks that I've seen that have been generally good to invest in. If you ever see TNAH in the 15-17 range, buy it! It'll be worth it.

But don't be afraid to invest! Stocks never go bankrupt! (well they can, but one hasn't in years, so I'm assuming they can't anymore)

The stock market is very effective, and not fast by any means.

The largest sell I've ever made was 4k sold for over 300k.

I have 9k invested just in COFL at the moment.

Well if you're looking for stock market guides, I'd say there's very little to rival Neodaq. ;)

It is highly effective - the strategy is simply patience. :P The stock market isn't a quick cash thing (unless you play it day trading style). Just buy stocks and around 15 NP, set a selling point (let's say, 40 NP), and wait a couple of months or so. Given time, you'll be able to make a steady (if slow) profit. Also, diversification is a good idea - buy a couple thousand shares from different companies. That way, you'll have a better chance of making a regular profit.

The stock market is my main source of income - I pretty much invest everything I earn from the stock market back into the stock market, thus generating a reasonable flow of NP. xD

Ah that'll be where I went wrong last time. Before I stopped playing I decided to buy some stocks (a grand total of 10 shares!) 5 at 59 a piece and 5 at 60 a piece.. right now they're selling at about 20 a piece. I could be here a while.

But I've now bought a few at 15 a share so we'll see what happens ^_^

It's been very effective for me. I just buy different stocks at 15NP and sell when they reach 150% or higher. I've made back more than I currently have invested in it right now, and that's almost 750k (spread out over 26 different stocks). You won't be selling stocks every day. Sometimes not even every week. But it's worth the wait because they virtually always go up. Sometimes you'll miss it, but you should catch enough of the price jumps to make it worth your time. It takes a lot of patience, but it's definitely been worth it, in my experience.

Oh yeah. It really works out in the end. You just have to be there. I haven't, but whatever. I can wait. There's one place in particular... I forgot the name, but you can see it as the one with the highest NP per share. That one moves really fast, if you catch it at the right time you'll make NP a lot faster than the regular stocks.

Actually, there was a time when POWR was down at 15 NPs, and rose to about 850, but you would've had to wait 5 years :P

Goes to show that patience counts though.

• 1 month later...

I haven't earned much neopoints from the stock market - but I don't think I'm patient enough to use it!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Stephanie~) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Do not bump a topic after 21 days.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Here's my question. What are the good stocks to invest in? Besides POWR of course?

I've been taking TDN's advice of buying at the low and selling for 100% or 150% profit. It's a pain, though, because I've seen stocks tank twice before they get high enough for selling. I have money in 6 stocks, but I don't even look at them more than twice a week. Definitely a lesson in patience, but in the end, it's supposed to pay out more than bank interest.

Are there any stock market guides? I've never actually tried to make money in it but you all make it sound like a smart thing to do :)

Someone's linked to a guide above, I haven't read it myself though lol

My Quick Guide to Stocks

1. Each day by 1000 shares in any stock that is currently at 15 NP per share. If more than one share is at 15 NP, try to buy one you don't have yet or you have less of - diversity pays off with stocks.

2. Set yourself a "sell point". This is the value you want your stocks to reach before you sell them. Sell points are a personal thing but often beginners will start of selling at 30 (or 100%) because you then manage to make more regular profits. Personally, I sell at 60 (or 300%) as I'm not desperate for NPs at the moment and this yields a bigger payoff.

3. When a stock reaches your sell point, sell your shares - and enjoy the profit!

As people have already mentioned, stocks are a long-term thing... unless you invest the time and research into learning daytrading you're not going to make instant Neopoints. Have patience and keep watching your portfolio, eventually something will reach your sell point!

Thats where the diversity comes in too: if you have all your shares in the same company, you could be waiting a long time for it to become profitable whereas with more variety you'll find different stocks shoot up at different times :) Also in the past TNT used to bankrupt stocks - none have gone in the last four or five years but if you had all your NP in one stock and it when bankrupt... bye-bye Neopoints lol

Try not to sell your stocks unless they are at your sell point! A good portfolio takes months or even years to build up, and if you sell them all off randomly you'll never start earning anything decent from it ;)

Finally, as part of the April Fools joke this year TNT crashed part of the stock market lol Nothing bankrupted, but almost every stock dropped significantly - my portfolio is still at -10% from that lol The stocks will rise again and now is actually a great time to start a portfolio because traditionally high stocks are falling around the buying mark. No stock is inherently better than the others, every one can fall and every one will eventually make you a profit which is all you really want as a beginner. There are some that usually run higher though, or go higher more often... I'm sure someone could come along and name tickers for you but I couldn't lol Stick to buying at 15 and selling at your sell point, you'll still make some good profits ^_^

(And in case you didn't guess, I <3 stocks lol)

Oh yes, the day after April Fool's this year was one of the best times (from when I've been stock marketing) to buy buy buy!

But as Izzy said, after Viacom took over, no stocks have really "bankrupted".

I use the guides linked, and Neodaq proved quite helpful for me when I was learning to market.

The Stock Market is a waiting game. Eventually, note I said eventually, the prices of the stocks will go up. Just recently, like 2 days ago, the price of SSS soared to over 120NP per share. I originally bought them for 15NP per share, and I had a few thousand shares, so I made a nice profit there.

I swear by the stock market, if i can't do anything else on neopets on a day i'll buy 1000 stocks at 15, i have over 3.5m invested into 42 of the 43 stocks available, i have made 1.9m this year so far. I also <3 stocks and track all of my buys and sells in a spreadsheet. I've bought 1000 stocks everyday since 14th October 2008 when i started keeping track. I strongly suggest people trying it out. Buy at 15 and sell at 60 at first after that you can work out your own sell point. I personally use a staggered system, feel free to ask about stocks but there are many more people who know more than me.

I make decent money in it. I buy at 15 (never higher) and then sell at 35 or higher. Today I sold ACHFI (or whatever it was) at 32 or 33 and still more than doubled my money. I buy 1000 shares a day sometimes from the same company if its the only 15 that looks decent but most of the time I invest in all different ones. Its by no means a get rich quick method but it does have its benefits - but requires patience.

Edit: I still have alot to learn thou.