Project Ideas

Strategos

Ok, I need some help here. I have a math project due, and I have to do an activity with everyone in the class. Now, as I hate activities and everything related to them, as well as being utterly uncreative, I need your help. What project should I do that will engage a class of 10th grade students for fifteen minutes on parabolas? It doesn't need to be insanely complicated, simple will be fine.

Wow.

Activity.

*shudders*

I know, lots of help I am.

What's worse is that it's a MATH project!!

*hides under a rock*

*insert light bulb moment*

Maybe hand out straws and get people to build them? Like, sticking one end of the straw into another and making shapes?

Maybe you could keep it simple. Divide the class into two teams, and then have each send up a representative, and they all take turns. So what you have them do is give them an equation they have to graph, and whichever side graphs it the quickest gets a point. Oh, and no graphing calculators allowed.

Is that what you're looking for?

Maybe you could keep it simple. Divide the class into two teams, and then have each send up a representative, and they all take turns. So what you have them do is give them an equation they have to graph, and whichever side graphs it the quickest gets a point. Oh, and no graphing calculators allowed.

Is that what you're looking for?

That's sort of what I'm looking for. The only thing is, the teacher says there needs to be a twist to it. Any more ideas?

How about before the aforementioned representative can solve a problem, they have to reach into a bag and pull out a slip of paper with some silly action that they have to perform, like "Quack like a duck 5 times" or something like that. Or, you could have a bag full of mystery foods that they have to pick out of before they can graph the parabola, and you can put stuff in like baby food.

If the project was due today then I guess I am to late, and this project would be a little time consuming but:

I was thinking you could bring in a collage with a bunch close up pictures on it, some which are parabolas...

and the people have to find the like 5 parabolas, but the twist is they also have to identify the object that made the parabola.

Like you could crop close up images of a McDonald's arch, the St Louis Arch, a rain drop, a satellite dish, and like half of a basketball hoop.

And then mix those images in with a bunch of other images, so people have to pick which ones are parabolas and then identify the objects.

And then whoever gets the most right wins like a candy bar or something...that's my idea anyway, hope I wasn't too late.

Thanks for all your ideas. I'm going to go over them one last time and pick one to use. :D

Gah, we're on parabolas too. I have an idea. Show them that a banana is like a parabola and go from there. xD

Or not. Don't listen to me.

Banana... parabola? If you say so. ;)