Racial Description

dazara

It wasn't me writing that, it was the author of the webpage, I was giving a taste of what could be found.

At any rate, the argument still stands. Race is an invention of society to make certain people feel better about themselves, make them feel superior. But it doesn't help when black people perpetuate the stereotypes they have been shouldered with. I'm tired of hearing people get all defensive over a stereotype then in the next breath they perpetuate the stereotype. But i guess there are always going to be people who perpetuate stereotypes. Just don't argue that you aren't a prime example of the stereotype then act out the stereotype the next moment. Admit it and move on. No big deal.

And I'm pretty sure people in africa don't call each other the N word to bring solidarity between them. Maybe if they stopped using it themselves, the word would drop off the face of the planet?

Wait, I'm confused. Isn't this topic about whether it's okay to call people "black"? So why are we talking about how the Japanese claim they're smarter than the US because the US has mixed races?

I don't see anything talking about the Japanese claiming they're smarter than those in the US. Way to focus on a tiny bit of my post, rather than looking at the big picture about stereotypes and race. :P

Guest shanemk
It wasn't me writing that, it was the author of the webpage, I was giving a taste of what could be found.

At any rate, the argument still stands. Race is an invention of society to make certain people feel better about themselves, make them feel superior. But it doesn't help when black people perpetuate the stereotypes they have been shouldered with. I'm tired of hearing people get all defensive over a stereotype then in the next breath they perpetuate the stereotype. But i guess there are always going to be people who perpetuate stereotypes. Just don't argue that you aren't a prime example of the stereotype then act out the stereotype the next moment. Admit it and move on. No big deal.

And I'm pretty sure people in africa don't call each other the N word to bring solidarity between them. Maybe if they stopped using it themselves, the word would drop off the face of the planet?

Focusing on the last part here, black's didn't use the word when it first came around. Doesn't matter if they use it or not racists are still going to use it. People need to stop focusing on "THEY said it so why can't I" and just let IT go that its rsvp'ed.

I didn't even HEAR the n-word until I got to Alabama and my black classmates were calling each other it. And I wasn't talking about them saying it when the N word came into existence. I'm talking about NOW. In this day and age. To my knowledge only black people in America and the UK call each other the N word. And I never said if they can say it why can't I. I said they shouldn't, because that's one less person keeping that word alive.

It depends on how the word is said. It mainly comes down to your tone of voice.

If you said in a mean sounding voice, it would be taken more offensively than if you said it nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
o_0 You sound like a Wikipedia article.

My Social Studies/Human Geography/History teacher recommended we read The Bell Curve just to see what the public and scientific attitude was towards race. From his description, the authors were dead wrong. You mentioned that we can't truly be broken down into different races/species, but we CAN be broken down into different cultures, which is where most stereotypes come. An African can be the exact same skin tone as an "African American" (which is such a silly term), but have totally different stereotypes.

Out of interest, why do you say that the term African American is silly?

I can't imagine someone not being offended by being called "colored"...maybe it's different in England?

I also haven't heard about anyone having a problem being called "black." It's pretty standard.

Apparently the newest P.C. term is "Black American," since some people are sensitive and are offended by "African American." I'd guess it's because it implies that they're not completely American, they're African-American. And of course it doesn't even make sense for people from the Caribbean and other similar places who see their heritage not as African but as Dominican, Bahamian, etc. It may just sound like a generalization to them.

Because not all black people are from africa, and, you could technically call a white person from south africa & such an african american.

although my favotite insult I've ever heard, was when me & my friend were outside deflating something from a party, 2 guys walked by us and said "Hey look, It's a whitey!". I wasn't sure what their ethnicity was, but that's because it was very dark out & they were far away. It made me laugh.

That's what people should do. When someone uses a derogatory term against them, they should either laugh or say thank you, thereby reducing the effectiveness of the term, thereby making people not being able to effectively use it in a bad manner.

although, the only way to completely stop humans from using rasist terms is to kill every last human. no humans left, no humans to use the term. :evil:

Lol either that or genocide. Kill off everyone who doesn't have the same political views, skin color,or religion xD.

Oh, hi, I didn't notice you back there. Have you met my good friend Hitler? Seems like you two would get off nicely. :P

Lol either that or genocide. Kill off everyone who doesn't have the same political views, skin color,or religion xD.

Okay, seriously now? Genocide is NOT something to joke about, and it certainly doesn't belong in this debate. Stick with the topic, people. <_<

Okay, seriously now? Genocide is NOT something to joke about, and it certainly doesn't belong in this debate. Stick with the topic, people. <_<

Eh, sorry. Got a bit off... :*

Because most "African Americans" now aren't remotely connected to Africa, nor do they particularly care to be. I mean, you don't call people from Mexico living in the US "Mexican Americans". And you don't call Caucasians "European Americans".

Where have you been? People do call those from Mexico living in America Mexican-Americans. At least where I live they do O.o

And if you believe in the Out of Africa theory, we're all African-Americans from waaaaay back. :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hmm, I don't know. I hardly use those words, I call people 'white' but that's it. I'm Chinese, what would you call me? I've never been addressed as my colour before, just as Asian.

I don't know, I would probably refer to you as "asian" if it was relevant in some way to the conversation. but otherwise I would just refer to you by your name. ^_^

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Piruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics inactive for more than 21 days.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Piruto if you have any questions regarding this action.